on 9 April 2017
Loved this book from start to finish, you can see all the lovely caricatures as you read, one minute you will be laughing next you will be crying, it's gripping in places, and it makes you read on to find out how some people are, living in squalor back in the late forties early fifties makes you think how people made it. But they did they just rolled up their sleeves and got on with it.
on 27 March 2012
I found out about the book(s) by chance seeing of the first episode of 'Call the Midwife" one Sunday evening. Immediately after,I saw it on Amazon and downloaded it. By the time of the second episode I'd read it and her two other books in the trilogy: I was dying to see how they'd possibly manage to film the remainder of the book(s).
The writing is simply stunning both as narrative and social history...it took a week out of my life because I was so drawn to read everything she wrote. I don't think her writing is condescending, as others have suggested, just that her previous life, as most of ours, had not prepared her for the depths of poverty, abuse and filth in which many of her clients gave birth: even her training had not prepared her for that. I think her wring is keenly observed, Flows well and moves well between her life as a new midwife and the sometime lengthy back stories of the people she meets.

The TV programme, whilst excellent, was forced to reduce the complicated lives and stories to their simplest form: the books give you the whole stories and I became totally caught up in lives so different from my own, yet so tragic they made me cry.
These books will stand , not just as a personal memoir of a career as a midwife, but as a very valuable social history of a time airbrushed out of London history , buried under the glamour of Docklands flats and the money and power in Canary wharf. We need to remember these lives, so lovingly presented by Jennifer Worth as only 50 odd years ago, and at a time when much of Britain " had never had it so good" and on the cusp of the Swinging 60s : nb the books are set at the very end of the 50s, but from the poverty and despair could've been in the 20s or 30s.
If you treat yourself to anything buy the three books in the set. You won't be disappointed.
on 24 August 2017
This has been bought as a gift so I will not be able to give a full review. However I have briefly scanned over the contents and read a few pages and it appears to be excellent.
on 12 December 2013
I read this book over a weekend of bad weather when I couldnt get out in the garden. I must say it was an eye opener to me as to just how bad and even life threatening giving birth was years ago. I found the book flowed nicely and un like some books Ive read I didnt skip chapters when they got a bit boring. Ive not watched the tv series but I think now I might look out for the repeats. Some of the tales are quite harrowing.
on 27 June 2017
A fascinating and vivid account of living and working in the East End in the 1950's . A little slice of social history .
on 29 April 2017
Loved this book as I did the series.
on 13 April 2017
Not yet had time to read it
on 3 April 2017
Since I was brought up in the east end ,I was very impressed with this book! Well worth reading,I'm onto my second book,now and can't wait to read the rest.
on 11 August 2017
Very pleased with order thank you
on 9 October 2017
I loved all her books. A wonderful and talented lady.