Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£6.49

on 4 January 2005
I received this gift for christmas even though i wasn't really into Travis. I put it and listened to it the whole way through and i have to say, it is a beautiful album to listen to. The music is not threatening in anyway. It's a type of album where you just want to chillout on your sofa, put this album on while reading a book. I recommend this album.
on 16 November 2004
I enjoyed the Amazon review and thought that reviewer covered it pretty well. I have to say, however, that these guys are way more even than really, really good, soft rock. Every one of the songs on this collection is excellent, or better. This is also a reminder why Travis is a must see live, as they are all-heart, and with each of these 20 or so songs to fall back on every night, there is no filler, whatsoever.
Furthermore, "Writing to Reach You," "Driftwood," "Turn," Why Does it Always Rain on Me," "Sing," and "Side" are CLASSICS--*transcendent* even (not to mention "Tied to the 90's," "More Than Us," "Pipe Dreams," "Indefinitely," "Flashing Blue Lights," and, now, "Walking in the Sun.") Their lyrics are "off the hook," as the kids say.
on 18 November 2004
I've just bought and listened to this album, and I have to say its one of the best albums I have heard in recent times.
The lyrics and music are simply wonderful to listen, and it's probably one of the few albums where I've enjoyed most if not all the songs - great stuff!!
I'd recommend it to anyone.
on 25 August 2005
One of my friends bought this for me, although i hadn't really heard much of Travis i imstantly loved it. 'Why Does It Always Rain On Me?' 'Driftwood' and 'Writing To Reach You' are brilliant songs, every song is great though. Well worth buying.
on 15 April 2006
Travis are one of my favourite bands simply because of their simplicity. There isnt really nothing that original or spectacular about the music or lyrics of Travis' songs, but they are all great sing alongs with good melodys that are easy to chill out to.

I have given this album 4 stars purely because I am not a fan of ALL of the whole tracklisting. However, there are some classics such as Sing, Turn and my personal favourite, Driftwood.

All in all, a great collection of Travis' hits thats well worth the purchase. If your after a chill out CD, then this ones for you.
on 24 July 2013
I saw Travis live recently at a festival and I was completely blown away. I've never been massive fan but now I must say my view has completely changed. As soon as I was home I purchased this album and I absolutely love it. Great, great band.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 20 May 2013
Travis are one of my favourite alternative rock bands from the aftermath of Britpop. 'Singles' is a collection of every single they released from 1997-2004, therefore making it a definitive collection of everything they released up until that point, and serving as a great introduction to the band. With only all the hits present, and a few of their strong past studio album only tracks, any filler is avoided.

My personal favourites will always be 'Driftwood', 'Writing To Reach You' (inspired by '74-75' by the Connells), 'Flowers In The Window' and 'Why Does It Always Rain On Me?', all absolute classics that nobody I know seems to dislike.

An excellent CD of catchy pop/rock songs with simplistic lyrics. This is one of those albums that you'll find yourself chilling out to again and again. Although they have released three more albums and numerous other singles since this collection was released, I still think that 'Singles' captures the band at their best, and contains the creme of their material.
on 23 December 2004
I have to admit i luv Travis. They are such a great band who write some of the best lyrics ever. The title of the songs are just sublime. Each song has a meaning.
Well this cd consists of 18 songs from which 17 are singles. I own all the singles in view. They range from the 4 albums but also contain 'Coming Around' and 'Walking In The Sun'. All the singles are brilliant and are different. My favourites have to be 'Turn', 'Side' and 'Re-Offender'.
This is a great way to end the first era of Travis. Bring on the next one. It was great to hear them say this is not their greatest hits as they have a long future before they have finished.
To sum it up Travis are a great live band who show off indie-rock with ease. They also have 4 talented members and each can sing to ('The Distance' by Dougie). LONG LIVE TRAVIS
on 14 June 2005
The eagerly anticipated greatest hits package from Scots rockers Travis was released in October 2004, and although it enjoyed a fair run on the UK album chart and reached a top position of no. 4, "Singles" unfortunately did not receive the recognition it deserves in my opinion. It brings together all of the Glaswegian group's best work from their four hugely successful studio albums - their solid debut "Good Feeling" from 1997, the groundbreaking "The Man Who", which was the biggest selling British album in 1999, "The Invisible Band" from 2001, and the most recent "12 Memories" from 2003 - and I am delighted to say that every track reflects exactly why Travis have stayed in the hearts of rock and indie followers since the late 1990s. All of my favourite Travis singles have taken pride of place on this stunning album, from the epic "Writing to reach you" to the jaunty pace of "Coming around".
What better way to commence the album than with the group's first UK Top 3 hit, "Sing"? This track is trademark Travis, with its laid back yet meaningful melody and the soft strumming of acoustic guitars. More songs that follow this lead in style are the next track "Driftwood", a firm favourite with fans everywhere, and the sadly underrated "Side", which I personally think is one of Travis' greatest tracks. Its lyrics are scarily representative of the majority of people's feelings ("The grass is always greener on the other side, the neighbour's got a new car that you wanna drive, and when time is running out you wanna stay alive"), and the electric guitar ostinatos scattered throughout the song are spine tingling.
Although Travis singles can generally be classed as rock or indie, every track on this album is somehow different. There is a slight change in genre provided by the cheery "Flowers in the window", the ray of hope within the otherwise moody aura of its parent album "The Invisible Band", and the grittiness of "Turn". A standout track that I would regard as one of these changes of direction for Travis is the stunning "More than us"; the beautiful string arrangements perfectly compliment Fran Healy's appropriately soft and emotional vocals on this track.
Curious, too, are the band's more recent offerings from the album "12 Memories". "Re-offender" was the group's comeback single following drummer Neil Primrose's accident in 2003, and it haunted me from the very first listen; a song referring to violence in a relationship is not something I would usually embrace. Yet I couldn't get enough of Travis' new, slightly depressing but interesting style, as I found it strange to hear Healy singing of darker subjects than before. The similarly minor key "Love will come through" also displays Healy's recently uncovered raw emotions, and the result is a chilling masterpiece with beautiful vocal overdubs in the chorus. The final track taken from the album "12 Memories" is "The beautiful occupation", which seems slightly out of place among its gloomy peers. This song suggests that the listener should open his arms to the world ("don't need an invitation to drop in upon a nation"), and its happily strummed acoustics are reminiscent of the band's earlier tracks.
I bought this album on my knowledge of Travis' albums "The Man Who" and "The Invisible Band", and as much as I adored those albums I was curious to hear the band's earlier material. I was pleasantly surprised; the four tracks included here from "Good Feeling" are very different from the more recent songs. The group's debut single, "All I want to do is rock" probably took me aback more than its fellows, but this was no bad thing once I had recovered from the initial shock. The song kicks off with a slow bass drum beat accompanying Healy's mournful vocals, which sound somewhat drunken on first listen, and doesn't really move away from this style as the song continues. This track has grown on me immensely, as have the roaring riffs of "U16 girls" (a playfully rude song about women under the age of sixteen, hence the song title) and the delightful "Happy", which, with its major key and innocent lyrics, sounds exactly like its name. "Tied to the 90's" also displays innocence among the band; the boys' enthusiastic shouts of "Hey!" in the introduction inject a slightly humorous aspect to the song.
The only new track included here is "The distance", the perfect way to end this amazing album. After seventeen superb songs sung pleasantly by Healy, the group's bassist Dougie Payne takes over lead vocals for a surprising change, and he does a fine job. His vocals sound every bit as heartfelt as Healy's and the chorus of this song in particular is very inspiring. This lovely track was also written by Payne, and proves that Healy is not the only major songwriting talent in Travis.
"Singles" is the spectacular result of eight years of dedication to the music industry by the most successful Scottish act to emerge in recent years. I cannot rate this album highly enough. Travis, fellow Scots, I salute you.
on 12 April 2014
I remember a few travis songs as i am a bit to young to remember them back in there hayday, I am excited to see them at The IOW fest this year so got this album. There are some great tunes on it and alot more i knew which i didnt know was travis.