on 16 July 2007
'What to expect the first year' was THE most useful book we found when we had our first child, so we bought this follow up expecting the same valuable info.

I don't know whether it's a reflection on how weak this second book is (or whether we're just more confident now that we've gained some parental experience) but we've barely dipped into this book. When we HAVE wanted to find out something, the book hasn't provided the information we've been looking for and to be honest we just look up things on the web instead.

I also think that during the toddler years, each child is so unique that there isn't a 'one size fits all' instruction book... whereas for the first year all babies are pretty similar on the whole.

I wouldn't bother with this one.
0Comment| 53 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 15 January 2017
Bought for a first time mum who is interested in what to expect from her one year old as she gets older. Seems to have loads of information. Quite a tome!
on 10 July 2016
Some good information. However parts in it are old info and very misleading for parents eg in the 13th month the suggestion that breastfeeding your baby past a year could make it difficult for your child to let go or that they might not be able to comfort themselves without a mum present if they continue breastfeeding?!?! And definitely lots of misleading milestones that could make people worry. Some good info too though. Not as good as the first year book.
on 5 August 2001
I have followed the What to expect series (First Year and Toddler) books and have found them excellent. I like their subtle tone as most of it is like my attitude to parenting (parenting is an important job and it should be taken seriously) although it's not patronising. If all parents even contemplated half of the advice in this book we'd see much better behaved and happier children. I have just ordered the What to expect when you're expecting as I hadn't found this series first timeround.
on 29 December 2013
I really like the sensible, knowledgeable and compassionate approach of the authors and find the book both reassuring and helpful in dealing with the issues that come up when looking after my toddler. However the Kindle edition is a disaster: it's really hard to find the relevant information and when you click on the links they go to the wrong places, which is extremely annoying. I wish I'd bought the paper version.
on 15 September 2014
This book met all my expectations, as did the other one "the first year". At first I didn't want to order it as some people wrote that it's not as good as first book, but good that i did. When I read this book, I understand that many mothers face same challenges as I do, which makes things easier. Otherwise, you may start thinking that your child is misbehaving and you may get angry for the things that would usual toddlers do in every corner of the world. What I really like also about these What to Expect series, writter gives you so many options to deal with different cases that one would definitely suit you. Though writter will also underline from time to time that you should read options as options and do not underestimate your own motherly instincs while deadling with your child.

Thanks a lot for such a nice book. It definitely helped me to be more petient mother.
on 12 May 2010
I bought the first book, What to expect, The First Year and it was brilliant. Very informative. This book looks to be the same. Of all the books I've bought this series is by far the best. Its format is easy to use and it is easy to dip into it when problems or quiries arise. Highly recommended by this first time Mum!
on 13 November 2000
I loved this series of books - the other two titles are What to Expect when you're expecting and What to Expect in the First Year.
These books answer questions you don't find answered elsewhere and I'd choose these over any other - including UK-specific books. The perfect present for a new mum.
on 21 February 2011
The 'What to expect books' are the best in the market. Given the 100's of books on the subject of pregnancy, babies & toddlers, these books are easy to read, full of invaluable advice, you can pick them up, read a particular paragraph & put it back down again.

This is my third one! (the Toddler series) (I already have the pregnancy & the baby ones). I read mine over & over again. They are laid out very well. An initial synopsis of what to expect, month by month, then a series of questions from parents, very well answered.....the advice is practical too. No judgements made, no 'you def should do this & that'....there are other sections at the back of the book about illness, special needs, to name but a few.

Def well worth the money - you will use them again & again.......
on 4 December 2011
After using What to Expect When You're Expecting as my 'bible' during pregnancy (HIGHLY RECOMMEND) I went on to purchase What to Expect the 1st Year which I didn't find great - possibly because I didn't have a moment to pick it up. I recently purchased this and I have to say it really is great. I'm a first time mum and find it really interesting to read. It's useful, to the point, there are sections you can read at anytime, also your child's development etc is broken down into months which i find extremely helpful. It includes, recipes, first aid, present ideas, developmental toy ideas, how to handle when they have little tantrums, advice and tips on sleeping, the list is endless. I'd be lost without it!!