on 19 May 2017
A remarkably good album from Robbie with a maturer sound. I'd always considered Sing When You're Winning, with it's joyous first half and serious second half, as his best and I've liked him since seeing him live in 1998. Escapology came somewhere close behind as the second. He then went off the boil for me and I ended up buying Rudebox and this album without the real heart to sit and listen. I was a long time but I decided to give this album a go and now wish I'd done so years earlier.

The songs are solid and strong without ever sounding they're 'trying to be Robbie', something for me that Intensive Care and Rudebox failed in, and the production is tremendous. Highly recommended. If you'd given up on Robbie after his do-no-wrong golden era of the early 2000's, definitely get this album.
on 2 March 2017
Another cracking album from Robbie.
on 26 April 2017
Great CD
on 26 March 2017
A gift for someone and they were very happy.
on 16 March 2017
Product sealed. In perfect condition. Great price. It was very good to work with you.
Leaving Take That was quite possibly the best thing Robbie Williams could have ever done for himself. The man has gone onto become a house hold name, one of biggest figures in pop music, and has made a string of consistently brilliant studio albums. His eighth, released in 2009, might possibly his best to date.

'Reality Killed the Video Star' is made up of songs of a variety of different styles and songs, pop, rock, dance, big and bold, reflective and slow, sometimes witty - it could be described as Robbie Williams' definitive album in many ways.

Things open up with one of my favourite Robbie songs, the deep and mellow 'Morning Sun' (written after the death of Michael Jackson), and quickly moves into the feel-good pop of the smash hit single 'Bodies', followed by the soulful 'You Know Me', and then the addictive, glam-rock-esque 'Do You Mind', always something different.

With well crafted songs, great production, and a good mix of wonderful ballads and fun tracks to make you want to get up and dance, 'Reality Killed the Video Star' is a great musical experience every time I slip the album on. Choose not to buy this one, and you'll be missing out on a modern classic.
on 29 October 2009
To start off with, I am not a huge Robbie fan, so this is an unbiased review. Secondly, I felt I had to post my comments to counter the negative remarks that have been made by other "reviewers" who have yet to hear the album! I've had access to a preview copy of the new CD and have to say that I really like it, in fact I can't stop playing it at the moment! In my opinion this marks a return to form for Robbie, more in line with his older material (Angels, Feel, Millennium, etc.). The main difference between this new CD and his older works would be the fact that he had dropped the cheesy "cheeky boy" act and seems to be taking a much more mature approach to his music.

The album leans more towards reflective ballads and gentle pop with about 3 upbeat tracks in between but nothing as high energy as "Let Me Entertain You" or "Rock DJ". Don't get me wrong, tracks like "Do You Mind", "Difficult for Weirdos" will still get you bopping around in the kitchen and are great fun but this is a more mature sound which shows that Robbie is growing along with his audience and he really gives us something that we can connect with. Trevor Horn's production is excellent, delivering a very rich layered sound with plenty of orchestration. The two tracks with a more "electronic" sound, ("Last Days of Disco" and "Difficult For Weirdos") would easily fit on to any Pet Shop Boys album but work equally well on this CD. I love the track "Bodies" and there are loads more stand out tracks on the album that will no doubt be future singles, such as "Morning Sun" and "Decepticon", both of which are excellent.

Definitely worth a listen whether you are a Robbie fan or not and highly recommended if you are a fan of well produced pop music.
11 Comment| 58 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 October 2009
Normally I have no time for reviews written before the release of an album. But I've just listened to a number of the new tracks from this album on a live radio broadcast and they were absolutely incredible. I've gone from 'I might buy it but I don't know' to 'Give me this album NOW!' If you were wavering rest assured the boy is back with avengance.
Two weeks on and track by track:
Morning Sun - beautiful opener and the lyrics make a lot of sense when you know it was written following the death of Michael Jackson
Bodies - sorry Rob but I wasn't convinced it was even a grower. However, it sits a lot more comfortably in the context of the album and I really like it now.
You Know Me - good sing along but not the best choice of single (IMHO)
Blasphemy - gripped me totally on the Electric Proms broadcast and is still beautiful 100 plays later
Do You Mind - fun - I love the performance on this. For dancing round the kitchen
Last Days of Disco - Never got the Pet Shop Boys thing but this is gradually getting to me
Somewhere - Cute vignette (is that how you spell it?)
Deceptacon - To plagerise a newspaper reviewer this is a 'Languid sigh' of a song and now my favourite Robbie ever. Just gorgeous (and to those critical of the lyrics think on "I am the walrus coocoocachoo..........")
Starstruck - Yes! yes! and yes again! Should have been the second single.
Difficult for Weirdoes - See Last Days of Disco
Superblind - Didn't even notice it first play through but now think it's stunning. Rob at his falsetto best.
Won't Do That - a bit cheesy but if he wrote it for me I wouldn't mind one bit (Ayda's a lucky lady!)
On a final note - the production is excellent. Lovely orchestrations but not over done to the point that all the soul is missing. Buy it? Certainly. Welcome back, Rob.
33 Comments| 34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 December 2015
In 2010...something odd happened to me.

I became a Robbie Williams fan...and no, not just because he is into conspiracy theories and lizards running the world and David Icke like this reviewer, but because....the timing was right..

The stars were aligned...suddenly I realized why "I was a robbie williams fan"...why did I not feel this way before about his music?

Back in 2000, I had to travel around in the car with my other family members, two of my sisters who chose his tape the highly popular Ego has landed...with all his "hits.."
Over and over again they would play it.

I to be honest, for the life of me could not see what the big fuss was about.
I found him annoying....I could not deny that Angels was a great pop song (at least it had a guitar solo I guess) but to be honest, I just felt like there was ALOT of music around that was not getting airplay and Robbie Williams was getting all the lime light.

His second follow up album "Sing when your winning" and that ridiculous repulsive video of him stripping off in his underpants did NOTHING to impress me. I also browsed through the booklet of that album, and saw the themes....football, and everyone looking like him.

The fact my eccentric cousin who now has become a police officer owned the album had my suspicions aroused.
And I just felt it was a record marketing joke like that other imbecile Shania Twain and all the other nonsensical rubbish you might of heard in the pop charts at the time.

So what changed then? Nothing.
His follow up album the one where he hanging upside down is also a load of nonsense (at the time anyway) I thought that his Intensive care album was cold, grey bland and uninteresting. But weirdly...upon looking at the discount cds I found one of his more recent ones a few years ago "Rudebox..."

"Well how bad can it be?" I thought.
Either way I had read some bad reviews on it and Noel Gallagher according to the press.........had called it utter rubbish.

So being a huge Oasis fan of course I went and brought it...yes I can hear you laughing right now.

Was it that bad? No it wasn't! I was surprised by how good some of the songs were. The 1st track was a bit of disaster but it was a new take on some of his music. The songs on the album were not trip hop and bop beep blop....they were actually very memorable. Many reminded me of his earlier songs on the Ego record. Of course some were covers, but I think 10 original songs by him were on that album.

So that led to this album. I brought it for my sister for christmas, since she used to listen to him all the time (the tape in the car...)
But she wasn't so interested, so I decided to give it a listen.
I thought at the time the cd was highly underated, and some of the songs were very good.
I could not understand why it was not more popular.

But the answer lies in one word.."time.." time had passed on. He had done too many experimental silly albums since his magnum genius....The ego has landed (a compilation of his first albums with a new song added in) - and this record got completely ignored.

What I like about this album is, its down to earth. I like the sand image, and motorbike and Robin sitting on his dusty motorbike in the middle of nowhere. It has a realism to the music and image of the record, which you don't see on his other albums.

This is definitely his most overlooked record.
You will find some great songs on here, you will also find some not so good songs....and probably others which could of been changed over for something. (Look for the b side Elastik to his morning son single as an example)

There are guitars here, but the electronic whizz sneaks onto a last track here, mostly its a laid back record, the highlight definitely being the first two songs Morning Son and Bodies, that is classic Robbie Williams rock/pop songs.

The first half of the record is the stronger half I think.

But, if you prefer Life thru a lens, I've been expecting you or the Ego has landed album this albums is a must without a doubt add on to those ones.

If he had released this record in 2000 it would of been hugely popular and opened him up to alternative music listeners rather than just the pop charts. There are many sides to Robbie William's music, most can be found in his b side collections - and he is capable of much more I think.

Life thru the lens and its b sides was promising but since then he seems to of gone down the path of "try this or that" instead of making more albums like his first.

And even if you are not a listener of his music but feel like you should own "one" album of his, I would say this is the best one to hear, mainly because its so unheard and has some interesting songs which sway between alternative and pop music.
on 9 November 2009
I'll be honest and say I'm a big Robbie fan anyway, but I am also realistic and can see (or hear!) Rudebox wasn't exactly his finest moment... I got this CD today and I have to say I was wondering what I was going to hear - but I needn't have worried! This is definitely Robbie back to his best, from the first track Morning Sun, which is a lovely opener and a good sign of what is to come, through the first single Bodies and then the great new single You Know Me (an anthem in waiting I think!) each song is individual with good strong lyrics. I loved the song Deceptacon (a bit moody) but there wasn't one track I flipped past on my first (or second, or third) listen.

If you thought Robbie was a has been think again - I would say this album is equally as good as his earlier one Escapology and the electronics of Rudebox are gone.

The CD case on this deluxe edition is cool aswell, being like a hardback book with the song lyrics on the pages. There are some great photos of the man himself and the CD tucks in the front cover and the DVD in the back one. Might have been nice if this had had a case of its own to protect the paper, but I guess you can't have everything :-)