Format: DVD|Change

on 30 November 2009
Made in the early 90s, this was an enjoyable sitcom that managed to provide its fair share of laughs, but which was elevated into something memorable by an excellent cast with Joe McGann and Diana Weston as the appealing leads, and a classy Honor Blackman as Diana's intrusive mother. The premise is that Diana's character is a busy woman who hires a housekeeper to look after her children, but, shock horror, the best person for the job turns out to be a man.

At first the series gets laughs out of the gender reversal situation that was fairly radical in the early 90s, but rapidly it develops into a question of how long it'll take the leads to realize the obvious and get together. The show lasted for seven seasons and in truth, at times, it could be formulaic and repetitive as unlike most British sitcoms that usually provide around six episodes a season, this show churned out 13 or even more a year. Luckily the show managed to re-invent itself several times by allowing the arc storyline of the leads' romance to develop, so there's always much to enjoy.
on 10 March 2010
I half heartedly watched The Upper Hand when it was first on TV in the 90's but wouldn't have called myself a fan, even so, I decided to order this box set partly for nostalgia and partly because there doesn't seem to be very many good comedies produced at the moment.

I must say, I enjoyed seeing it again far more than I expected to. Honor Blackman is especially good as Caroline Wheatley's mother and the kids are bearable to watch, even though I'm not keen on children in sitcoms. It was nice to see the kids grow up as the series developed and of course the relationship between Charlie and Caroline blossoming from employer/employee to husband and wife at the end of the series six.

I am greatly looking forward to series two which is due for release on the 10th May and series three which should follow later in the year. I understand that all seven series will be released and I will certainly be adding them all to my collection.

The cover of the dvd features a very strange looking Diana Weston, (Caroline Wheatley) bearing hardly any resemblance to the actress as she appears in the show. She almost looks like a bad waxwork model. I wouldn't be surprised if Ms Weston cringed when she saw the cover picture, assuming she has seen it of course.

All in all, The Upper Hand is a warm hearted family sitcom that covers some important issues in a sensitive and humorous way. I can't wait to see more.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 13 December 2012
Back in 1984 a role reversal comedy, Who's The Boss? went to air in the USA starring Tony Danza, Judith Light and Katherine Helmond and ran for nearly 200 episodes over eight years.
In 1990, Central Television made 13 episodes of The Upper Hand using scripts from the US version. The layout of the hosue is exactly the same as in the US version and the characters could not be any more similar either. With a first class cast in The Upper Hand including Joe McGann, Honor Blackman and Diana Weston, ther programme would run for a further six series. The comedy in this set is fantastic and it's just a shame that this sort of thing isn't amde anymore.
Well worth a watch!
on 25 January 2012
I found this serie by coincidence as I was searching for a film starring Honor Blackman (I'm a big fan of the Avengers). As a child I watched sometimes the american version, but until recently I didn't know about the british one. I love the wit of the show, also the characters are very likeable. Although the relationship of Charly and Caroline shows some similarities to the american show "The Nanny", but since I also like the Nanny this is no disadvantage. Honor Blackman is great as the witty, man-eating grandmother!

All in all a highly enjoyable series, I'm looking forward to series 2-7!
on 1 October 2013
Okay so maybe not today's 'cutting edge, comedy but with a great cast this series has stood the test of time and still delivers a lot of laughs. Great family viewing. Highly recommended1
on 22 October 2012
Thank God for the good old days when TV series were full of fun and laughter! This series are the best and we have just bought series two of the same programme from Amazon.
on 18 February 2013
It's an undemanding and pleasant way to spend 25 minutes. The chemistry between the two leads, rather than the script, is what makes it worth watching.
on 11 January 2014
Great family fun, very funny and entertaining. Most people would enjoy watching it. Can not wait to get the next series.
on 14 July 2013
Excellent DVD which I purchased for myself and I love it, one the best DVD'S I have seen in a long time.
on 23 April 2015
Absolutely love this TV series. Could watch it over and over! Really glad I got them on DVD!