on 1 June 2010
Someone's taking lethal shots at weres, including the leader of the Hotshot community, Calvin Norris and Sam, Sookie's boss. Calvin's people think it's Sookie's newly-turned brother Jason, but Sookie's determined to prove otherwise. In the meantime, she has to make a deal with Eric to get a temporary bartender to cover for Sam, and Alcide wants her help with the choosing of a new packmaster for the Shreveport werewolves. There's no rest for Sookie as her life is targeted several times, but thank god for her fairy godmother...

There was less of a structured plot in this one and more of many little plots, some of which connect and some of which don't - but I found it more enjoyable than some of the more single-plotted books like Club Dead. A whole parade of men tramp through Sookie's life wanting her attention and more: Eric, Bill, Sam, Alcide, Calvin and the new guy, Quinn. It gets quite crowded at times! But there's always something to keep us on our toes with Sookie and her crazy life
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 16 November 2009
Poor Sookie, no matter her intentions to avoid conflict (particularly the supernatural kind) and remain injury free, she again finds herself in the forefront of a variety of bloody scenes. These include a sniper targeting Weres, the more brutal relationships to be found between humans and vampires and a vicious contest to elect a new Packmaster.

The plot line is just crazy in this book; fast paced and frenzied throughout with odd but thoroughly enjoyable lip twitching moments. I'm loving Eric's determination to uncover what happened between him and Sookie when he was under a witch's curse (book 4 "Dead to the World") and Sookie's difficult relationship with her ex-boyfriend Vampire Bill. Equally intriguing is new shape shifter Quinn, who certainly makes an impact, whilst I'm itching to learn more of Claudine and her journey towards "the light". This series is improving with every book and I'm becoming somewhat addicted to Sookie's world.
This is the 5th book in the Sookie Stackhouse/True Blood series. I will admit that I only read the Sookie Stackhouse books as I had watched the television series however I absolutely love the books and now find the television series a bit wanting at times (although I still love the TV series). They seem to change the story in the television series so much from the books which in my opinion don't need changing however I assume they do this for a 'more dramatic storyline'. For anyone who is a fan of the television series then I would definitely advise them to read the books as they are so much better and go into so much more detail than the TV series can. I absolutely fell in love with Eric Northman in the series and if there was a 'team Eric' vs a 'team Bill' then I am definitely on team Eric! I can't wait until the latest instalment in the series is released from Charlaine Harris and I shall be reading it as soon as it touches my doormat!
on 6 July 2015
Perhaps not the best book of the series, but still very readable. The main storylines are the attacks on the shifters and werewolf politics, but there is still some interplay between Sookie and the vampires.

It's just as well that Sookie does have some cash, given the times she needs medical treatment (the USA doesn't have free healthcare). Her fairies could do a better job of keeping her from harm!
VINE VOICEon 23 April 2012
I'm currently taking a second trip through Charlaine Harris' Sookie Stackhouse books, so it is with some conviction that I can say that, in my opinion, Dead as a Doornail is perhaps the last in this series that has a decent standalone plot. After this book (and I'm currently reading Definitely Dead), I find that they all start to run together, becoming more of an ongoing saga than a series with discreet but related books. One of the reasons I decided to start re-reading the series was because I couldn't remember the events of individual books, and now, which came as a bit of a revelation, I realise why.

This is really a criticism for another day, though, because I enjoyed Dead as a Doornail. I love paranormal romance, and this series has long been one of my favourites. I find I can easily get lost in Sookie's world, and that's been a welcome distraction at times. It's an easy, well-flowing, page turning read, and more than worth any paranormal romance fan's time.

In this instalment, Sookie has to contend with her brother's first transformation into a werepanther (a plot strand continued from the last book, Dead to the World), and is herself caught in the crossfire when a sniper begins to target local shapeshifters.It's a simple enough premise, complicated, as one might expect from a romance, by Sookie's relationships with some of the victims and suspects. There are various subplots, including the Long Tooth pack's packmaster contest, which, in Quinn, introduces a potential new love interest, and her friend Tara's relationship with a vampire, which Eric uses as a bargaining chip to coax a secret from Sookie.

I don't have many complaints. If anything, I found the main plot a touch on the predictable side. I mean, how many more of Merlotte's cooks are going to meet a bad end? I suspected the serial perpetrator from the moment she leaned in to sniff Sookie, which kind of ruined the suspense for me, but I enjoyed the twists and turns of the plot on the way to that conclusion. The subplot involving Charles, which harked back nicely to the events of Dead Until Dark, was another high point for me. I like a bit of intertextuality.

So, of course, you can imagine how excited I was when a character from another of Harris' series, Lily Bard, appears in Bon Temps. This cameo is something I missed completely on my first read through the series, so I'm glad to have picked up on it this time through. This appearance, I thought, was well done, neither over-done nor abstruse. Lily plays her own role -- paranormal investigator -- which fits in well with the general circumstances of the plot, and she doesn't bring too much of her own series into Sookie's, if you understand what I mean. It's a clever thought on Harris' part, I think, and a nice tip of the hat to loyal readers.

Ultimately, while the main plot leaves a bit to be desired, the smaller sub-plots added enough spice and variety to keep me interested and entertained. Truthfully, I think the subplots are the reason this series continues to work -- you get so caught up in the characters and the details of their lives that there can never really be a dull moment even when not much is happening. I fear this isn't always going to be the case, because I remember what I thought of Dead Reckoning the first time through, but it works for now.

If you've enjoyed the Sookie Stackhouse series so far, then Dead as a Doornail won't let you down. It's a shame the main plot is a bit lightweight, but it's an entertaining, pacy read for all that.
on 27 January 2015
Enjoyed this series of books greatly and the only reason I stopped buying them was due to the fact they decided to change the covers for the actors in the show which as a collector is really annoying.
on 14 November 2013
I am really enjoying the True Blood books so far, but this one sort of slowed down a bit for me. The baddie was too obvious, you pretty much knew what was going to happy from the get go.
Still enjoyed the read but was hoping for a little bit more on this one.
You didn't seem to get the interaction between the charactures as much in this one aswell, but hey few more to go yet!
on 16 December 2009
Sookie Stackhouse has got just a month before the next full moon to find out who wants her brother Jason (and the Were population at large) dead. Sookie Stackhouse enjoys her life, mostly. She's a great cocktail waitress in a fun bar; she has a love life, albeit a bit complicated, and most people have come to terms with her telepathy. Now Jason is about to turn into a were-panther for the first time: she can deal with that, but her normal sisterly concern turns to cold fear when a sniper sets his deadly sights on the local shapeshifting population. Sookie has until the next full moon to find out who's behind the attacks, unless the killer decides to find her first...

She's still on the outs with her former lover Bill, her first love. She also has to contend with Eric after his little bout of memory loss after the last book. There's also Were politics a plenty in Dead As A Doornail! We see more of Alcide and Sam, plus Sookie's rascal of a brother Jason Stackhouse.

I enjoyed this book, I especially liked seeing more of Sam and Alcide (who tend to be among my favourite characters). But it did take me a long time to get through the book -- I think because the plot was a little unfocused, and didn't involve anything new about the characters I care about. I liked Living Dead in Dallas so much because it revealed many new things about Sookies world, Sookie herself and Bill. This novel however, whilst enjoyable and added a little more worldbuilding, it didn't really tell me anything new about the characters.

I enjoyed the humour and the friendship between Sookie and Sam (romance for them is on the backburner at the moment), and it was interesting to see how Sookie dealt with the consequences of what happened with Debbie Pelt in the previous book. Hopefully the next one will be a little more about the charcaters I love than this huge cast of newbies that are less interesting.
VINE VOICEon 16 June 2010
Dead as a Doornail is the fifth book in The Southern Vampire Mysteries. If you haven't read the other four, then don't continue reading this review because it will inevitably contain spoilers!

This novel begins dealing with the fall-out from the last one. Sookie's brother, Jason, is about to turn into a were-panther for the first time after being turned against his will. Sookie, naturally, doesn't have a problem with that as many of her friends and associates are supernatural beings. Jason's condition isn't general knowledge and the Stackhouses are dealing with it in their own way. After Jason's first experience, Sookie relaxes because it seems that her brother has come to terms with what he is and is dealing with it.

Trouble is, there's clearly someone out there who isn't. A sniper has set his or her sights on the local shifter population, which puts a great deal of Sookie's closest friends in danger. Naturally, Sookie wants to find the culprit to avoid anyone else getting hurt. Adding extra pressure is the fact that some of Jason's were-brethren believe that he hasn't come to terms with what has happened to him, and he is in fact the shooter, getting revenge. Sookie worries that Jason will be set upon and killed at the next full moon. So that gives her a few short weeks to find out who's responsible. The clock's ticking...

By the time you've got to this point in the series, I'm sure you don't need me to tell you there's no way you'll be able to stop now. Despite the 'mini-missions' which seem to occur in each novel, the series as a whole has some storylines which are ongoing. The characters are so lovable that you just have to find out what happens next. Will they get a happy ending? Who knows... there's a long way to go...
on 7 November 2009
This is the fifth installment of the Sookie Stackhouse series and trust me; it is probably one of the best in the series so far for me. The story picks up from what Charlaine left off in the previous book. Jason successfully incorporates his new life as a two-natured werepather. Just when everything seems to be going fine, shootings begins in the area and unknown to the police, all the victims are shape shifters. Sookie has to take the matter in her hands when her friend Calvin Norris from Hotshot and her boss Sam both get shot, and her brother becomes a suspect among the shape shifter community as he was turned against his will.

As a favor, Eric lends one of his bartenders Charles Twinning to Sam while he recovers from the accident. After the issue with the bar is settled, Sookie finds herself in another series of troubles before making any progress of clearing her brother's name.

Colonel Flood, the pack master of Shreveport, has passed away and Alcide gets her involved into the werewolves politics as his dad is bidding on becoming the new leader. On the other hand, private detectives sent by Debbie's family have come to Bon Temps to investigate her disappearance and Sookie is on top of their list of people to visit. However, the worst of all is that Sookie's house gets burnt down in the middle of the night and she barely manages to escape with the help of Claudine and Charles.

And to be even more unlucky, Sookie becomes a victim of the shooting but fortunately, she is only badly hurt. She has to put everything on hold except from helping Tara, with the assistance of Eric-Tara's been passed around two vampires and been abused by her vampire lovers. When she recovers, she and Sam set off to investigate and they finally find out who's been shooting the shifters in the area. However, there is an extra twist to the story. Though the shooter is caught, the assassin who's been trying to kill Sookie is still around and Sookie comes face-to-face with him. With the help of the gang at Merlotte, Sookie is saved.

The multiple storylines going at the same time makes it an enjoyable read. Charlaine also answers some of the questions I have from previous books. For example, back in book 1, we know Eric stacked Long Shadow. In human sense, if you kill somebody, you have to face the consequences. In this book, we know what price Eric has to pay for that. We also know a bit more about Tara-she's been put in the background in previous books. Charlaine also introduces some new characters such as Claude (Claudine's brother); Quinn and we also get to know more about the politics of the werewolves community. Overall, it has a good mix of all supernatural creatures in Sookie's world, not just vampires. There are many surprises in the story. For example, the way that the story is laid out, the sniper and the one who burnt down Sookie's house both turned out to be people that you would never have guessed.

Now, let me move on to Sookie's love life and she is indeed not short of opportunities and let me elaborate each potential one.

Alcide asks her to go and live with him in the beginning of the story which I am quite happy about. I do think Alcide is a suitable guy for him. However, he gets Sookie involved in the pack master contest where his father is also a candidate, as he hopes to use her ability to increase the chance for his dad to win, which did not turn out the way he preferred. I think in the end he kind of "blames her" which is not nice.

Sam still cares about Sookie as always. And since he gets shot in this book which makes him more vulnerable and they even kiss in the book. However, dating your boss is not a very good idea!!!

Calvin Norris, another guy who is not well in this book, is still very much interested in Sookie but his reason, I think is a bit weird. It seems all he wants is to have babies with her to "improve" the gene pool for his community-that just sounds a bit odd.

Quinn, a new shapeshifter introduced in this book shares a special moment with Sookie during the pack master contest. There is some kind of attraction between the two and we will see what will happen in the next book.

Bill is still the same apart from having a new girlfriend. And he brings her into Merlotte a couple of times-that sounds like showing off for me. It seems he still has feelings for her and refuses to move on. However, he cannot undo the damage he caused. He still wants to be there as part of Sookie's life and that's just annoying.

Eric has returned back to himself but I was really surprised that Sookie just spills the beans!! She told him "everything" of the time he was under the curse, including the fact that he has said he would give up everything to be with Sookie!! Well, this is one of the moments I would love to see on the TV series-just to see Eric's face!! Eric is very confused in this book and he's been giving wrong signals. On one hand, he does care about her but on the other hand, his pride makes him do the opposite.

Well, so far, no one in particular stands a good chance. We just have to see what the next book unfolds.

Lastly, but not the least, Charlaine put in a lot of humor in the story and let me give a few examples:

* Claude and Claudine and Dixon and Dixie as the names of the twin brother and sister
* In page 114, you will see the title of the book being used
* Charles, the ex-pirate vampire (with an eye patch) somehow reminds me of Captain Jack Sparrow from Pirates of Caribbean
* We are introduced to Claude, Claudine's brother. Sookie describes him as having fair feature with surgically altered eyes so that they are no longer pointed. Somehow he reminds me of the "elves"
* The whole chapter of Eric visiting Sookie is her flat and their encounter with Mickey, Tara's abusive vampire lover is worth a second read. There are many funny comments and moments in this chapter (such as Eric's outfit, Eric speaking of Americanism, Sookie's fantasy) and I could not stop myself from laughing.