Customer reviews

on 18 August 2015
I purchased this bottle after reading that it was a great whisky. You should never buy a food or beverage based on what others think. I recommend that you taste it beforehand. I was fooled by many reviews that said it is better than so and so whisky that is in the same category of taste and actually cheaper. Not so to me. unlike some of these other colorful whiskers, I found this one had a forced taste. I will not buy it again.
on 2 December 2016
Purchased as a Christmas gift for my partner so I cannot comment further but as he loves whisky I am sure he will be delighted with it. I purchased this following very favourable reviews.
on 4 January 2017
If you like your whisky very smokey, then this is for you!

If you don't like very smokey whisky, then you might hate it!

It's as simple as that.

A complexity of flavors is hidden behind the huge blast of smoke you get in the nose and initial taste; sweetness, dried fruit, seaweed, iodine, pear drops. More smoke and peat in the finish. Patience is needed to peel back the layers and appreciate what's there. As long as you like a huge initial blast of smoke, and a smokey taste in your mouth for the rest of the hour!
on 10 July 2015
I strongly recommend Lagavulin to anyone with discerning taste; like what I got! A glass at breakfast makes those dull old cornflakes really come to life and if the weather is cold this amber necter will put a glow in your tummy which will shine through the gloom. Driving to work is much livelier with a dram under the bonnet and the working day is much more interesting; just remember to top up during the day, just to keep you up to speed. A bottle should last you a week especially if you are prudent, keep the Grouse for visitors and children; they can't tell the difference. My hair is thicker and eyes are brighter since I started on the necter at the ripe old age of fourteen, and fully expect to see twenty one before I go to heaven; if indeed I'm not already there. So; do yourself a favour and buy a bottle today; you'll never look back.
22 Comments| 49 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 October 2014
I'm not a whisky expert but this is the best I have had to date and the price is usually very good compared to specialist shops.
To date, everyone I know that likes a whisky loves this (male and female).
Would recommend 10ml of a good still water to help release the flavour and aroma.
on 1 January 2016
Definitely worth buying, tasted great, was my New Years Eve drink and I loved every drop.
Scotch obviously isn't for everybody and as Nick Offerman said, this whiskey "Will fuel your backhoe".
It is very strong but it is one of the best scotch whiskeys I have ever had.
on 17 August 2012
When people say a drop of the good stuff, this is what they are talking about. The aromatic smell of dark oak and berries with only a hint smoke so not to mask it's complexity.
When drinking the 1st sip is of bitter lemons with a hint of fudge. However let it slide down and think of that as the head!

The 2nd and subsequent sips are altogether different. The fudge and dark mellow flavours come through in abundance with no hint of the the bitterness of the 1st sip. And so it will go on like this till your session has ended. Each sip seems to increase the complexity. Once finished after a few minutes I was left with a clean almost green grass taste at the back of my palette fading to and almost vague and tantalising notes of sea air.

As this was from my wife for our anniversary I can only comment on the hard work she put into to finding me what is now in my top 3 which varies depending on my mood.

Whisky tasting in general is not to be rushed and in my humblest of opinions never judge a whisky by the 1st sip alone. Even after 20+ years of drinking it I like to think of it like getting into a hot bath. You know your going the go through the ouch stage but once immersed you just don't want to get out!

This one is definitely worth soaking in!!
11 Comment| 47 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 January 2017
For years I had a stomach ulcer and was warned off whiskey, cognac and red wine by my specialist. I compensated by exploring white spirits and white wine - all very satisfactory but my real drink was whisky. After years on the whisky wagon, in a hotel bar in Aberdeen, I got the aroma of Lagavulin and tried it. The taste of its smooth peatiness was overwhelming after so many years 'on the wagon' and it rested well in my stomach causing no irritation. It worked for me - I'm back drinking whisky in moderation and very selectively (only peaty single malts). Lagavulin is my drink of choice - it is delicious and suits my condition!
on 9 January 2016
In my view this is the finest malt in the whole of Scotland, and I've tried just about all of them. Only problem is the price. Lagavulin is worth it, but the ticket price is higher than many rivals. Enter the Lightning Deal. Perfect.
on 22 January 2014
Tasted smoky with light molasses - very easy on the palette. I took a chance and bought this on spec for my wife who enjoys 15/18 year Laphroaig - obviously it not the same but she loved it. I saved some money!