on 1 June 2014
I give this two stars because you do get some OK pens, and stencils. Paper is useless for Manga drawing as it bleeds like blotting paper. I'd hate to try my Promarkers, I dread to think what a mess it would make. I'll be giving the book to my Granddaughter to use her wax crayons on. I would have returned it, but as a previous reviewer stared you have to all but destroy the book to get the Sellotape off! Very disappointing.
on 9 February 2016
I bought this despite some of the negative comments just for the pens and outline speech bubbles. Pens are great and work well on other pads - they work ok on the pad provided it's just the paper is a bit scratchy so if you are heavy handed you'll probably either break the nib or bleed ink across the page.
For a starter pack which is all it is, it's perfectly acceptable. I've seen these sold in The Works for a few £ more so I guess you could always see if they have an open one for you to look at the paper quality.
on 13 November 2013
Amazing product for the price. My son has been watching loads of Japanese anime recently due to our membership of Lovefilm who have loads of titles so I decided to buy him this as a gift and must say was surprised at the quality for the price he was offered this at.
on 30 July 2015
I'm afraid I'm not very impressed with this. The frames were taped to the pad which damaged the front and back of the pad when I removed the tape. Cosmetic damage I suppose, but not a great start. The frames are too flimsy. I'm not impressed with the pens. The 'back-board' is too flimsy/bendy. The pad is a weird width (though of course, if you want this width, then it's perfect in that respect!)

On the plus side, it's cheap and it is paper, which is ultimately what you're buying - cheap paper.
on 31 March 2014
You cannot expect much these days for under a tenner.
However, the paper in the book is awfully scratchy and a bit like very hard toilet paper.
The shapes are such thin plastic you need to treat them with kid gloves or they split

Pens seem ok wonder how long the ink will last?

Last but not least...the pens and shapes were attached to the actual book itself by Sellotape. Trying to remove the Sellotape to reach the pens etc ripped the front and back covers of the book itself.
Who would do such a stupid thing with tape??
My new Manga pad looks secondhand now as it is ripped on all sides. Not a great start.
on 5 June 2015
I'm not one for complaining. I try to focus on the good found within imperfections. Wabi-Sabi. Having said that, I find myself unavoidably disappointed.
Firstly, one of the pens doesn't work , at all. The remaining pens seem fine and ideal for drawing Manga-esqe artwork however. A positive? It would be if the paper provided didn't bleed the ink excessively. Secondly, the stencils are relevant but poorly cut from a flimsy material. So why three stars?
Well, the price is very good considering what you get, regardless of quality. The paper will be fine for pencil work or as a scratchpad and the stencils may come in handy. On the whole, a mediocre set but, a good stocking filler for the artistically inclined.
on 10 March 2014
The pens are great. Three different levels of thickness. The pad is okay but the stencils are pretty flimsy and I expect will get lost as I don’t really see me using them. That being said the price is worth it for the pens alone.
on 6 December 2010
this is a great little pack the three pens are great as they are different thickness and good quality and the stencil is great too.
overall for the price this is great :D
on 15 September 2013
The paper is good for drawing, and the frames are very useful for people just starting out but there's one major flaw. I used the pens once, and they all ran out! I bough faber-castell manga pen set and they were much better
on 1 July 2013
Bought as gift for 14 year old who is magna mad, he loved it. The paper is good quality and he said the pens were fine.
A decent price I felt.