on 25 March 2010
I wanted a Colour Printer with Laser quality for home use with Wifi built in so that I could put the printer into another room without additional hardware or needing a cable network. Although the specs on this looked good, I hesitated before buying the printer because I read a review that stated the wifi would not work well. I needen't have worried. I configured the printer with a fixed IP using the cable connection and added it to the allowed wireless devices on the wifi router. Now as soon as it is powered up the printer links to the network router which is located on a different level and about 15 - 20m horizontally away from the wifi network router without any problem.

Printouts seem quick even from cold and have the desired quality, the resolution appears as good with the LED array as for a normal Laser. Although the footprint is typical for an Office Laser Printer, the height of the printer is quite a low profile and so it is not too obtrusive. The printer goes into sleep mode when not in use and then is completely silent.
22 Comments| 39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 December 2010
I have had a Brother B&W Laser printer for some years now and it has been a great work-horse and totally reliable. So, when it finally cam time to replace it, I looked at alternatives on Amazon. The Brother HL3070CW looked impressive in specification and from my previous good experience with a Brother printer I felt confident that I could rely on it to 'do what it said on the can'. I did notice some reviews on Amazon that said the Wireless option was hard to set up - but I felt confident that I could sort out any networking issues. The printer was shipped in very sturdy (very big!) packing and came with very comprehensive instructions. It was really easy to load the toner cartridges (be careful to follow the instructions and open them carefully), loaded some paper and printed a test sheet - no problems! Having seen some adverse comments about ease of setup of wireless, I took this next part steadily. I can see how easy it would be to make a mistake over this since although the spirit of the instructions is correct, some of the detail is wrong. I set it up totally according to the instructions - and nothing worked! However, I noticed that some of the messages etc on the printer didn't 100% tie up with what the documentation said . . so I performed a factory reset on the printer (if you have any issues, download the full manual and that will give you all the options, very clearly stated) and tried again. This time I followed the instructions carefully, but I found that the trick was that when I didn't get the expected result/response from the printer it was because it was necessary to press the 'enter' ('OK') key to move onto the next step. After that everything worked fine and setting up the networking was easy - and everything burst into life.

Good points:
- EXCELLENT print quality, even at 'default' quality (great result and uses less toner!)
- I love the auto power-down into 'sleep' mode after a period of inactivity - plus the fast start-up when a job is sent to the printer

Bad points:
-Haven't found any (the footprint is slightly larger than my previous Brother B&W printer but it does have 4 toner cartridges inside - and the results more than justify the extra few inches of space)

Overall:
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
on 11 November 2012
I was impressed with how much printer you get for your £120 these days: the box was huge, although the printer itself was reasonably compact and quite attractive to look at.
There are a number of possible methods of setting up this device. If your router supports SecureEasySetup, Wi-Fi Protected setup, or AOSS, it can be configured without a cable. However, the simplest method is to temporarily connect the printer to a computer via a USB cable (not supplied) and then run the utility on the CD-ROM.
This was my first colour laser printer, so I can only compare it to the various monochrome lasers and colour inkjets I have owned. The quality for text is basically the same as with any other laser printer, but I was far less impressed when I tried to print photos--colour fidelity was worse than I was expecting. Obviously, this printer is no substitute for an inkjet for photo printing; I wasn't expecting it to be, but I was still underwhelmed.
One other gripe is that no hard copy of the user guide is supplied--only a pdf on the CD-ROM. I spent ages looking for it, thinking I had accidentally thrown it out, before realising there was none.
on 27 March 2010
I've had no problems with the printer and the print quality is very good. Wireless is very convenient and I've had enough of inkjet printers drying up
on 3 January 2013
This is a good printer don't get me wrong however it does have a few issues. Below I will tell you my positives about it and negatives. I will also talk about the few issues I have with it.

POSITIVES:
- Affordable for a colour WIFI laser printer.
- Cheap to run if you refill the toners yourself.
- Long life span.
- Quick printing.
- Prints in high quality very well.
- Booting time is extremely quick.
- Has a manual duplex which is very handy.
- Smart design.
- Light up display, so handy in the dark.
- High capacity tray for a lot of paper.
- Cooling fans do a very good job.

NEGATIVES:
- Official toners are expensive.

ISSUES I HAVE HAD:
- Brother have had to come out to this printer several times to attempt to set up the WIFI on it. For some reason which still hasn't been resolved the WIFI just won't work. You can connect to it via WIFI from all computers in the building for a few hours or maybe a couple of days if your really lucky and then it just disconnects. No one knows what the issue is even my uncle who knows a lot about technology. Now the likelihood is there's a problem with the one printer, others probably won't have this issue.

The positives certainly outweigh the negatives. It is a very good printer and perfect for everyday use.

I am rating it 4/5
on 4 September 2010
This printer(HL-3070CW) is the bees knees so far as small office/home printing is concerned.It may not be the quickest but quality and ease of use are both excellent. All you want from a small quality printer and only for about £200!!! Great.
on 10 September 2010
A very quick review.

The printer itself is great, much higher quality than the previous one we used in the office. One slight regular problem is that there is some difficulty with the wireless networking aspect in that it needs regular 'restarts' (turning it off an on) at the start of each day and one of my colleagues needs to re-install the drivers each day. Maybe this is because of our router and his computer (Win7).
on 30 November 2011
I have had this printer for just over a year now and my only niggle is that it will not carry on printing once a toner runs out. The printer seems really solid in terms of build quality and its a substantial weight compared to other products on the market.
The wireless software was easy to set up through my router but when I moved one of my PC 's on my home network I changed it so that it was hard wired to my main PC yet was still able to print off my laptop.
The toner cartridges are expensive so next time I intend to have them filled locally now that I have a spare set.Brother HL3070CW Compact High Speed Wireless Colour LED Printer

The issue of expensive replacement cartridges is not unique to Brother products so it seems unfair to moan about this too much especially as there are plenty of firms out there who will do re-fills.
on 11 March 2013
I had reservations about this printer as I had read a couple of negative reviews.

But....I think it's a great printer. It did however encounter one glitch when it became off line for wireless use as it had somehow of its own accord changed its IP address. This however can be found by pressing buttons on the front and I just had to re-tell the computers linked to it, its new IP address.

However after doing this, the following day it reverted back to the IP address it had been originally when installed!! But this has not been a problem since and it has worked like a dream with no such glitches.

I have it set to 'toner save mode'. With this setting I got 800 black and white copies out of the first cartridge as supplied by the manufacturer at half full (standard practice for cartridges packed with a new printer), even though the quoted quantity was that I would get up to 500.....so very pleased with this......and the colour cartridges have nowhere near run out yet. With the new full ones I think it is expected to do up to 1200 b&w copies, so with toner saving mode it should last for ages.

The warning that the toner cartridge was getting low was shown for ages before becoming empty, giving you lots of time to source, purchase and receive a new cartridge ready to install....which was really usefull

Once warmed up and starting to print the printer is very quick....it goes into power saving mode when not used which is great to save on the electric, but takes a second or two to spring into action when it is working from powered down mode.

Installation was really easy with no problems with the installation disc supplied.....much better than any Epson printers I have had, not least they were of course ink jets which were costing a fortune to use in a small business environment.....and I always had problems with any wireless settings with Epson, but not so with the Brother!

I have used a compatable cartridge to replace the black and this prints with no problems or headaches....I can't tell you the problems I have had with compatable epson ink jet cartridges.....but the brother just worked.....I was amazed.

It is proving to be a reliable work horse that just sits there doing its job and not causing any problems, unlike my previous Epson inkjets, that either needed ink, paper, unjamming or sorting because of a dislike to a cartridge.......so really really pleased with the purchase.
on 15 June 2011
As with others I had some problems with setting this up. Once I worked it all out everything became fine with the two cabled and one wireless computers in our setup. This is a good machine and a good price for a led printer.