on 14 August 2014
If you really want to read more of Garth Nix, then this is worth adding to your collection - the brief introduction at the beginning of each story provides a nice insight into Nix's thought and writing process.
Overall however, it's very much a scrapbook - there's ideas all over the place, just waiting to have something done with them.
on 15 August 2008
several great short stories in this book. each is quite unique and individual and i love the little explanations of each of the stories from the author himself. gives each story its own place and character (if that is possible!). i have several favorites but the ones that stand out are 1) the story about the girl left doorstep set in wild west 2) the different take on the merlin and the lady story 3) lady in the lake story.

BTW THIS HAS CREATURE IN THE CASE IN IT. dont make the same mistake and buy this as well as creature in the case seprately
on 11 September 2012
Across The Wall was a must to buy for me after reading the old kingdom triology Sabriel, Lirael & Abhorsen written for children but so appealing to the adult audience.
Across the Wall came within a week of purchase and in very good quality just as advertised on the website, if anyone wants more adventure from the Old Kingdom and Garth Nix's characters then this is a must to buy.
on 21 February 2016
I loved this book, but I wish that somewhere in the description on amazon it said it contains the short story the Creature in the Case, or I wouldn't have bought them both!
on 31 July 2017
Another of my Nix favourites
on 17 June 2012
I loved the Sabriel, Lirael and Abhorsen series, but was really disappointed by this book, which appears to be trying to squeeze extra money out of the original books.

There is only one story about the Old Kingdom, which was so short that you were just getting into the book when it ended, which left you feeling very short changed. The rest of the stories I found pretty dull and only read because I was hoping for something special to appear at some point.
on 13 January 2010
An interesting miscellany of stories which demonstrates the versatility of Garth Nix. Readers who are only familiar with the Old Kingdom books may be surprised that he can write comedy, too - "Down to the Scum Quarter" is hilarious. The longest of the stories is the novella "Nicholas Sayre and the Creature in the Case", which was excellent. It was brilliantly paced, full of action and suspense and a good development of the Nicholas Sayre character - it left me wanting to know more about the Old Kingdom and what happened next to Nick, Sam and Lirael. Other stories in the collection are sombre and thought-provoking - for example, "Charlie Rabbit" and "Hope Chest".
on 25 January 2016
There is one story I found, the first that has anything to do with either side of the wall.
I was sad to find Nicks story ended abruptly.. I hope it is in the next book. I really like this set of characters and felt that Clairel is the let down story. Good but to far removed from those characters, set before Sabriels fathers time.
on 22 December 2014
Excellent. The further stories of abhorsen chronicles looking at the other side of the wall in our land and how we are affected by the magic leaking. Over from the other side.
on 15 April 2015
I'd read The Creature in the Case before, but the rest of the stories were all new to me. I loved every single one of them. Absolutely fantastic author!