TOP 100 REVIEWERon 29 October 2017
This is a wonderful book; well formatted for access on a tablet or phone and packed with recipes. If you've never cooked a Chinese dish before, this would be an excellent starter. Nothing very complicated, the recipes are well set out with timings and tips and there's an excellent section at the front with advice on utensils, their care, oil temp, type of oil etc. Equally, if you're a dab hand at Chinese cooking, there's still plenty of inspiration in this collection.

I find the authors enthusiasm infectious; I've seen her on TV and she's one of the few cooks who makes me want to get up and cook immediately. The table of contents is interactive, so it's easy to look up recipes for pork, soups and starters, fish, vegetarian etc using the 'go to' function. There's a wonderful section 'Chings Menus' with menus for parties or larger numbers and a useful chapter on basic store cupboard ingredients. These recipes make the best use of fresh, healthy food, cooked at home and far better than a take away. I love this book and I'll be looking for more, probably in hardback.
8 people found this helpful
on 30 September 2017
On Kindle this book is almost unusable. Links don't work, page numbers are inaccurate making it unusable. A waste of money.
7 people found this helpful
on 16 March 2018
Purchased the book as we saw her programme on The Food Network. Some great easy meals to choose from and the family love chinese food, so this is a great addition to have. Great looking pictures and very easy simple directions to follow. A great selection of recipes from Soups to fish, poultry and other meats that are quick and simple to make and create.
One person found this helpful
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 1 June 2012
For health reasons, I have recently changed my eating habits and invested in a couple of cookbooks this one and River Cottage Veg Every Day! (River Cottage Every Day), both of them excellent.

The first recipe I tried from this book was the hot and sour soup and I have to say, it was incredible! I have never made it before. I always get it from the takeaway and most of the time it is good, sometimes disappointing but this turned out absolutely perfect!! I was amazed, it was so simple to make, ready within half an hour and tasted superb (even if I do say so myself). I have since tried 4 other main dish recipes and every one has turned out, not only edible but also restaurant standard even the egg fried rice, which I have tried in the past but it has never tasted right.

My only real previous experience was cooking a 5 course chinese dinner for a dinner party 20 years ago from a book by Ken Hom and while the results were great, I spent the entire time in the kitchen and very little time sat at the table eating. From that I had decided that Chinese cooking takes too much effort and time but after using this book, my attitude has changed. I even went out and bought a new wok.

The only thing I would say is that a lot of recipes in this book are spicy (chillis are used a lot) I suspect Miss Huang comes from the Sichuan Province perhaps. Obviously you can make the dishes with less or more of the chilli content but just a warning. I, however, love spicy food so there are plenty of recipes in here to keep me happy. I just wish there had been a few more recipes which use tofu.

If you looking to try chinese food then this is a great book, every recipe really is easy and quick and almost foolproof.
5 people found this helpful
on 10 October 2017
Easy to follow and exciting food to make and enjoy. I got my wok out as soon as the book arrived. I heard Ching-He on a radio interview and fell in love with her enthusiasm and descriptions, the books live up to it.
2 people found this helpful
on 27 January 2011
I've always wanted to have a Chinese cook book and I am glad I picked out this one. The book is pleasant to touch, and all the recipes come attached with beautiful pictures that get you drooling. Ching also gives excellent advice to beginners on how to care for your wok, how to deep-fry and how to steam food. I for one have never deep-fried anything, but with the help of her tips I was able to do a perfect job with some deep-fried chicken!

Now, for the recipes... The titles such as "Exploding river prawns", "Spicy Sichuan aubergine" and "Crispy twice-cooked pork" sure make your mouth water, and are as delicious as they sound like. My ultimate favourite recipe is the "Fried sweet chilli chicken" which you must try - it is absolutely gorgeous! The recipes are divided into sections according to whether they are starters, beef, duck, pork, sides or vegetarian. There are also some really cool dessert options with an Asian twist and at the end there is an "Easy entertaining" sector with recipes popular in parties.

My only two gripes with the book are the time it takes to prepare the dishes and that some of the recipes are a bit fiddly. The preparation time I find is underestimated in the book, however, this may be more due to me being an inexperienced cook. Secondly, some of the recipes require a spooful or two of several different ingredients, some of which I find pretty useless to buy (e.g. yellow/black bean sauce) as you won't use them in anything else. I've usually just ignored these however, and it's been usually ok.
8 people found this helpful
on 6 March 2017
Very happy with the book. The recipes are easy to follow and quick to make, also they doesn't require too many ingredients.
3 people found this helpful
on 24 October 2017
Love the book. Will be slowly going through the recipes until I try them all. Have tried a couple already and I was shocked I cooked something that tasted so good!
One person found this helpful
on 14 March 2011
Ching's Chinese Food in Minutes
Ching-He Huang

Even though I have bought and tried a number of Chinese cookery books before, this is the one that has truly helped me to cook some authentic Chinese dishes. I am not a particularly experienced or an especially knowledgeable cook at all as I tend to give up once the instructions list become a bit lengthy or the ingredients complicated. With this book, however, Ching makes every thing easy and interesting to do. Each of the mostly red or white meat dishes, which takes 20 to 30 minutes to prepare, is presented in an easy -to - follow format of three to five short steps, while the food ingredients are readily available at local Chinese food shops.
I have been very encouraged by positive feedbacks from family and friends about some of the dishes I have cooked so far, and I am really pleased with this book.
3 people found this helpful
VINE VOICEon 25 March 2013
Lots of recipes here you'd love to try - I made the Taiwanese chicken rice yesterday and my husband said it was the best thing he'd eaten in a while - high praise indeed. I loved it too, not least because it was so unbelievably simple to make!
Remember to use untoasted sesame oil.

This book is even better than her Chinese Food Made Easy.

I tried the hot and sour soup and it was amazingly easy to make and tasted really authentic. This soup is what I fantasise about when I'm feeling under the weather, and long for a Chinese restaurant to supply a good version - no more, I can make it myself from now on! Have made it twice already this week.