on 26 July 2017
I'm reading the Rebus books in order and you can see the author improving as a writer and the character of Rebus developing. Some old characters from previous tales appear and it was good to see him leave his usual haunts and go as far as Aberdeen, Glasgow and even the Shetland oil rigs. In places it seemed overly long and became bogged down....(too many interweaving plots perhaps?)....and there were net as many good one liners as usual. Also some parts were unlikely....eg Rebus being questioned as a suspected serial killer withou being arrested? But apart from these comments it was still an enjoyable read. I can't see him staying on the waggon though....and he's even started to cry now! So I'll look forward to reading the next one.
on 23 October 2017
I know the 21st book is out but I have just discovered Rebus. Up to this book I wondered what all the hype was about. They were slow, a wee bit boring and the book often left me feeling hungover with a mouth full of nicotine. However, this book was fantastic. It was exciting, fast paced, lots of twists and turns and no hangover. On to the next, although, I need to remember I have a life outside Rebus.
on 28 May 2013
I have now read 3 Rebus novels and I am hooked. I have tried a couple of books by different authors since I finished Black and Blue but I was pining for another Rebus. Although there are some horrific crime scene descriptions, I find most of these books amusing and well described. Rankin seems to be able to summon up the atmosphere of a place so well you can almost smell it. I also always have a vision of Ken Stott from the TV series in my mind as I am reading which is very pleasing!
on 10 July 2017
This was my first Ian Rankin book and, although I may read another I will be in no great rush. It is a decent enough crime thriller and the real life connection to bible john is interesting but there are a lot of characters and connections that ultimately the book could do without in my opinion.
on 17 June 2017
The books just get better and better love rebus sarcastic to the bone my favorite one so far glad there more books to read.
on 7 December 2017
Good story yet again from this excellent crime writer!!
on 4 May 2014
A fairly typical offering from Ian Rankin in the Rebus series - our Edinburgh detective is his usual self: grumpy and not inclined to follow the rules. Well plotted and great characters as always.

I suspect I would be preaching to the converted if I write any more.
on 3 March 2017
A good read
on 11 February 2017
It's Rankin - it's good.
on 1 May 2017
Gripping and as good as ever.