David Bowie
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 17 June 2018
Firstly, this is just a matter of personal taste. As the owner of everything David Bowie has released in various formats, obviously, I felt the "completist" need to own this amalgamation of David Bowie's first album and several other previously released and unreleased songs from his "pre-fame", pre "Space Oddity" era., mainly 1966-1969.

Firstly, I have to say that the sound is absolutely FANTASTIC. excellent remastering throughout. Clear, sharp and certainly bassy enough to keep a bass addict like me happy.

Secondly. The songs. Therein lies the problem. I simply cannot get into these odd, slightly childish, whimsical "lovable Cockney" ditties. I just find them silly and irritating. "Love You Till Tuesday" is passable, I suppose, but not much else. The "ironic" hit "The Laughing Gnome" is included of course, and I have to admit to a weakness for the singles's "B" Side, "The Gospel According To Tony Day". "Let Me Sleep Beside You" and "In The Heat Of The Morning” and the trippy “Karma Man” are acceptable and give a slight hint as to the glories that lay ahead, but not too much.

Listening to this material, it is almost incomprehensible to wonder upon just how David Bowie became, well, David Bowie.
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 24 December 2014
Many people are quick to skip over Bowie's earlier pre-fame output, but he was producing some wonderful material in the vein of Tony Newley.

The hugely expanded version of his debut album on Deram is a feast for fans, including rarities, oddities and of course, 'the Laughing Gnome'!

I love this era, it's innocent and whimsical lyrics. Who can resist such gems as 'When I Live My Dream' or 'Let Me Sleep Beside You'?

This is a truly delightful album.

If you are looking at the ordinary version, I urge you to go for the Deluxe edition which is vastly expanded.
4 people found this helpful
on 31 January 2016
This is pop-orchestrated album strictly managed from Decca studios and very trendy for this time.Only 'She's got Medals'reminds me on'7+7 is'from Love.It's more than obvious.Second disc is much better.Every track is almost little masterpiece.You can hear occasionally echoes of his forthcoming years.
An important edition from Star.R.I.P.
on 18 October 2016
Apart from the singles, this is the earliest Bowie you can get. Even before Space Oddity. And before Bowie wanted to be rockstar. He really had no idea which style he would play. Sounds more like theatre or children's songs, although there are already some cynical lyrics and themes on several songs we also find on later albums. This deluxe version has songs in stereo and original mono versions and songs that originally were not used on the original album David Bowie.
on 14 April 2017
Although obviously not classic Bowie I really love this album. It's Not anything like his 70's albums but then it's not much like anything else either. Most of us have probably only ever heard this because we like later Bowie albums. I personally recomend it.
on 25 May 2018
For the fans of the early work of bowie this is a must-have in the collection!
on 8 December 2017
I had this on vinyl in the 1980s and it's just as good now.
on 10 May 2017
Had to purchase this one . Has Mr Bowies early songs which are not often heard but are very good .
on 21 January 2012
if your a Bowie fan then youll like this,i bought it to replace one of my Bowie lps with the various songs on it,as i hadnt listened to most of my Bowie stuff for quite a while it took me back to my younger days when i was a huge Bowie fan so as i say if you are or were a Bowie fan you will enjoy this cd
on 15 January 2018
Good
|0Comment|Report abuse