on 26 October 2007
This book is very engaging and definitely worth reading. Our main protagonist Tavi has got what he dreamed of, a place at the capital city's academy - and yet as is nearly always the case in life, it's not as rosy a situation as he could have hoped for, and once again danger is looming on the horizon (keeping in mind that 2 years had passed since the first book, it's not that improbable) Jim Butcher once again manages to completely suck you into the world he has created (more original than many other fantasy worlds) using a form of magic that is original and very satisfying to read about.

This book works best if you consider it the second instalment of a larger story, Jim Butcher has very carefully cultivated some (initially seemingly unimportant) plot lines that develop beautifully as the series continues.

I stumbled upon this book (and series) because of Jim Butcher's Dresden Files, which I also enjoyed a lot.
And although the Dresden Files series are unquestionably the better known series (no wonder as it was started earlier and has been adapted into a T.V show), I have to say that it's this series that really makes him stand out as an author for me.

I'm completely and utterly addicted to this series, I read the first and second books in one sitting(thank God for e-books otherwise I would have had to wait), stopping only for lunch and supper - reading long into the night, and then read the third book the day after.

Please read these books - they seem painfully unappreciated, especially considering how good they are!
on 30 November 2010
Academ's Fury by Jim Butcher is the second novel in the Codex Alera sequence, featuring Tavi, a young man who has been taken under the wing of the First Lord of Alera and provided with sponsorship so that he can train as a Cursor. In the course of this book, the Alerans discover the threat of the Vord, a race of shapeshifters governed by queens who aim to destroy all life in Alera. Tavi discovers that his lack of furycrafting (the ability to manipulate natural forces) is a boon in the fight against the Vord, and he steps to the fore to try and push them back.

Ugh, well, that summary took me around twenty minutes to write. Strikes me I don't want to be writing this review. Not because I didn't enjoy the book - in fact, I romped through it and immediately picked up the third book in the series. I like my high fantasy heroism, but this novel prompted me to ask the question on Twitter: "Should I write a review of individual books in a series or just provide a wrap up of the entire series?" Fact is, this review will read much like the first in the series (which can be found here).

Academ's Fury is heavier on the political intrigue and moves much of the action to the city of Alera. There is more romance and more heroism. But there is also a greater feeling of D&D to this one - it feels like a mission written by a games master for a group of role players. For instance, the Vord came mostly out of nowhere - we sort of saw them in the first novel, but they were just called the croach or wax spiders. Suddenly in this book, they are the Vord and they have the capability of destroying all life. The fact that the Marat (eternal foes of the Vord) didn't recognise the Vord in the first novel is explained away glibly by the fact that they are shapeshifters and therefore unrecognisable. I found all of this completely unsatisfying.

The characterisation is again the greatest part of Jim Butcher's writing. I loved the gentle romance between Amara and Bernard, and Kitai the Marat maiden is inspired - a sort of blend of Aviendha from the Wheel of Time series and Arya from A Song of Ice and Fire. Tavi is a very likeable hero indeed.

But with that said, this novel felt more "empty" than the first. The cliches were definitely cliches, rather than fantasy tropes used well. Kid with lack of powers finds a way to defeat his enemies; woman decides to work with the enemy faction to protect her family, even though she despises them; heroes save the day in the end. It felt very light and, although I'm not looking for gritty, I wanted more depth than this.

Ha, I've just discovered why I should be writing this review - in the process of writing it, I've found out that I actually didn't like it as much as Furies of Calderon, which opened the series. I still enjoyed a great deal about it - the furycrafting, the female characters (who are as gutsy, sly and interesting as the men), the Marat race and the Canin (which sort of remind me of the jackal-headed warriors from Ancient Egypt). Speaking of that, I also liked the soft world-building which borrows greatly from ancient civilisations such as the Romans in the form of legionares. But I struggled against the easy nature of it - the fact that I knew people wouldn't die, the fact that everyone essential would be rescued from peril in the nick of time. There was little tension or drama due to this, and therefore Academ's Fury had little impact.

Consider this a mixed review. If you read and enjoy Furies of Calderon, you will end up reading this book. It is doubtful, however, that you will be able to remember many individual details soon after the reading process. (And my conclusion is that I always need to write reviews in order to make sense of how I really feel about a book!)
on 21 February 2010
I STILL can't believe that the second one is better than the first one!!!
The story just keeps on getting more complex and you find yourself gripping the book when you think something is going to be revealed but it doesn't but when that happens it doesn't leave you dissapointed, it only makes you thirsty for more!!!
The second one is two years after the first one and Tavi is 17 and he is now at the academy. Even with his disadvantage he is still the greatest in everything he tries. Everything seems perfect, but is it...
What monster has followed Tavi...
Why does he crave Kitai's company more than others...
Will he lose everyone he's every loved...
What is his "aunt's" past...5 STARS ISN'T ENOUGH!!THERE SHOULD BE 6,7,8!!!!!
If you haven't read the first one then go to this link-Furies of Calderon: Codex Alera 01 (Codex Alera 1)
on 15 December 2015
Read one then downloaded and read the next... then downloaded and read the next... then downloaded and read the next... etc.
I was supposed to be on holiday seeing the sights of Italy - So be warned, addictive and can get you in trouble!
on 26 March 2012
Book 2 begins with the First Lord of Alera, Gaius Sextus, struggling to control the powerful High Lords and our hero Tavi as a student of Alera Imperial's great Academy,as a reward for previous loyalty.Tavi also serves as Gaius's page within the book. Just as well as thing turn out.

Jim Butcher's characters are wonderful whether you love them or hate them, you feel for them. Throughout the book you want to know more about them, their characters often surprising in the end.

His style of weaving a number of stories together is also effortless.
A really good read.

I am now going to download book 3 to see where we go to from here..
on 29 December 2013
I couldn't stop reading this wonderful slice of Fantasy. If you liked the first book in this series, get this one. If you like Fantasy or any derivatives, get the previous book in this series, then this one.
on 29 December 2012
All the other reviews for the above book give you a good idea of the content. My review however is both a warning to potential buyers of the kindle book and a complaint to whoever put the ebook together.

This book has many errors but the biggest one that detracts from enjoyment of the book is that each paragraph is separated by double to triple spaces. On the face of it some might say no big deal but then you miss out important scene changes etc that are normally separated by a space to denote the transition. This is masked by the errors in the ebook and so your enjoyment is diminished.

Beware ebook buyers. And Amazon: pull your finger out and try improve the quality of the product you sell. Talk to the publishers for pete's sake!
on 2 March 2014
Young Tavi is away from home and in training to be a Cursor where he daily has to use just his agile imagination, (no special abilities like the bullies and establishment) to get out of tricky situations, to save the Capital and the people he cares about.
As always Jim Butcher fills his stories with exciting content peopled by a really wonderful and engaging supporting cast - every character is fully formed, so that we know and care about how they survive the trials he presents them with.
A fabulous read - that makes you preorder volume 3!
on 17 February 2015
I have read and re read this book many times since it first was published. I love it more and more every time I read it. I strongly recommend this and any other book by Jim butcher. Butcher crafts wonderful worlds with a style and humour that will drag you in and by gosh you'll never want to leave.
on 4 January 2007
I love Jim Butchers other series the dresden files. Although i thought i wouldn't like his next series Codex Alera, as it was in third person.

I will admit that i was wrong and the first two books gripped me into a fantasy that tells the tales of not only the "goodies" but also the "badies". I was upset of Tavi still not maturing into a crafter himself, but the third person view makes light of it by telling the views of the other characters in the book.

I fully recomend this book to anyone looking for a great read, and is a fan of fantasy.