on 23 September 2017
I read several AMS books over a decade ago and I'd forgotten how charming and enjoyable they are. He creates vivid characters, uses gentle but perceptive skewering of human fallibility and dusts the whole with a sprinkling of philosophical musing and cultural reference.
on 17 May 2017
Having read some of the Number One Ladies Detective Agency books by this author I found his book Courderoy Mansion which led me to this book. He is very astute people watcher and once started reading I found a
on 18 May 2017
best read ever. Had me laughing, could not put it down and have bought all the series
on 9 April 2017
Love Alexander McCall's books
on 9 March 2017
These amazing vignettes in the hands of such a writer are at times poignant, erudite and ultimately hilarious. The last chapter made me laugh out loud. Very loud.
on 26 April 2017
Very good read.i have bought several more of the series and am enjoying the easy reading, good storyline.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 21 August 2008
This is gentle satire of Edinburgh middle-class Edinburgh life and being born and bred in the city I really enjoyed all the familiar landmarks and streets as well as the depictions of the foibles and prejudices of residents. The characters really come to life in the interweaving of the events that bring them together. There are some very funny scenes, especially concerning the child prodigy, Bertie. I'm looking forward to reading the follow-up books in the series to see what happens to them all.
on 6 October 2017
The first I have read in this series and I am enjoying it very much
on 12 May 2017
Top class series never fails thanks.
on 1 June 2017