Customer reviews

on 13 June 2016
I have a Stagg US60s soprano ukulele which I bought, 2nd hand, a couple of years back. It has a solid spruce top - which is thinner and more refined than the current version of the same model (from direct comparison) - with mahogany back and sides and is comparatively resonant and sweet sounding, and certainly far more lively than the cheap all-laminate ukes we have at the school I work in. My uke came with black nylon strings, of unknown make.

The thicker, white Aquila Nylgut strings took quite a while to settle in and hold their tuning but the difference in tone was immediately clear; warmer, louder and more rounded sounding and possibly even more comfortable to play. Unfortunately, the new strings also changed the intonation so that the A string, which had sounded a spot-on octave (to my ears, anyway) at the 12th fret with the old nylon strings, now played as much as a quarter tone sharp. I persisted for a couple of weeks, enjoying the sound of the new strings, until I got fed up with everything above the 5th to 7th fret sounding out of tune with the open strings. I have now taken off the Nylguts and put my old strings back on while I investigate other options; my uke sounds noticeably tinnier, quieter and 'closed' by comparison with the sound with Aquilas fitted but at least it is in tune with itself.

It might be that I got a rogue set of Nylguts but I had read other reviewers claiming that their ukes' intonation was improved by fitting them, which does suggest that they tend to pitch differently from nylon strings. Or maybe my ukulele just has poor intonation and I was lucky that the strings it came with somehow compensated for it...?

In conclusion: These Aquila Nylgut strings should bring out the very best sounds from your ukulele but they could also affect the intonation (tuning), for better or worse. However, if you are a beginner, strumming chords using only the first few frets, the problems I encountered probably won't matter anyway; I am an experienced guitarist who is so delighted to find an instrument which offers a whole octave within the span of my left hand that I tend to twiddle about with the high notes.

Happy playing!
on 19 March 2017
The colour coding on each string helps, but I still had to use Google to help me work out which string goes in each position! The strings are longer than the cheap strings already on the Ukulele that I was replacing so I cut these to match. Big mistake! The strings would have been OK at that final length if trimmed once on, but cutting them first didn't provide me enough length to tie at one end and thread through at the other. Result - I've ordered myself another pack of strings!
on 27 January 2017
I bought a ukulele and the strings that came with it were terrible, two of them snapped within a day. These strings have now been on the ukulele for a couple of months, and are wearing really well. Definitely recommend.
on 22 April 2017
Great quality strings, I don't have much to base it off as I purchased them for my first Ukulele, but the over all feel is MUCH better than the feel of the original strings that came with it.
I found the installation quite hard as I have quite large hands, so tieing a small knot on a tiny soprano bridge was quite difficult and it's good to know that the strings can deal with a little bit of initial wear and remain fully functional.
on 9 August 2012
These strings have transformed the sound of my Tanglewood TU1 soprano Ukulele from the stock strings that were pre-fitted. I have not been playing the Ukulele for long, but I had heard great things about these strings. So I decided to replace the pre-fitted ones and see for myself. The difference is noticeable even to my untrained ears. The warmth of tone and resonance has improved greatly and the volume has also increased. The strings, whilst still nice and soft have an improved firmness under the fingertips. I have found this has helped improve my finger placement as they feel more defined than the pre-fitted strings.

All-round, I love these strings and will continue to fit these until I've turned the Ukulele to dust.
on 1 October 2017
My daughter loves the Ukulele with the new strings, it sounds so professional now. In fact, she is now a Uke you-tuber and is growing her audience with the help of this great strings, added to a natural talent ; )
on 31 March 2017
I bought these strings for my first cheap ukulele because the nylon ones it came with were really hurting my fingers. With these I can play for much longer and the sound it excellent. Colour coded so they are really easy to fit and they settle quickly.
on 2 April 2017
Great strings. Hold their tune well once broken-in. Nice warm sound and the standard for many major UKE OEMs
on 23 June 2014
The strings were delivered faster than expected, which is always a good thing. Putting them up on the uke was no issue, with a bit of help from the internet. They made a huge difference to the sound and turned a cheap, 15-quid Sue Ryder ukulele into a decent-sounding instrument.

Once I get a better ukulele (this one was only to test the waters), I'll definitely be ordering another set of these. At that price, it's a no-brainer. Highly recommended.
on 4 April 2017
Best strings for a Uke - hands down. Good tone, easy to string and last well.