on 16 September 2013
Long battery life, good video quality, survives everything and everywhere)

The only bad thing - the necessity of buying additional mounts.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 25 August 2012
Drift HD - Contour Roam - Go Pro Hero2 HD - I Have owned all three of these but have been disappointed. I really can't understand how they can justify these being Hi Definition when the video quality is not crisp in any of them. I do have high expectations and when a camera costs around £200 you want it to meet your requirements. Below is a small review of each.

Go Pro Hero2 HD - 1st best video quality

Better video quality but still not perfect
Photo quality was pretty decent
60 fps for slow motion

Sound quality is pretty poor
Case steams up (this is a known issue) I used whilst snowboarding and the case did this numerous times.
No playback screen
Changing settings it difficult without keeping instructions with you.
Fish eye lens (gives a slight curve effect) a con for me.
Sometimes when knocking the device the recording stopped itself.

Drift HD - 2nd best video quality - (be sure to update to latest firmware)

Visible Screen
Rugid Build
Change settings easily
Twistable Lens
Mini Hdmi Output
Option to add external microphone.
60 fps for slow motion
Low light option for video

Video quality is a bit blurry when in motion (not ideal if you're a snowboarder)
Picture quality is awful especially in low light - very grainy
Sound is very muffled even on highest sensitivity
Fish eye lens (gives a slight curve effect) a con for me.
4 x digital zoom also degraded video quality when used.

Contour Roam - 3rd best video quality

Excellent Build Quality, best of all 3
Lens is flat and gave a more realistic POV video.
1m waterproof without cases.

Can only change setting via PC (this is a huge boo boo) So if you're out you cannot change to photo's or change video quality without a PC.
Video quality not great in low light and only average all other times.
Sound is not great

If only we could take the best of all 3 we'd have a decent Cam but I certainly feel the manufacturers have a long way to go in getting both great video and sound quality.

on 24 November 2011
I would assume that this is the type of camera you'll either hate or love! Fortunately for me I found that I loved it! I am constantly looking for more interesting ways of using the camera. I used it in early September swimming with friends, I attached it to my 3 year old daughter and it was hilarious seeing what she got up to. My son loved recording himself cycling around the local woods. I can't wait till we go on holiday!

My only criticism would be that you can't view what you are recording (unless you buy the lcd screen separate) and the quality of the photos aren't that good in low light.

Buy it and enjoy!
on 27 February 2011
I've had this for a couple of weeks now and am very impressed. On first inspection the camera itself looks like a toy; it's small, cubic, and not particularly sexy - though it's clearly well constructed. The accessories are high quality, especially the robust, waterproof (to 60m) housing and it starts to look the part once it's been fully assembled. I use it for kayaking and swimming (I mount it in various places in an 'Endless Pool'), there are various ways to mount it but I find the industrial strength suction cup to be the most versatile.

The quality of the video is outstanding, it offers various resolutions up to 1080p, I've been using it on 960p as it offers a wider angle of view on this setting then the 1080p - and the results are superb.

I chose this camera after researching the alternatives - I like the look of the Contour, but it's not waterproof (eseential for me) and the quality of video does not look to be as good as GoPro - though I think it beats it on asthetics.

All in all - a brilliant camera, great selection of quality accessories, well made and seems to be the choice of the professionals.
44 Comments| 52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 23 May 2011
It comes with many stickers for many helmets. I ve been up to 230km/h and still felt confident about it.
Its HD. However I mostly used the fish eye version because its nicer to look at and easier to edit. (You will have a hard time editing full hd videos, this has nothing to do with gopro).
Its the only really waterproof camera.

Easy to learn, takes amazing pictures. My brother stole mine so here I am, buying a second one.

Just log on to youtube and type GoPro. There is nothing else you need to know about this camera. Its perfect.

The only bad thing that comes up about this camera, is that when you look at your shadow (while racing), with the camera on top you feel like a teletubby.

Make sure to choose a compatible sd card. Class 6 and above works.
on 14 February 2012
I am just back from using one of these cameras snowboarding in Tignes and I am very impressed with the picture quality and results that it produced.

I used it with a handheld mount that cost about £20... bit expensive for a piece of plastic!

I only used the camera on the R3 setting, 720p with 60fps which produced some great slow motion in Final Cut Pro X. On that note the camera files had no problem being imported into the software.

Camera with the casing felt very solid and took a few impacts during the holiday with no damage at all.

Recording with the video was easy. I set it up with the one button record feature so when I powered it on it started recroding and similarly stopped recording and powered down with the same button.

With me loving pretty much everything about this camera the one thing that I didnt like was that on quite a few occasions after recording footage and pressing the button to stop recording the camera seemed to hang. I was using a class 10 SD card in the camera so I don't think that it was still writing as I left it for a good couple of minutes before I had to resort to removing the battery which then corrupted the file I recorded. This was rather annoying as I lost what would have been some good footage. The lesson I learned was to only record a couple of minutes at a time.

The lost footage was a bit of a pain but I really like everything else about this camera. I spotted loads of people on the slopes using these and a lot of the pros are using these as well. So highly recomended but just watch out about the crashing, maybe a firmeware update will sort this.
on 17 February 2011
I use mine for skiing. It's very stable even when using the straps that go around the helmet. The wide angle gives a professional feel to the videos and the photos come out pretty good. I've filmed slalom runs with it, and the video was awesome,( unlike my skiing). Would definitely recommend.
The only downside, and it is the only one, is that there is no view for pictures, so taking them can be a litte tricky.
Next time you watch top gear, nitro circus or any other helmet cam videos being made on TV you'll see that even the pro's use this camera
22 Comments| 33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 13 September 2011
I have had a few micro cameras before as I film with them often. I needed a good one for some underwater shots and was specifically requested by client to get hold of one of these. So I did. I have not shot underwater yet but the shots I have created while playing around with it are surprisingly good.

I have just been playing pushing it through vegitation and holding it up high carrying it around and the images are clean and bright. Will try and update this after a week in a swimming pool if my wrinkled fingers allow.
on 17 December 2011
this camera is by far the best head cam camera I have ever brought. I brought it for my son because he's going on a skiing trip and he finds it quite easy to use after I shown him. I reccomend you watch some youtube video's to get an idea of what qulity it is and how it works. I have uploaded a video I made with the time lapse mode of the sky and also one of it going down the tiolet and it's very good HD technology! my youtube name is: ArtByJack go there to see my video's use the gopro hd helmet hero btw all these differerent hero packs all include the camera and some asseseries this one come with a head strap, helmet strap and about 5 mountable sticky helmet mounts it also comes with the case which you should always use for anything near water. overall a great camera!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 21 August 2011
Simply best POV camera ever! 1080p, 60 meters water resistant, shock resistant, I've seen people throw the camera and dog fetch it, I've personally brought the camera to 44 meters underwater, 5.4 bars, images perfect, still working.