Shop now Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 4 February 2010
What do we have here? Previously unreissued on CD mono versions of the original 1967 debut David Bowie LP, 5 previously unreissued 1967 cuts from John Peel's "Top Gear" AND the original long lost first take of "London Bye Ta Ta". Wow! My only gripe is when in our lifetime will we get to hear "Bunny Thing", "Funny Smile" and "Pussy Cat", all 1967 out takes that were slated for the "Deram Anthology '66-'68" but omitted at the request of The Thin White Duke's "people".
on 4 February 2016
This is the first time that I've updated my old Images double album with a CD version, but this is definitely the definitive version to buy.
The remastering is superb and the presentation and booklet is great too, with lots of information about these years and the recording of the material. If I had a gripe, and it's minor, I'd have liked the cartoons that illustrated the Images gatefold reproduced in the booklet.
This material may divide some people, but if you're not fixated on genre and style (which is frankly ridiculous with someone like Bowie), there's a lot to recommend this album, not least the fact that there's a lot of good songs on here.
I know that my tastes have broadened considerably since buying Images, but the sleeve note give much more context, and you can't help but be impressed at the work the teen aged Bowie (and friends) managed here. Although it could be said that there was a certain contrivance to the writing of these songs, it gave him the confidence to go own and fully find his own 'voice', sonically transforming his work in a matter of a few short years.
If you're not familiar with this period, listen to the samples, but buy this deluxe version if tempted, it's worth it.
on 18 March 2016
This CDb features a great selection of Bowie faves and is the most adventurous and far reaching of the BOWIE favourite tunes collection cds, far more varied an reaching than the tepid 'Bowie Heard Them Here First' title
on 18 January 2010
Okay so some to the songs are a bit cheesy but as several of the other reviewers here have pointed out they are also rather strange and dark in places. If you want to hear the beginnings of one of the true geniuses of western pop music in the latter third of the 20th century you must check this out. I know that you should all have all Bowie's albums. John Peel was once asked which Captain Beefheart album should everyone listen to and he answered "All of them, everyday!". I know he didn't mean it literally, he was too keen on checking out new things but i know what he meant and I feel the same about Bowie. He was just so much of a central figure in pushing the boundaries of pop music.

When Supergrass were on the Jonathan Ross Show they name checked In The Heat of the Morning from this album. Ross had not heard of it, and claims to be a Bowie fan. That is one of the songs that stands out here. This is, however, an artist in the forming not the completed article hence the dropped star
on 29 January 2010
If you are a collector of all the man's works like me, you may well have stalled at this one.

You'll already have all the tracks, even the 'rare' When I'm Five and Ching-A-Ling (full length version) from the Love You Til Tuesday album - now out of print.

And yet, I purchased this on the strength of the previous reviews.

The remastering of these jolly and tragic songs makes a revisiting of this old obscurity well worth one more listen.
I've not quite grasped the point of the value of owning both stereo and mono versions of the same tracks.
But I imagine the hi-fi buffs will beg to differ. This, for me, could have been a one-disc affair. But I'll not whinge as the price is more than reasonable.

And if you're anything like me you'll be glad you checked this out. Mr Jones has always been lovable, yet I doubt more than in the studio in 1967. It's not classic Bowie, yet it is a piece of his history beautifully cleaned up and lovingly repackaged for all us die-hards.
on 1 September 2014
For me there is one stand out track here - In the Heat of the Morning- and the rest is a nod to what Bowie would become without any particular flashes of genius. More for the Bowie collector than anyone looking for an introduction to one of the few people to whom I think the word genius could fairly be ascribed. And there are three versions of In the Heat of the Morning for the devoted anorak!
on 28 December 2009
Well it is hardly his best album is it? but hey it's not THAT bad and a few songs are actually quite good( love you till tuesday, when i live my dream and silly boy blue for example)this box set is great,there's remixes ,and the full version of 'ching-a-ling' which was only previously available on the now deleted 'love you till tuesday' album. The main bonus is the inclusion of some tracks from bbc radio in 67!!! which i have not seen or heard. i would recommend this to everyone!!!
1313 comments| 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 February 2016
This is a brilliant cd not JUST because I'm a HUGE BOWIE FAN & have been for the best part of 4 DECADES - but because now its available in CD format I could COPY it onto my PC & then transfer it to my mp3/mobile. A word of CAUTION though - if you DO PLAN on buying the cd to copy you MIGHT get very frustrated as I did. If you LOOK CAREFULLY at the BOTTOM of the page where it provides you with the TRACK LISTINGS - you will see tracks 1-9 with 'MEMORY OF A FREE FESTIVAL' as TRACK 9, HOWEVER when the CD arrived - on the FIRST PAGE of the INNER SLEEVE it lists UNWASHED & SOMEWHAT SLIGHTLY DAZED (INCLUDING 'DONT SIT DOWN' instrumental) & 'MEMORY OF' as track 9. ON the CD ITSELF (where it's got a black label) it DOES NOT INCLUDE 'DONT SIT DOWN' in the track listings. I copied the cd onto my pc & it copied tracks 1-9 (don't sit down - was displayed) - in WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER. It listed TRACK 1 (SPACE ODDITY, 'DON'T SIT' AFTER 'UNWASHED' - GOD KNOWS IM GOOD - 9 TRACKS) - which made me WONDER WHY & I GOT very frustrated & tried DELETING/RE-COPYING it & it showed up the same again. HOWEVER if you PLAY 'GOD KNOWS IM GOOD' - it IS IN FACT MEMORY OF A FREE FESTIVAL!!!!! IM NOT SAYING this will occur to EVERYONE who buys the CD & decides to COPY it - but just to be AWARE of it if it happens to YOU!!!!!!! I WOULD GIVE THIS 4+HALF STARS IF IT WAS POSSIBLE - UNFORTUNATELY NOT :-(
on 12 February 2016
Never been a Bowie fan, although watched him in concert on Glass Spider tour in 80s. Friend of mine suggested I got some albums after his recent death, so decided to start at the beginning. Got these two and have since got albums 3 & 4 and brilliant. What a fantastic talent he was. Totally out there and shook the world up to humour and quality with his music. Will go right through the lot slowly. Which will be by enjoying each one time and again on the journey. Do the same if you were never a fan. You won't be disappointed if you like quality music. Plenty of riffs and melodies have been ripped off Bowie or influenced others (to be PC) also you'll find, if you know you're music from other bands. Genius, pure genius entertainer from just getting into his early music properly.
on 9 March 2013
I have been a Bowie fan since 1972 but dipped into and out of his career as my interest in the various styles of music he has explored fluctuated over the years. When news broke of the forthcoming album The Next Day (already out in parts of the world as I type), I took note of what Bowie albums I hadn't got (basically 5 main studio albums plus a lot of live albums, everything by Tin Machine, his soundtracks and the few essential compilations of archive material). Bowie's 1967 debut album was among the five studio albums I didn't own and therefore decided it was time to find out the truth about 'David Bowie'.

I had read a lot about this album (in particular the Roy Carr/Charles Shaar Murray Illustrated Record and Paul Trynka biography Starman, both of which are excellent accounts of Bowie's career, although why the Carr/Murray book never made it to a second, third or fourth editions is baffling to me) and of course it's an album that most music critics would rank as nothing more than a historical curio. But curiosity finally got the better of me as I decided to make 2013 my Bowie catch up year.

I must say I had expected this album to be dire based on the accounts I had read - I previously only knew the non-album single `The Laughing Gnome' (included on this Deluxe Edition in two mixes - mono and previously unreleased stereo) and had sort of assumed that might just turn out to be the highlight of a thoroughly horrible record. But in fact, I was surprised by a reasonable number of tracks included here that would shamelessly represent this short period of Bowie's career.

Its breadth of styles and sentiments is astounding and even if the music itself isn't that arresting or memorable, I have to acknowledge that Bowie - even at this early stage of his career - was capable of producing work like no other artist was doing at that point in time. But ultimately the song arrangements and general production are fairly twee and don't compare favourably with what passed for great music in 1967 and therefore I can only really give it 2 stars, awarded on the following basis:

It's an interesting listen given who the artist but it's not an album that I will be revisiting in full that often. The packaging of the Deluxe Edition is well done and must please Bowie completists the world over I would suggest. The listener gets two versions of the debut album (Stereo and the long deleted Mono mix) plus a disc full of contemporaneous bonus material most of which is either unreleased or much improved one imagines on earlier pressings, that is, I'm sure, of great interest to those fans who must have everything Bowie has recorded/released.

Of the 24 different songs presented in several versions (the album has an impressive 53 tracks across its two discs) the best moments for me are - believe it or not 'The Laughing Gnome' (it has such a distinctively odd place in the Bowie canon that you have to appreciate it even if its just for the novelty value); `When I Live My Dream' (easy listening and over sentimental in style perhaps but Bowie's vocal control is impressive); `Silly Boy Blue' (strong melodically and a nod in the direction of future Bowie compositions, albeit ones better executed once he got into his stride); `Come and Buy My Toys' (which benefits greatly from its acoustic backing track); `Let Me Sleep Beside You' (the collection's high point and a song Bowie would return to for a 1969 BBC session - see Bowie at the Beeb release from 2000); `Karma Man', the original version of `London Bye Ta-ta' (re-recorded in early 1970), and `In the Heat of the Morning' (all of which hail from post-album sessions in 1968 which indicate a rapid improvement in his song-writing and a more sympathetic production setting. If you are not a Bowie obsessive but want to hear a selection of his finer moments from this often mocked period of his career, then my advice would be to download at least one version each of the eight tracks listed above and you get a good idea of where Bowie's head was in the run up to recording his first classic song, Space Oddity, that, for a moment in the middle of 1969 at least, suggested the arrival of an important new songwriter. Of course it was a false dawn and it would take another three years for Bowie to convince the mass market of his quality and define seventies pop music in the way that The Beatles had defined the sixties.