Format: DVD|Change

on 27 June 2010
The first two series of 'Universe' were excellent. However, it's obvious the producers were stretched to find new subjects for a third series and they really failed to achieve the earlier high standards. Few episodes of this series are based on established scientific facts and knowledge but have wandered instead into the realm of science fiction. For example, one episode concentrates on proposed conditions on exoplanets and another on what alien life forms might inhabit those worlds. The episodes are accompanied by computer-generated images of alien worlds and possible alien life forms and, although they may entertain the average 10 or 12 year-old, they lost me. Another episode deals with the needs and practical problems surrounding future sex in space, accompanied by more CG effects and sniggering commentators. That says it all really! More entertainment for the kids!

I also found the drums and bass in the background of all episodes completely unnecessary and I was often struggling to hear the narration over the beat! After struggling through the first 30 minutes of most episodes, I found myself switching them off after wondering why I was watching.

No History Channel! I'm afraid you got this wrong. I would recommend the first two series of 'Universe' (despite their background beats!) but I can't recommend this third series to anyone. It's not very good at all.
on 19 December 2012
I am a fan of all of the universe series and this one was no exception. There is so much information to take on board but the way it is excecuted makes it simple to understand. Happy to recommend.
on 10 September 2013
Good for a bit of light entertainment. Seemed to be getting a bit less specialised in the later series, bit more "generalised" but still a good watch.
on 3 May 2014
I truly enjoyed this series. For me,it ticks all the boxes :great filming, educational and fun. I highly recommend this to anyone...
on 20 September 2014
This is a fab box set if your home educating kids, my 12 year old loves it, great!!!
on 26 June 2015
Season 3,4,and 5 all arrived together, on time and well packaged. Many thanks.
on 2 November 2011
Arrived well and no complaints. Overall process was smooth and the item arrived very quickly. Look forward to seeing the dvd.