Customer reviews

The Road to Gavle
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 15 December 2009
As an ardent Tina Dico fan, I have to admit to being more than a little biased in my reviews of her work.
This latest (and supposedly fill-in album) is along the lines of her previous albums but without the intimate and intricate lyrics of the Trilogy.
Another 'superb on the ear' album from one of the best (and most under-rated) female vocalists and far superior to the recent feted Norah Jones 'The Fall'.
Her voice varies on each track demonstrating her vocal ability and even though this is only the lead in to a more focused album in 2010 there is nothing lost in the lyrics and the music.
If you like her - take my advice and get it.
If she is 'new' to you - give it a whirl and then (hopefully) pick up some of the back catalogue.
If only she would return for a tour in the next few months.
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 22 February 2010
My introduction to the world of Tina Dico came when
I heard the song 'Quarter To Forever' from her 2008
album 'A Beginning, A Detour, An Open Ending'.
It is a wonderful composition and performance every
bit as good as anything the young Joni Mitchell
gave us way-back-when. She really is that good.

Her new album 'The Road To Gavle' was born out of writing
the soundtrack for Nikolaj Steen's 2009 film 'Oldboys',
a bitter-sweet tale of a man re-defining himself as
something more than forgetable.

Ms Dico knows just what to do to make a melody stick
in our minds and there are many fine examples here.

Her voice is strong, clear and entirely unaffected.

'In Love and War' demonstrates both her ability to bring
a good tune to life and her winning way with harmony.
The gently understated brass arrangement is perfectly conceived.

The shuffling country rhythm of 'Rebel Song' frames a
humourous series of reflections on love and indifference.

'Swedish Skies' is a beautifully melancholic composition
not unlike some of the best that the estimable Joan Wasser
has produced.

'Private Party' is a perfectly pleasant slice of summery pop
enhanced, once again, by a witty brass arrangement and
consumately executed harmonies.

Ms Dico is at her best in the soulful number 'Love All Around'.
She pulls out all the stops to deliver the album's finest
vocal performance by a mile. Short but very, very sweet.

Final track 'River Of What's Been', with its luminous string
section, brings the album to a sad but uplifting conclusion.

'The Road To Gavle' is an understated gem of an album by
a hugely talented artist who just gets better and better.

Recommended.
on 30 January 2010
For all Tina Dico's fans, this is a beautifully written album that signs the return to her motherland Denmark, after almost a decade spent in London. Soft and mellow, you will love it all: she's just got so good at writing new music in such a poignant style that I already look forward to what's next. Love "Goldhawk Road" and "Swedish Skies", but "All I See" remains my favorite - I actually prefer this version than the one in "A Beginning, A Detour, An Open Ending".
on 22 February 2010
The CD purchased was ok, not the actual album I was looking for. Bought the wrong album, it was Count to Ten album I was actually wanted. I also ordered Jack Savoretti's album Harder Then This at the same time yet I am still waiting to received that. I have informed Amazon of this but bacuase the both CD was purchased on the same day, they have sent me another The Road to Gayle.. that's really annoying. I now have to re-send it this back and wait for the right CD to arrive. Maybe buying items on this site is not as reliable as I thought it would be. Next time HMV here I come, at least I will get what I really wanted.