on 11 January 2012
For the cheap price you get 50 original songs from the 40's and 50's. Most of them are familiar classics, but there are a few I dont like such as a couple of Seeger Sisters songs and Ernest Tubbs country and western version of 'Blue Christmas' They should have used Elvis Presleys version instead of his 'I Believe' which is not really a christmas song but there are two more Elvis songs included.

Also on the 2 cd album is Bing Crosby singin 'White Christmas' (and 3 other good songs). Judy Garlands' 'Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas' and Nat King Coles' hit 'The Christmas Song'

Other star names singing christmassy songs and carols are Dean Martin, Beverley Sisters, Doris Day, Petula Clark, Frank Sinatra and Eartha Kitt and many more.

Other classic songs and carols include 'Silent Night' 'The Twelve Days Of Christmas' 'We Wish You A Merry Christmas' 'Silver Bells' 'The Little Drummer Boy'
and the only instrumental in this collection 'Sleigh Ride' (by Leroy Anderson & His Orchestra)

I have given full 5 stars even though there are a few I dont like but I just skip those and get into the festive mood listening to the rest which most of them are brilliant seasonal or spiritual classics.
on 7 January 2012
Well these are all old songs and when you've deleted the tasteless rubbish by Elvis the album is worth four stars but I had to give it five because it's Christmas. We all know what these Christmas compilations are like... several we don't know and don't want to and a good number that we like or love. So that's it. One of the songs I'd never heard before was by Eddie Fisher "That's What Christmas Means to Me." That's a really nice old fashioned song with good sentiment and tune. You don't need to be cool at Christmas... all the old songs are the best. So there's lots of good sentiment, a sprinkling of cheese, a laugh or two and a good few tracks you'll love and remember. What more could we ask for... Santa... Santa... are you there?
on 6 June 2011
I have a few cds of Christmas songs, this is a nice one. Good to listen to during a meal, while you're cooking, or at the end of the evening as it has a mellow feel to it. Good mix of carols, old favourites and ones I hadn't heard before, but I enjoyed once I did. A good counterbalance to my more party-friendly, rowdy Christmas compilations or more ecclesiastical offerings and it complements the similarly mellow, wonderful Rat Pack Christmas delightfully.
4 people found this helpful
on 19 April 2013
Bought this to treat myself and have some 'real' Christmas songs in the house. It's a hit! Even the kids love it - it's full of songs (by the original artists) that we know and love, and can sing along to, and they're all on one CD too which is a bonus. Seems a shame to just listen to the songs once a year, so we have a rule that if it snows we can play it! That meant that this year it was still being played in April! We would highly recommend this CD.
on 29 November 2010
I bought this album based primarily on the low price and the classic famous names. Having listened to it now, I can't believe what a bargain it is! The sound quality is, as the previous reviewer says, excellent. There's a lot of amazing artists on here and, from a musical point of view, plenty of gems. I'd never heard of "Mele Kalikimaka" before, but it's a new favourite! A pleasant change from the usual Christmas fodder - I'm extremely happy with my (impulse!) purchase!
17 people found this helpful
on 18 February 2011
THIS CD IS JUST SUCH GOOD VALUE FOR MONEY.
EVERY SONG IS JUST SO FAB.
THERE IS NOT A SONG I DO NOT LIKE .
SOME JOG THE CHILD HOOD MEMORIES WHICH, AT MY AGE
IS A WELCOME THING,AS I FEEL THE SPIRIT AND EXCITEMENT OF CHRISTMAS IS LOST WHEN WE ARE ADULTS.THIS CD HELPS PUT THE SPIRIT BACK IN.
GO ON GET ONE I PROMISE YOU WILL BE GLAD YOU DID WHEN YOU EXPERIENCE
YOUR LITTLE WALK DOWN MEMORY LANE.
3 people found this helpful
on 2 November 2011
Ok, some of the songs play out at a lower level than others, but it's got that christmassy feel all over. Some songs I knew and some I didn't - even found a few new favourites. I have various christmas albums, cheesy pop to classical, but this is the one that will got on top of the pile. And I can't believe I finally have a copy of Mele Kalikimaka (Merry Christmas), anyone who can't have a christmas without National Lampoons will know this song from that film.

and who can live without Bing crosby at christmas!
3 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 31 January 2012
I purchased this music just before xmas for a little xmas cheer at work. It doesn't disappoint. If you are looking for Cliff Richard etc you may be disapointed as this is more of a traditional collection of xmas music. Theres more 50s and 60s to it. All in all a nice collection but not a party cd by any stretch of the imagination.
2 people found this helpful
on 22 December 2012
Bought this for mum. It has 50 Christmas tunes on it and a lot of them are rarely, if ever, played on the radio or found on other Christmas cds. Some of the singers I recognise like Bing Crosby, Johnny Mathis, Eartha Kitt, Connie Frances, etc. Some are by singers I am not familiar with but they are all good. Lovely cd to listen to.
on 23 January 2013
Pleased with the selection of Christmas songs and with famous singers from a wide time span. Enjoyable background
music and also to sing a long too. From: Elvis, Sinatra, Belafonte, Lanza, Garland, Mathis, Doris Day, Crosby, Nat King Cole
and more. It gives a nice nostalgic feel of Christmas