Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.99

on 14 March 2003
Danny the Champion of the World was adapted into a children's book from one of Roald Dahl adult short stories. This book is perfect for slightly older children (aged 8 to 12). I first read it when I was nine and it was so exciting at the time I had to read some of it standing up because I could not sit still and read it at the same time. I still remembered the sheer excitement and tension when Danny was in the car. This is a gripping book for children to read.
It is also hugely touching as we see Danny's relationship to his Father develop. The sparky, enthusiastic and loving Father is an absolute joy to read about. Roald Dahl never had a Father himself (he died when he was young) and the figure in this book is obviously his ideal figure. I reread this book recently and I went for a walk though the autumn countryside afterwards because of it. It made me remember some important things that matter about life that I'd previously forgotten when I was lost under adult work and bills to pay. It left me profoundly affected.
The message at the end about what a Father should be should be a message to us all.
This is the most sensitive and well written of all Roald Dahl's children's books. It is also hugely funny. I feel so lucky to have been able to read Roald Dahl as a child. All children will love this book.
on 3 December 2008
Danny the Champion of the world is a wonderful story about a boy and his father who become champions at poaching pheasants. Its such an amazing Roald Dahl book, its my favourite and its my dad's too. I couldnt put it down after I started reading it. I am giving it 5 stars as Roald Dahl uses such powerful verbs, adverbs and adjectives, so that you get everything planned in your head and it feels like your in the story. I would recommend to any boys and girls aged 7-12. By Ruby Davis aged 9.
on 25 August 2015
When I was at school, I remember my boyfriend telling me that this had been is all-time favourite book when he was a kid. Far more recently (obviously!) I read it to my daughter and having done so I totally get where he was coming from. Danny the Champion of the World really is Dahl at his best. It is unique among his literature in that it is one of the very few of his books where the main adult character is not nasty but nice ... incredibly nice. It is a heart-warming story centered on a fantastic father-son relationship in which Dahl has literally crafted the character of the best dad in the world to perfection.
on 12 March 2015
This book is about how Danny becomes the champion of poaching pheasants through a quite ingenious idea he has. I won't say what it is you can read the book to find out. It's also about a young boys relationship with his warm loving father with the twinkly eyes and the strong bond of love between them. The lovely friends surrounding them like Doctor Spencer and Seargant Samway also deserve a mention. No Roald Dahl book is ever complete without there being one bad character which in this case is Victor Hazell. I am really looking forward to reading Roald Dahl's 'Going Solo' and 'Boy' which I believe is rather autobiographical to see where he got these wonderful ideas from !
on 13 December 2015
Easily my favourite and the best of Roald Dahl's work! Highly recomended! None of the magical or fantasy elements of most of his books, but it makes up for that with loads of charm, wit and charisma! A simple story of a boy and his father against the world!
on 2 January 2016
This was a Christmas gift for my grandson who is 7 yrs old. He put it on his bookshelf and hasn't really looked at it but I suspect it is intended for a slightly older age grp. My own son had a copy many years ago and loved it.
on 15 August 2013
I am always amazed how exciting this book is. I have read it many times over the years, first to my own children and then to my grandchildren and every time the adventure is just as exciting. Brilliant read...
on 30 June 2012
I loved this book as a child and bought this to read to my children. The problem with the Kindle version however is that not all the pages run in the correct order, which makes for a very confusing read.
on 22 January 2015
I read this book for a quiz I'm doing at my school with my friends and was disappointed that I got this one because it was the weirdest sounding of all the choices but I am taking my words back because this book was fun, interesting, and slightly tense through some bits. An A-MA-ZING read!!!
on 23 September 2014
My 7 year old son loves me (Dad) reading this to him at bedtime. Today he wanted me to read the rest of it instead of his allocated "screen-time." He also loved The Twits, and George's Marvelous Medicine, but this is his favorite. I have also read him Harry Potter, and since that, his school reading levels have rocketed up. Keep reading your child something above their level, as well as getting them to read their school books to you, almost guarantees success in Literacy at school. I'm sure in a year or two he could read the books himself. By the way, I am not an avid pleasure-reader, myself, but I understand how important it is for him.