on 12 August 2010
I enjoy listening to singer-songwriters lyrics, so a tribute album of covers sung entirely in French (which I can barely string together a sentence in) was not a particularly attractive to me!

I loved Martha Wainwright's first two albums, so with some trepidation I gave Sans Fusils, Ni Souliers, A Paris a Spotify audition. On the first listen one or two tracks stood out (L'Accordéoniste and Le Brun et le Blond), I then listened to it twice more paying it full attention. It then jumped into my Amazon basket (damn those pesky jumping CDs).

The thing is that Martha Wainwight's renditions are full of passion and she's obviously thoroughly enjoying singing every single song. This enthusiasm is utterly infectious and the language barrier becomes irrelevant!

A well deserved place in my CD collection.
on 19 October 2017
I have several of Martha's C.D.s this is interesting but not so Piaf like as I would have wished. But still cannot knock Martha for giving of her best,
just as her Brother they are an acquired taste I guess.
on 22 January 2015
Beautiful, timeless, heart breaking and full of passion....best enjoyed alone with a glass of pastis and an aching soul
on 27 January 2015
fabulous singer
on 6 September 2013
@wainbright brings a depth of feeling to these classic songs that is seldom heard with other Piaf covers. A wonderful collection. Saw the concert on BBC4 just wish I could get a DVD.
on 22 February 2014
This is a delicious record, it's as if these songs were designed to show off Martha's voice, pure pleasure. I'm afraid that since buying this our old Piaf albums haven't been played...
on 13 June 2011
If you love Edith Piaf you will love this cd. I saw and heard Martha on Sky Arts and was mesmerised by her performaance. Her voice is perfect and you will just want to play this cd over and over. She's as good as her brother Rufus!
on 23 February 2014
Excellent dvd - very exciting to listen to someone so good and talented. Piaf lives in this dvd. Martha Wainwright is wonderful
on 3 December 2012
A fantastic homage to Edith Piaf...in my opinion better...and that really is saying something.

Her voice has such range that it does justice to the legacy she is paying respect to.
on 18 December 2013
This is a really brilliant album from Martha Wainwright. She takes you to the café bars of Paris, evoking the spirit of Piaf in a very sensual way. Pull up a chair, relax, listen and just enjoy!