VINE VOICEon 3 April 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have been hunting for a good laptop bag for quite a while now. My existing laptop bag is one of the "traditional" designs that has a handle or a shoulder strap. These have served well as modestly functional bags but the weight of the laptop and associated kit I was carrying around within had started to give me backache! I therefore decide to ditch the traditional bag and look for something more stylish. It was no surprise, then, that this caught my eye. The obvious first advantage is that it is a rucksack. This has two plus points - the first being that it spreads the load evenly across my back which means less backache. The second is that it doesn't look like a laptop bag to your average villain and so security is enhanced.

The manufacturing quality is excellent - the padded straps and back padding make this one of the most comfortable rucksacks I've used. There are plenty of pockets to store associated peripherals and accessories. The main compartment has adequate space for the laptop and other items such as files and papers. Ingeniously the base of the rucksack folds out so that you are able to put the rucksack on the floor and it remains upright - protecting your laptop in the process.

Overall I like this and think it's excellent value for money.
on 6 September 2017
Love it. the colour scheme is good, the compartments are spacious. The bag actually sits upright unlike other bags that I have had in the past. The only downside that prevented me from giving it 5 stars is the stitching in the middle of the shoulder straps is weak and comes off. Not very strong. Considering the quality of rest of the bag is ace, wonder why the manufacturers overlooked this essential part which takes much of the strain.
VINE VOICEon 12 November 2010
This is the one to go for. My last laptop backpack was good, but after 3 1/2 years was looking worn and tired. And to tell the truth, it was too fat to go as cabin luggage in an aircraft unless it had hardly anything in, and didn't really protect the laptop in spite of all the padding.
So how does the Wenger Granite measure up?
Somehow, it takes even more than the last bag! But because it is wider and less deep (front to back), it meets airline cabin baggage regulations, and fits in the overhead racks on virgin trains (which the old one didn't).
The laptop compartment (within the main compartment) holds the laptop about 6cm from the bottom of the bag. This is a fantastic innovation! The extra protection it gives the latpop when you drop the bag (applies around the sides as well) or swing round and bash a wall or door frame is amazing - without losing any storage space as spare batteries, mains adapters, spare clothes etc can all sneak into the gaps.
The main compartment is obstruction-free (apart from the laptop holder) so it's easy to put papers and books in without them getting crumpled. Those elastic straps to hold the laptop were a pain.
The second compartment has loads of pockets - for pens, MP3 player, notebooks, diary, phone (if you want to put your phone in the bag), name badges, etc etc. I only use about 4 of them, but it's well designed so plenty else fits in because the pockets don't take up any room when they aren't in use. Having a single second zip to access everything is really clever.
Finally there's a third outside pocket, in which i put spare food (well, I get peckish). It isn't very big but that's how this bag manages to be so slim, and with only so much spare food, maybe I'll end up slim too.
The standy-uppy innovation works really well - i no longer need to prop my bag up on the desk leg because it sits where I put it.
The straps and airflow back are excellent - as I mentioned, I'm able to carry more than previously, and because the pockets open so wide I can see what I've got so I can pull out everything I don't need and only carry what I do need.
Just an idea, I use clear plastic document wallets for paper and notebooks, because they slide in and out easily. I also use them for newspapers to stop the ink spreading onto the inside of the bag. But you don't have to!Snopake Polyfile Ring Binder Wallet Clear A4 Ref 12566 [Pack 5]
on 14 May 2015
Had this for some time now, used daily for work and on hols, still looks new, no damage, plenty of storage. If it ever starts to show signs of damage or breaks then I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.
on 24 July 2017
As per other reviews after light use the bag has developed large tears near the zip. I expected better quality from this manufacturer. Very disappointed as there is obviously a design flaw.
review image
on 23 September 2017
very good, sturdy backpack, great for GCSE student
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 21 March 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
What a good idea! An easy and unobtrusive means of carrying a laptop. Within the main compartment is an inner padded sleeve to take a laptop so that when wearing the bag the laptop is carried against one's back. This still leaves ample room in the main compartment for other things. There is a second large compartment, and within that is a selection of smaller various size pockets to take items such as credit cards, wallet, phone, eight sections in all. A third, smaller zipped pocket, a couple of small open pockets on the sides, along with a few extra loops and toggles, complete the arrangement.

The back sits easily on the back, two large pads that rest against the back and large padded shoulder straps making it particularly comfortable to carry. It appears to be quite substantial and well made; no loose ends or exposed edges, all edges being trimmed with piping. Whether you need it to carry a laptop or not, this is a good quality bag, and for me, with both arms suffering from tennis elbow, I may well be making more use of it than just transporting the laptop. Just a final thought, it is also a less obvious way of carrying a laptop, so it has an advantage too from the security aspect.
on 10 January 2013
good quality item with sufficient space to carry what might be needed, received promptly. Just what my son in law wanted.
on 11 November 2011
I recently bought a Laptop as I'm studying for my Degree through the Open University and found I was suffering from cabin fever and needed to get out of the house and still be able to study. So I also needed a bag to carry the laptop around in, but I didn't want a standard laptop bag with a shoulder strap as this isn't very comfortable for long periods of use and also I didn't want to advertise the fact that I was carrying a laptop around with me.

This bag was an excellent choice, the quality of the material and stitching is outstanding. The lining is also very good quality, with and easy slip material to aid sliding your laptop in and out but durable enough that it won't rip or wear too heavily with prolonged use. I have a 13.1" laptop which is designed as a ultra-lightweight device, so I was worried that the laptop pouch might be too sloppy for my laptop but it was reasonable snug with an adjustable restraining strap at the top, should think that the advertised 15.6" laptop would fit in OK though as the padding material is fairly flexible. The padding and bottom reinforcement for the bag is also of good quality and quite thick so should absorb most impacts and jolts.

There's also plenty of additional compartments and pockets on the bag for ancillaries such as power adapters and mice. I was also carrying around some sizeable text books recently and had plenty of room for them aswell as the laptop. I was also wearing the bag for the majority of the day aswell and found it incredably comfortable and I didn't feel the weight of the contents on my back at all due to the excellent strap and backpad design, there's plenty of adjustment so you can get the bag to sit just right of your back for maximum comfort.

The final thing that really sets it apart is that it doesn't look like a standard latop bag that you might get from Dell or Targus, just looks like a bag from any other outdoor equipment manufacturer like Bergaus so is quite low key. All in all a quality product which I think justifies it's price tag, even if I wasn't carrying a laptop in it I would defienately recommend this for a work bag, as there are lots of compartments and pockets to organise your gear.
VINE VOICEon 1 May 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I'm just back from testing this out on a trip to a conference and back. I have to say I was really impressed. It's a real rucksack and not a fashion item. It has a stability to it that gives you confidence in putting your laptop in it.

Pros
- Loads of room, yet small enough to carry as hand luggage and avoid those pesky bag charges on cheap flights! I managed to carry enough stuff for a 4 day conference all in the one bag.
- Very comfortable to carry - you notice the well padded straps the moment you lift it. It spreads the weight evenly - would be great if you had to cycle to work as well.
- Durable and well constructed, good seams and zips
- a couple of great carry handles on top
- Loads of compartments for laptop stuff, (or toiletries/pens etc)

Cons
- there arent really any, although I might have liked a different colour!

It's just very good.