TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 4 March 2011
I bought this to replace an old P-Touch 85, which was excellent light duty labeller... but used to consume 6 x AA batteries an alarming rate... even if it was switched off! I could've lived with that if it had a facility to plug a mains adaptor in but sadly, it didn't.

The P-Touch 90 sensibly addresses that last issue (it has a 7-9v DC in)... and to some degree, the former one. It still consumes batteries like they're going out of fashion... but now, they're the 'AAA' kind... and only four of them this time.

It's very intuitive to use. The menus are easy to access and it does all the usual bold, outline, italics, etc. as well as 'wingdingy' type symbols, shading and frames. There's a basic guide printed on the underside so you don't have to print a label and then go "What!? That wasn't what I wanted...!"

Overall, I'd highly recommend it. It works very well and it's great value. The replacement M-Tapes are also easy to get hold of and are sensible money. It's definitely worth investing in a mains DC adaptor because it does love it's batteries!
on 13 April 2013
Don't be tight, and buy an adapter with it. It will bankrupt you in batteries otherwise. Really, these should have been manufactured as mains only. You'll fit a new set of batteries, print a couple of labels, and then it will start complaining about the batteries getting weak. It's pretty amazing really just how quick this will eat a set of batteries.

So anyway, I thought as I had a lot of spare power adapters kicking about, I would use one of those. But beware, these printers use negative tip, positive shell for the connector. Most adapters these days are the other way round. So my advice is to buy the proper adapter, or just buy a multi voltage one and configure it accordingly.

Regarding the printer, it prints nice labels, but finding most of the symbols can be a challenge. Each is substituted for a code such as A11. I might be going blind, but I could not find a chart of these in the book. You have to print out the chart on long labels. I guess these could be stuck to the back of the unit for reference. I never managed to print a whole one out though to see what length it was as the batteries ran out !!

Apart from the pointless battery option, these are nice printers.
on 15 March 2011
I was recommended to buy the most expensive Brother Labelmaker I could find - this was the cheapest but works brilliantly. Has loads of options that confuse silghtly, but if you ignore them and just use basic font and style it works brilliantly and produces clear professional labels in seconds. Rolls of tape are a little expensive - probably in line with cartridges for printers. Excellent purchase.
on 18 October 2012
Purchased this to label up drawers and storage crates in the garage and works very well. I would recommend a mains power supply (doesn't have to be an original Brother) as it eats batteries. First set of batteries only printed 5 labels, so worth investing £5 in a power adapter
on 26 November 2012
I am delighted with this and have been busy making labels for various plugs around the house. Some previous comments said that the batteries don't last long, but I am using Lithium batteries (same as in my camera) and at the moment they are doing very well.
on 7 July 2015
I picked this up in a bargin bin somewhere, not from Amazon, but I felt I should share my experience with the world.

This is a basic label printer that does some fancy fonts or something too - what could go wrong? Well as other high-star reviewers have noted is it will consume batteries at a shocking rate. It takes four AAA batteries, but don't try and be smart and use rechargeable batteries, AAA rechargeables are only 1.2V and this needs 1.5V batteries.

You'll be lucky to find an AC adapter for it too unless you want to spend fifteen quid on a Brother one; as the connector is the opposite polarity to what is common (meaning if you were to connect up a generic adapter you'd probably fry it).

Mine sat in a drawer for a while until I got round to buying a small stock pile of AAA batteries, it had been bugging me that there was a bunch of stuff now unlabelled, so I filled it up and printed my first label. It promptly told me the battery was low. I dismissed this as just shoddy engineering and carried on - but to no avail. The thing just died and powered off half way through a print.

I tested the brand new batteries on a volt-metre and they were all reading a healthy 1.6V, I tried some different brands but the best I got was a slow werring noise before it conked out.

The unit has gone in the recycling bin and I now have a small collection of unneeded AAA batteries.
on 11 March 2014
Would not recommend as the system does not have an adapter point, so you have to use batteries only, which are eaten up within seconds. Amazon were great and were happy to take the item back and I received my money back, hence the one star for Amazon!
on 18 November 2013
This is a standard labeling machine and it works quite well. Nothing special just allows someone to make labels with 1 row or two rows. If you need to label something this will work.
on 3 October 2011
Anyone who subscribes to the philosophy of "Getting Things Done" by David Allen knows that labellers are a must have! I have one at work and one at home.
on 23 November 2014
A neat and useful labeller, but requires the M-Tape type of label tape, which Brother stocks but isn't so easy to find elsewhere. Also, it doesn't work with older versions of M-Tape (M + 3 numbers), as opposed to current version (M-K + 3 numbers). As some have noted, it can be hard on batteries, so the mains adapter would be useful if it is to have lots of use (or else lots of batteries!). Lastly, the keys are quite small (they look big in the photo), but are quite usable, if not for speed typing!