Customer reviews

Running Blind / The Freedom Trap
Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£5.49

on 9 February 2017
Two gripping enthralling novels by Desmond Bagley contained in one volume.
These stories are excellent value: Running Blind involves a very exciting race across Iceland entwined with Cold War betrayals and copious adventures that ensure that this novel is a complete page turner!
I first became aware of the brilliance of D.B.when I watched the film 'The Macintosh Man' and found it was based on D.B.'s novel The Freedom Trap. The film was so exciting, fast paced, and contained so many unexpected twists and turns I was compelled to buy the novel.
It didn't disappoint. like R.B. novel this is another book I couldn't put down and was so good I was disappointed when it finished-thew sure sign of an excellent novel
on 28 August 2015
I was enthralled the first time I read 'Running Blind' with the blistering plot and stunning description of the scenery. Every bit as good as the best Ian Fleming Bond books. 45 years later, it hasn't lost anything to time & technology. This time I used Google Earth to follow the track of the action. Absolutely accurate and with so many pictures of the extraordinary, breathtaking scenery, it added another dimension of authenticity (3 pics visited in story, attached). If you have ever liked a good thriller, read this!
I immediately bought The Freedom Trap and am this minute as keen to get into that I I was first time around. I bought all of DB's books so I know I liked The Freedom Trap too!
review imagereview imagereview image
VINE VOICEon 30 June 2014
Having first read Desmond Bagleyin the 1970s, I was delighted to find that they have re-surfaced as Kindle books, and I enjoyed these two as much as ever. For a fast, riveting read, Bagley is hard to beat. Running Blind in set in Iceland (which the author apparently knows well), and is a fast-paced adventure. The Freedom Trap is very different, and raises a moral question at the beginning which is cleverly answered about a third of the way through. This novel is just as readable. Unlike other readers, I don't find that these novels have dated. True, our currency, the cost of living and the political climate have changed, but these are minor factors. The stories are as gripping as ever.

Four rather than five stars, as these are not great novels. But they are brilliant entertainment, and would make great holiday reading. At this price, who could ask for more?
on 20 July 2014
DB is a writer from the 70's so don't be too put off by the " dated " references......the stories ate still damn good.

Running Blind is just that, a man on a mission who begins to wonder who is friend or foe......set in the icy landscape of Iceland, with a whole different culture thrown in the mix, the story twists and turns leading slowly bur surely to a conclusion, but not neccessarly the one you might expexct

The Freedom Trap, a story of a prison break with a difference.....quite a difference......read on it's worth it.
on 29 April 2014
I enjoyed reading Desmond Bagley in the 1970's and was glad of the opportunity to read him again on kindle. Despite being written nearly 40 years ago it could almost be the present day - just ignore any monetary references when a £1000 was a lot of money. The books are still taut, tense thrillers.
Anyone liking adventure thrillers should enjoy his books. I have read all of them now and only wish he was still here to write more. Few can equal him.
on 1 August 2017
Its been some times time since I've read Desmond Bagley novels and I must say I've missed them!
Totally believable with wonderful characters and great plots.
The second novel in the above was quite riveting and I stayed awake till I'd finished.
on 28 April 2015
My two favourite DB books together. I love these books and have done for the last 40 years! The scenery in Iceland was so well described that I could recognise it when I watched the rare TV series made from the book (Running Blind). Maybe DB is a bit dated now but I think that it adds to the charm of the books. At the end of the day, a good story is a good story and this is a great story.
on 30 May 2014
In my younger days I was a great fan of both Hammond Innes and Alistair MacLean and read only one book by Desmond Bagley. It is good to have the opportunity to read more books by this author. To be honest I enjoyed Running Blind much more than The Freedom Trap. I couldn't warm to the Rearden chap at all, whereas the main charácter of the first book was more believable and the setting was more interesting.
on 21 September 2014
As much as I've both watched the TV Series & read Running Blind on several occasions, this kindle version had an absolute bonus with The Freedom Trap. Running Blind is still an enjoyable read but Freedom Trap, well talk about being lead down a garden path, it seemed a straight forward tale of a villain getting nicked then imprisoned & I have to admit that I nearly gave up when the story took off after his escape & things got murky. Nice use of the Slade character from the earlier book. Enjoyed both stories in the end.
on 11 July 2014
Two good middle-period Bagleys, with a common villain linking them. The first one has a bewildered and very competent British agent running around Iceland trying to work out why he is there. Lots of interesting local scenery. The second has a mainly British setting and concerns a prison escape.