on 9 September 2016
wish i had read it ages ago when i just arrived to UK, it would really make me adjusting much much easier with the understanding of all of it.
on 10 February 2013
I've enjoyed reading this book, as an American ex-pat who has often felt confused living in England. Written with insight and great affection.
on 7 January 2015
Although I'm English I really didn't think I was typical - until I read this book. I now realise I'm rather typical and it had me in stitches. Then it quite simply changed my life as I began to observe behaviour I meetings, in queues, in pubs and everywhere. I don't agree with everything in the book and I wonder how Social Media will impact upon our Englishness or will it be even easier to document! More worryingly, what will the impact be of the demise of our pubs? I hope there'll be an update soon.
on 30 October 2014
Love this book. It was ironic that I saw someone else on the tube reading it at the same time as me… but then didn't mention it to him.
on 9 September 2004
I accidently found this book in a Hong Kong store amongst English Grammar books and dictionaries. It is very entertaining and I have reccommended it to foreign friends who are bemused by us and English friends who want to laugh at themselves. The American woman I share an office with read it and it has confirmed her suspicions, not least from working with me, that we are all quite mad!
on 2 March 2016
Even though Kate Fox is a professional anthropologist this book is written in an engaging, almost journalistic style and makes for accessible reading by anyone. If you are English you will be wincing and chuckling in equal measure as you recognise your strange and inexplicable Englishness. If you are not English you will at last have the key to all those mystifying behaviours that have defeated you in the past. A "Manners and Customs" book for the modern English.
on 2 March 2013
This book is ok not well written but it does make you chuckle sometimes. not sure we English like to be looked at quite so closely?
on 19 July 2013
Great book in good condition as advertised. A good read for anyone perhaps especially for someone unfamiliar with British culture.
on 29 November 2016
The book is written from an extremely left wing perspective.

If you share her politics you may like it.

If you don't you will probably think it is drivel.
on 5 July 2017
I should've ordered paperback, hardcover is too heavy and not handy