on 12 January 2018
Not the best of the series....a bit slow in places and not much humour....but still not bad. Several interweaving plots make it a bit complex but it's worth persevering with them as they tie in together at the end quite well. Rankin deals with the subject of child abuse very well. It's always gone on of course, in all levels of society, so it's refreshing to see an author tackle it head on. The novel also introduces some aspects of Rebus's youth via a school girfriend which gives the reader some more insight into his character. As always Rebus tackles his problems with women and work via drinking and smoking. It's interesting that some reviewers find this upsetting. Perhaps it's time they looked up from their sheltered lives. Many people live like this. As I said, not his best, but still worth a read.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 8 January 2017
I was a little disappointed with this (although I only paid 99p for it and so can't really complain) and I'm not sure whether some of it isn't that I've come in on book 10. However - book 10 was written in 1999 and perhaps if I'd started at 1, when Rankin was a less experienced author, I possibly wouldn't have carried on anyway.

I don't mind that the book had lots of characters - but I wasn't convinced that all the relationships were realistic. Rebus and Patience for example were a couple who barely acknowledged each other's presence and their relationship felt like an afterthought.

I also struggled with the book feeling (to me) like it didn't have a consistent sense of the time it was set in. Mentioning a Walkman, for example, dated it quite specifically to the 90s and yet some of the descriptions of people's living rooms (sitting "by the fire") sometimes made it sound like it was set in the 1950s.

I'm also never keen on reading books where the main character drinks heavily and drives. Something Rebus must've been doing as it seems some days that he was having Whiskey for breakfast, dinner and tea.

I had struggled about the 30% mark and had visited here to read some reviews to see if it was worth carrying on. I think it's because Mr Rankin has quite an intense way of writing and it means you feel like you're pushing on with the book. Struggling to explain myself here but when I read a Jack Reacher, for example, the prose is so slick and light that it feels like the pages are turning themselves as you are swept along with the story. This book felt like more of a slog at times.

I won't spoil the ending for anyone - but that left me a little disappointed too (having invested so much time in what is a fairly long book it felt like thre were loose ends left dangling). Overall it's not a bad book and it explores some difficult topics - but I don't think it's set me up to read any more Rebus stories.
on 1 July 2013
Let it Bleed is the seventh in the Inspector Rebus series written by Ian Rankin and during the course of this book Rankin tests his detective like never before.

During a cold Edinburgh winter Rebus is looking into the disappearance of the daughter of Lord Provost and at the start of the book he and his Chief Inspector are driving through the streets of the city in chase of a car that possibly contains the missing girl and her potential kidnapers. The fallout from this high speed chase will leave Rebus asking questions that he might not want the answers too....

This was a very good and very enjoyable book. Rankin manages to show both the relentless and single minded side of Rebus and the vulnerable and insecure side. His relationship with both Patience and Sammy are evolving and changing in front of us and it is at times, hard to not feel sorry for him as he struggles to be the father he knows he should be.

The book also sees the return Gill Templer. Fans of the series will remember her as his love interest and colleague in the first book, well times have changed and Gill is not just back...she is his boss. This was a masterstroke by Rankin. Rebus clearly still cares for Gill but she is now the establishment getting in the way of his one man investigation. The scenes with the two in are highlights of the book for me.

All in all I found this to be a very good book. It begins at a very fast pace with the car chase and the story that springs from this chase was both entertaining and gripping. The only thing keeping it from a full five stars was the volume of characters that Rankin creates and uses during the book. I at times struggled to keep up with who was who at had to use the search button a fair few times to remember the background of some of the people I was reading about.

Despite that minor quibble I still found this a very good and very enjoyable book to read. I would recommend this book to any fan of Ian Rankin or any fan of the crime genre in general.
on 8 September 2014
Resurrection Men is the thirteenth in the Rebus series written by Ian Rankin and in my opinion it is one of the best.

Right from the start Rankin establishes that this book is very much a fifty-fifty split between our hero and his understudy Siobhan Clark. No longer working on the same cases but from different angles like in previous books, the two are now not even in the same police station for the majority of this book.

Rebus is back in training as his temper has finally got the better of him. Whilst looking into the murder of a local art dealer, Rebus’s frustration reaches boiling point and he throws a cup of tea at his commanding officer. Finally having gone too far he is banished to the Scottish Police College for retraining leaving Siobhan and the team to attempt to solve the murder without him.

I found this book to be a very, very good read. All the usual elements of an Ian Rankin book are present. The story as usual is intricate and moved along at a very fast pace and at times I found myself just as confused as Rebus as to who the good guys and who the bad guys were.

All in all I found this to be a very satisfying read and very enjoyable. I would highly recommend this to any fan of the crime genre and to Rebus fans in particular.
on 2 June 2014
Dead Souls is the tenth Ian Rankin book to feature his creation Detective Inspector John Rebus, and in my opinion is a true triumph in crime story telling.

The book finds Rebus morally conflicted as the ghosts of his past and Edinburgh refuse to give him peace. Still deeply struggling with the events of the last book guilt plays a major role in Dead Souls. Indeed during the introduction in this book, Ian Rankin says that he set out to change Rebus's mind with regards his actions towards a convicted Paedophile that he discovers has been released and living in his city. It is fascinating and wonderful reading watching Rebus battle himself and his own inner conflicts with regards his actions.

Elsewhere in the book a senior Police Officer has for no apparent reason committed suicide. His personal and professional life appears to be in a wonderful state and no one has a clue as to what would possibly have made him take his own life. In true Rebus style he refuses let it go and begins digging deeper and deeper into the officer's life in pursuit of the truth.

Rebus is also troubled by Cary Oakes. Oakes a convicted serial killer has won his freedom from the United States on the condition that he leaves the country. With Edinburgh his choice of destination Rebus soon finds himself going head to head with a very, very dangerous adversary.

I found this book to be a wonderful read. With three main stories running at the same time it was impossible to put down, and the creation of Cary Oakes is in my opinion one of the biggest successes of the series so far. All heroes need a villain to play off and Oakes is perfect for Rebus. The dialogue between them almost jumps off the page it is so good.

I would recommend this book very highly to any fans of the Rebus series or the crime genre in general.
on 2 February 2016
I started with Book One in the series and am reading them in order. For me, this is the one where Rankin reaches full maturity as a writer. It's where Rebus's character becomes fully rounded and where I, the reader, feel I know the guy with his quirks, sharp mind and humour.

You have to stay alert with these books; there are so many characters, incidents and subtle plot-points that it can sometimes feel like a feat of memory just to keep up. But there's always just enough explanation and revision to keep you hanging on, breathless, to Rebus's coattails as he puts his case together.

Highly recommended.
on 21 August 2016
I am working my way through the Rebus novels and have enjoyed each one, until this one. In fact I didn't finish it. I usually read a Rebus in about 2 days. After a week of reading this one, which is indicative of something I am sure, I just couldn't be bothered to read any more. I think the problem I had was with the multiple threads and the sheer unpleasantness of everything. I got to the point where I just wasn't interested in how everything turned out. I will try the next one and will hope that I find it more enjoybable.
on 15 December 2016
This is the first Rebus book I have read so I have missed out on a lot of background to regular characters although it is not absolutely vital to know everything to enjoy the book. I was interested in the possible relationship between Rebus and Siobhan Clarke although I couldn't make up my mind whether she is into men or not. Will certainly read more inspector Rebus books but not sure I will start at the beginning.
on 30 October 2016
SUPERB stuff. Amazing characters. Seen the tv output and heard the rounds of applause. DESERVED. Got we'll bogged down with the endless minutia. Read it over and over and EVEN by sheer coincidence listened to the Radio 4 adaptation. WTF it was really about fell off the bridge with Willie and Dixie. But. It was good.
on 7 September 2017
Brilliant. One of the best Rebus novels i have read. A great story, easy to follow the intriguing plot and Rebus at his best.