on 23 December 2010
I had high hopes for this book, I placed my order and saved it until the weekend before Christmas to read and was bitterly and utterly dissapointed. The reasons for this are, first of all, (in my opinion), it just isn't funny, I was expecting a tongue in cheek spoof of A Christmas Carol and got a cheesy, half-baked, short story with a poor narrative, even poorer characters and jokes that missed the mark everytime. I read all the way through the book and found absolutely no redeeming features, I would recommend avoiding this if you are looking for something funny as for me I found it dissapointing and not worth the money.
3 people found this helpful
on 7 April 2016
Very funny, and a humorous new take on an old classic!
|0Comment|Report abuse
I, like another reviewer, love Christmas and I love Zombies so I thought this would be my cup of tea.

I wanted to love it, I gave it every chance to impress me but I HATE the writer. This "book" is clearly the result of a massive mix up at the printers. It reads like a first draft, not a finished book.

Adam Roberts takes full paragraphs to explain stupid little inner thoughts about which word is the correct one to fit the purpose intended.

This 12 year old child named "Adam" has completely ruined what could have been a fantastic idea...

For shame...

Avoid at all costs.
6 people found this helpful
on 9 December 2009
This book is brilliant!!! Written in a mock Dickensian style it never loses pace and keeps you laughing and gripped throughout. We finished it in 3 days it was so good. Definitely has become a pre-christmas staple read already; if Romero read Boz then you are somewhere close...

Modern. Pacy. Comedic. It is a MUST READ for fans of the zombie genre and irreverant pastiches of the classics everywhere...
VINE VOICEon 1 November 2009
With the Christmas season once again beating its way towards you (and lets face it, the decorations are fighting against the Halloween decorations already) then you probably want to get hold a certain type of minty sweet and shut yourself away before we even hit December. So what can you do?

Quite simply get your mits on this tale as Adam Roberts brings it bang up to date with the added touch of Zombies. Turkey is off the menu and brains are what every good zombie wants in his stocking (whether there is a foot still in it or not.) Add to the mix the typical humour you expect from Adam, a cast of unforgettable characters and a certain little miscreant we've all wanted to off for years and you've got the makings of a great showdown. A little light hearted joy for the urban fantasy reader in the build up to that time of year and one that will never allow you to look at the Christmas feast the same way again.
3 people found this helpful