on 17 June 2013
I came to write this after reviewing ...Like Clockwork by Queens Of The Stone Age. I was surprised to hear this album getting negative comments over there so I headed this way to set the world to rights - but happily that doesn't seem to be the majority view.

It makes me wonder (oooh and it makes me wonder) if fans of Led Zeppelin and/or the Foo Fighters picked up a copy of TCV expecting to hear their respective favourite band, only to discover it's thoroughly Queens Of The Stone Age (with some wandering Kashmir style John Paul Jones keyboard playing - Bandoliers - being the only atypical ingredient). I suppose if the boot was on the other foot and I found I'd got a Foo Fighters album, I too would be disappointed; so if I can add anything to the previous comments, it would be to target my recommendation specifically to fans of the whole QOTSA back catalogue.

Some people describe this album as a grower; I would describe QOTSAs Era Vulgaris and ...Like Clockwork as growers, but with this album the majority of tracks grabbed me at the first listen, with the last four or five tracks taking a little longer. I find the arrhythmic Reptiles a bit jarring, and Interlude With Ludes slightly derivative of Era Vulgaris's I'm Designer (as well as being a skippable spaced-out novelty). I love the rest, Josh Hommes compositions thump along like an engine as usual; and it has the original and the best Elephant song on it, none of that Tame Impala nonsense.
on 15 January 2018
Loved Nirvana and am a big fan of Foo Fighters. Nothing like them.
This was recommended by a friend who raved about it.
I just could not get into it.
Too loose for me.
Lacks power and structure.
Some love it but not for me
on 26 April 2017
Good stuff. Sounds more "Queens of the stone age" than "Led Zep" or "Foo's", but some very cool sounds. They make a great 'super trio'.
on 3 December 2016
Great album, very loud so you really have to be ready to rock out.
Yet again some very melancholy lyrics which i am a fan of and i like how it works with most of the songs.
I'm guilty of loving anything josh homme touches so i may be biased but brilliant guitar work from him as always, dave grohl is on fire and john paul jones is john paul jones.
This is a truly unique album but be open minded if you're gonna tackle it otherwise it'll beat you up with racket.
on 28 January 2018
Album turned up and side 1 / 2 hadn't been cut properly so wouldn't spin properly on the turntable. Had to get the sandpaper out which in turn made me scratch the album. Plays properly now and the small scratch doesn't appear to have done much, but I'm massively disappointed. Would have returned it had I not thrown the packaging and also didn't need it asap
on 10 September 2012
I have a relatively small collection of vinyl LP's but they are all carefully chosen.
I look for good quality packaging and sleeve notes and the more robust types of vinyl.
This ticks all of those boxes so the fact that the music itself is of very high quality is a bonus.
Well written and recorded it is not just an ego trip for the participants as other "super groups" have been in the past.
Each artist displays their own range of talents and influences.
I have not yet had the opportunity to compare with the CD version but it will me give an excuse to listen to it again.
on 12 August 2013
This album is simply amazing!!
The insane combination of Dave Grohl, Josh Homme and legendary Zeppelin bassist John Paul Jones has created an awesome unique sound. You can really hear the influences of all three bands Foo Fighters, Queens and Zeppelin.
I really hope this is not just a one off project. I would recommend this album to any rock fans
on 11 October 2017
I really wanted to like this but in truth its..OK. Couple of decent songs but its all a bit samey and most tracks could do with an edit. Would have made a great EP/mini album
on 6 May 2016
This album is reminiscent of the first three Queens of the Stone Age albums, yet it's more refined and slightly less mental! I absolutely love it though, and think any QOTSA fan would love it too.
on 11 February 2010
Them Crooked Vultures brings together Josh Homme (Queens Of The Stone Age), Dave Grohl (Foo Fighters/Nirvana), and John Paul Jones (Led Zeppelin), in a gloriously monsterous new 'supergroup'. You can definately hear the influence of QOTSA and Led Zep, but the CD is not a rip off of those two bands, it skews off into all kinds of interesting directions, like an open canvass upon which the trio spin their sonic web to fantastic effect. Now and then it doesn't quite work, but those moments are few and far between, I look forward to (hopefully)more from TCV. Nice!