Customer reviews

A Million Little Pieces
Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£7.49

on 24 August 2017
Great book I couldn't put it down
on 2 July 2016
One of the best book s I've read.
on 9 March 2015
I loved this book. Couldn't put it down.
on 6 February 2016
Shocking, well written (I normally don't like American writing) and excoriating account of an ascent from the hell of drug and alcohol dependency of a young man. It wasn't easy or comfortable to read, but it was compulsive and wholly believable. It was also pretty much life-changing in that it has moderated my rather set and self-satisfied views about addiction of any kind. James Frey spares no detail, and I was surprised to discover his almost total lack of self-pity. I have no idea where he finds his strength, and I cannot express how much I admire his stance of accountability: no-one but he is to blame for his situation. I'm not sure why I bought this book in the first place - it is so far removed from my normal choice of reading matter, but I'm so glad I did. I think that if people were compelled to read this at a very young age, it might prevent more than a few falling into a similar destructive cycle. The ending, to my astonishment, had me crying, and I still feel (some months later) physically and emotionally bruised by this book.
If you can bear it, please read it. It is an education.
on 3 June 2017
My Review: As usual I am a bit late to the party having never heard of this book until someone recommended it to me at a party in May 2017! When I mentioned it on my book group it appears the entire world had heard about it and read it, which obviously led me to download it immediately and read it.

I am not going to lie and say it’s a easy read or a brilliant book, it’s bloody harrowing and painful and raw. If you have any knowledge of addictions, the 12 step programme or rehab then this book doesn’t just speak to you, it shouts and screams and cries and hurts.

A Million Little Pieces was originally published in 2003 as a factual memoir and in September 2005 was picked up as an Oprah’s Book Club selection which then became the number 1 paperback non-fiction book on Amazon and topped the New York Time Best Seller List for 15 straight weeks. In 2008 after a six-week investigation it was revealed that the book contained fabrications and was not a completely factual memoir.

Whether the controversy surrounding this book is true or false, this is an eye-opening, harrowing and breathtakingly painful book to read which I believe will stay with me for years and years.
on 26 July 2017
Delivery ok price book yellow and worn as described good book
on 23 March 2017
Okay, so maybe some of it is highly fabricated, but never before has someone thrown such a giant curveball into the machine as Frey has with this breathtaking and engrossing book. Call it a novel, call it a memoir, whatever—it's utterly brilliant. It's so brilliant, the first time I tried reading it when I was fourteen, I thought it was utter trash because it broke so many rules and sounded like it was coming from the tortured brain of a crack addict (HELLOOO). Later, after I grew up some, I realized that was the exact reason this book is so brilliant. You're not reading a book—you're reading a man's soul.

Read this book.
on 17 November 2015
This is an exploration of addiction, or what can influence or impact upon degrees of addiction, threads of which surely exist in us all but can be devastatingly and darkly compelling for some.

The writing style perfectly conveys the highs and lows of what is surely an acute mind, which makes you wonder how one so potentially sharp - brilliant, even -can become so ensnared and so very lost.I found myself willing the protagonist to overcome, and concerned that the chances of that are very, very slim.

This narrative describes one man's journey to a different normality. It describes, with wit, irony, sarcasm and a good deal of humour and humanity, the friends and associates who play significant roles on that path, mostly within the confines of a rehab centre.

It might not sound like a barrel of laughs but, this story is so unusual, so well written and so cleverly put together, I simply couldn't put it down. As well as being highly entertaining it has a message for everyone, I think, to some degree (and whether we like it or not!). It's so much more than any synopsis might suggest. My advice is to read it and be surprised at where it takes you!
on 31 July 2017
I read a few pages, I knew that this writer was lying. I knew before I read about him lying elsewhere and I just couldn't complete the book also because of the style of writing, so repetitive and so boring, same thing over and over.
Who had rock, coke, heroin and alcohol, then has gasoline & glue with it? No one, has & glue are for people who can't afford the good stuff. Utter rubbish! Terrible book full of not very good fiction.
on 13 September 2014
Theres nothing unique about the writing style: i found it babyish. When he confirmed on tv that some of the book was made up, i can't remember the words he used, but that did it for me. Oprah may say he is great, but the book is crap, the story is boring, and all the way through i was thinking how on earth did he remember all of these points. Then i realised, he made it up.