Format: DVD|Change

on 15 July 2012
I never saw this series when shown on TV although I enjoyed 'Room At The Top' and 'Life At The Top' films (with Lawrence Harvey) and, recently, 'Man At The Top' film (also 1970s) with Kenneth Haigh. Kenneth Haigh is highly believable as the ruthless and amoral man on the make who still loves his wife and family despite his various transgressions. And it's good to see pre-decimal England again, too! Very enjoyable. Do try it. I will certainly move on to Series 2 as soon as Series 1 has finished.
on 23 March 2013
Billiant tv series from the early seventies, great acting by all the cast, love watching it again 2nd time around, its a big shame that the 2nd series is so expensive at the moment
on 23 January 2010
Wonderful. Given that tv dramas from this era now seem incredibly dated I think that this one holds up pretty well. Can't wait for series two when, if I remember rightly, Joe reappears wearing a dodgy 70's moustache.
55 comments| 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 March 2013
A gem for those who recall watching this, probably in black and white (although it is in colour). The tape has cleaned up well, although there is quite a contrast in texture between outdoor and studio scenes. The slightly grainy "Thames Televsion" intro adds to the nostalgia. The acting and plots are very good, but the pace in which they are delivered would not stand up today. Nonetheless, if you enjoyed it when it was originally screened, or like me, missed a few episodes (we used to go out to the pub regularly in those days), it's worth buying.
on 25 October 2012
I bought this dvd as I vaguely remember watching 'Man at the Top' years ago in the early 70s. However I cannot remember anything about these episodes, so I reckon I may be mistaking it for the series two made in 73 where he drives a Jenson Interceptor. I am a car fan and I enjoy these old 50s, 60s, 70s dramas for the fanatstic old cars, the lack of traffic on the roads and the general way we seemed to live back then, life seemed so much slower. Man at the top Joe Lampton lives in London in a large family house he just paid £18k for, he drives an Aston Martin he bought for £6k and would be considered a high flying, bird pulling, outright success in the corporate world.

The stories are good, but the sets are so fake and the scenes shot without good direction. Kenneth Haigh and the late Zena Walker were both great actors in the class of that 'angry young men' period and it's abundance of great actors, Alan Bates, Judi Dench, Finney, the Redgrave sisters, Tom Courtnay and the list goes on and on. Both Haigh and walker pop up in loads of 60s and 70s films and were prolific in the theatre. A great bunch of supporting actors are also great, the lovely Ann Lynn as sexy as ever, Basil Henson, Michael Bates, Hugh Paddick etc, but it seems this first series was done on a shoe string budget. I am going to buy the next series and enjoy the watching the whole saga. I have enjoyed it so far, but I don't think it I could recomend it to anyone under 50.

An interesting point watching this, if Joe had stuck the car in the garage and we move forward 40 years, we are looking at a £2.5 million house and a classic car worth at least £100k. If only us oldies had known.
on 16 January 2014
I remember the films with Lawrence Harvey and I have to say this is very different. I'm not entirely convinced Kenneth Haigh is charismatic enough to win so much female admiration or good looking enough. But I have only watched a few so far. The stories are interesting and definitely reflect old fashioned attitudes. However you sit there thinking at times; 'Get on with it. And I really don't care if your ale tastes better up north!' I'll watch the rest and report back, may be even add another star!
on 20 October 2014
Was really looking forward to watching this again after all these years but it never arrived (even though the carrier supposedly handed it to me direct) Had ordered series 1 & 2 but eventually got a refund and never bothered re-ordering.
on 31 July 2016
Took me back to my youth!!! Really enjoyed reminiscing.