Customer reviews

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£6.99

on 23 March 2008
With "Wicked Pleasures" Penny Vincenzi has delivered a serious work, beautifully written. Victoria, Lady Caterham's, dark secret is what the book is mainly about and whether you guess or just have a clue, it will not much alter the fascination, amazement and horror with the implications for everyone concerned.

Not that the book is not entertaining. On our way through the 804 pages we encounter members of both Lady and Earl Caterham's American and English families. We follow individual lives and destinies. I daresay that few aspects of the human mind and behaviour are left untouched.

Although "Wicked Pleasures" is a page-turner, it's the kind of book I had to put down in between reading it. To absorb, to take it all in. What happens, is enormous, but having encountered a similar situation in real life, I was not as surprised as I might otherwise have been.

The initial situation leads to extremes. Indeed, the book is a lot more than a mere family saga. Add suspense, although very much hidden, and the picture will be complete.

A man's tragedy, his desperate love for his inheritance and his cleverly hidden twisted personality make for this almost unbelievable story. Excellent characterization. Chilling insight into a sick mind and its literally deadly effect on the loving and trusting, make this book a unique piece of work.

Penny Vincenzi is clearly a lot more than a mere storyteller. This book does indeed show how cruel life can be, and how fragile. How easily dreams are shattered when evil gets free reign.

Thank you to Ms Vincenzi for having written this book and shed light on such a painful and secret subject.
on 20 January 2017
I could not put this down.
Despite negative reviews I bought read and really enjoyed.
It is a long read but the rollacoaster of the characters lives with you.
A must read believe me.
Enjoy
on 19 July 2017
An excellent read. I thoroughly enjoyed it. There were so many twists and turns in it that it was difficult to see which way it was going. I would love a sequel to it. I also enjoyed the way in which it was written.
on 19 May 2017
Excellent as always. Love her long books.
on 18 May 2017
Fab juicy read. Kept me turning page's. Had a good twist twist at the end . Looking forward to my next vincenzi
on 5 March 2017
Very good page turner. A bit saucy at times but very good.
on 18 July 2017
Excellent
on 22 April 2012
I usually love Penny Vincenzi. But this one really is one of her strongest novels. It starts of pretty well, but then goes off a tangent and then starts to meander all over the place. It is at least two hundred pages too long, and a particularly odious character doesn't get outed, which in turn led to a pretty unsatisfactory conclusion. Characterization is good though, if a little cliched, so I've given it an extra star for that reason.
on 20 December 2013
I really enjoy Penny Vincenzi books and have read quite a few As always this was difficult to put down It the first book of Penny' That I have felt was too long getting started and that it had too many secrets in it Then it seemed to all work out quickly and finish rather quickly tying up the ends as if there was a deadline to finish or too many pages Still a cracking good read
on 10 July 2010
Wicked Pleasures

Have just re-read this book (for about the third time!) and just have to say what a great story it is.
The Caterhams inter-marrying with a great American banking family is wonderful stuff with a very surprising secret at the heart of it - it is actually what engrossing family sagas are made of.

Ms. Vincenzi, ALWAYS, to my mind writes a great book but this one is particularly enthralling. Her great cast of characters with their totally unexpected actions and the smooth switching from rural England, London, New York etc., is handled deftly and totally believably.

Anyway, I won't say a lot more except that this is A GREAT BOOK - buy it, read it, I'm sure you'll love it.

If you want another great family saga book from her try Old Sins (see my review on this).