on 26 May 2001
This is the first in a trilogy. The quality of the writing is up to Nora Roberts usual standard and I enjoyed meeting the Gallaghers - a very interesting family. I was also particularly drawn to the complex character of Jude Frances Murray who I regard as the heroine of the book. I was fascinated to see how she changed during the course of the story and came to believe in the ghosts of Lady Gwen and the Fairy Prince. I am looking forward to reading the next two books in the series. Unfortunately, I do not know what they are called!! If anyone out there knows the titles (if published) I would be grateful for details.
Pat Moore
VINE VOICEon 13 February 2007
This is the first in a trilogy set in Ireland and focussing on the Gallagher Family - Aiden, Shawn and Darcy.

When Jude Murray came to spend 6 months in Ireland in the little cottage belonging to her late Aunt, she wanted to find herself after a stressful period of time in her home town of Chicago, and write a psychology paper about myths and legends and how they fit into modern life. What she wasn't looking for is a good looking, smooth spoken Irish man by the name of Aiden Gallagher. But, as with most Nora Roberts stories, one thing leads to another and ... you probably know the rest. However, the way the story unfolds had me enthralled. I loved this story even though the ending was always fairly predictable from the start, but I really enjoy the way that Roberts lets her stories unfurl in such a way that the reader can almost be there themself. For me, if Jude didn't want Aiden - I'd definitely have him!!
on 17 July 2014
I have read another of Nora Roberts' trilogies (three sisters island) and loved that. Reading Jewels of the Sun, I started to recognise the formulae. There's nothing wrong with that--I'm very happy with a well-written romance-with-a-bit-of-magic set-up. It's just that in this case I wasn't entranced by the setting or the characters. They were all perfectly lovely and readable, but not truly engaging. And any tension there was seemed ... not tense.

This is nothing to do with Ms Roberts as a writer, but I must also say that the standard of layout and editing in the Kindle version I bought was appalling. The publisher needs to get its act together, because this is not a cheap Kindle buy.
on 11 November 2014
I love this author and I have very nearly read all the books not just in this series but all series written.

She is an excellent author, I love the story lines, and I love that everything is in 3's I love a series of books and with a triology you have that without having to many books to read to finish off a series.

Perfect thing to take away with you and read by the pool!
Jewels of the Sun is the first of the Ardmore Gallaghers series by Nora Roberts. When psychology lecturer Jude Frances Murray feels herself heading towards a breakdown from the stress of her job and life in Chicago, she decides to spend six months in the cottage in Ardmore, Ireland, where her Grandma grew up. It will be an opportunity to research her paper about Irish mythology and legend, a subject that has fascinated her since her Grandma's storytelling during Jude's childhood. Aiden Gallagher's youthful rambles are over, and he's now settled down to life in charge of the family pub in Ardmore. Jude goes to the pub looking for storytellers: she finds Aiden and his sister Darcy, his brother, Shawn and their friend, Brenna. Escaping her failed marriage and her failure as a teacher, the conservative Jude comes looking for solitude, trying to find herself: instead, she finds the sort of companionship she never had at home, laughter, foolishness and romance. And, while she's not looking for marriage, it seems to be looking for her. This is a sweet romance with some appealing characters. In the dialogue, you can hear that Irish lilt. Some enchanting Irish myths and legends are intertwined with the plot, which starts out looking rather predictable, but there are a few twists to keep it interesting. Roberts also sets the foundation for the next two books in the series in this instalment. A very entertaining read.
on 30 July 2001
This is the first book I have read by Nora Roberts but it will not be the last. Ms. Roberts writes with such passion and conviction that one can't help but want such a place with such people to exist. If you are a first time Roberts' reader, I suggest you start with this book.
on 3 August 2013
Part one of a trilogy. Not only does Nora Roberts tell a fantastic story, you learn about the area where the book is set. I always buy her books as soon as they are released. After reading this one could not wait for the second to appear.
on 12 May 2015
A love come ghost story, part one. I loved reading it, loved the idea of the ghosts waiting for generations for the right lovers to come along. You can't read this one without reading the other two, so be warned.
on 22 March 2009
I always enjoy reading Nora Roberts' books and especially the trilogies, where she is able to develop the characters and focus particularly on one or two in each book. As usual, I wasn't disappointed by this, the first of the Irish Trilogy. Nora Roberts is able to make the reader completely believe in faeries communicating with humans and even being able to influence their lives. There is a brilliant balance between the tight village life and the wider background of the American visitor and, of course, a good sprinkling of love and lust (always very tasteful, of course!). Very good as a stand-alone read but even better read as part of the trilogy. Enjoy!!
on 10 February 2000
I like Nora Roberts books, even when she starts a series. In every series there's a feel of a seperate story with each book and yet they are all so interlinked through the closeness of each family. The Gallager's are quite a family to put it mildly. Even if they feel a little too stereotypical Irish at times, it just adds to it. Jewels of the Suns is melodious and wonderful, with more then one story that can catch your heart and make you dream.