on 13 April 2010
I am in the process of archiving all my old photographs and negatives to disc. So far the Epson Perfection V600 has done everything I have asked it to do. The scanning of multiple images certainly helps as I can scan 5 or 6 pictures at one time. The scanning of negatives and slides also seems fine. The only thing I would like is a negative holder for 110 film. To date I cannot find fault and the ICE technology certainly improves very old black and white photographs. Quality of scanned images is better than I expected.
0Comment| 106 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 January 2013
Decided I needed to get a photoscanner to archive my 90 yr old fathers transparancy collection. Most reviews just added to my confusion and seemed like reading hifi reviews of years ago.I have always taken an interest in photography but wouldnt class my self as a keen amateur. To me the quality of the scans was important but so was cost , time to execute etc. I finally decided not to go with a pure film scanner like a plustek as I decided there was a benefit in also copying some old family prints and thought the ability to scan some family prints from cruises ,weddings and graduations would also be a worthwile benefit. So that meant a flatbed. Next what resolution ability was needed. The more I read I was convinced that prints would need 600dpi and film and transparancies for archive storage should be at 3000 or 4000 dpi. This would allow at least good quality 10 x 8 prints to be made if required. Next step was decide if ICE was required to remove scratches. I decided it was and this has proved a real winner in practice.I now wouldnt want a scanner without this ability.

So which model ?. I set budet of around £200 so a Epson v700 was out. The Epson V600 met my soec and budget plus it had good reviews.Finally what software would be provided. Silverfast seemed to be the benchmark but Epson manager seemed user-friendly and the inclusion of Adobe photoshop elements 9 clinched the deal for me.( worth about £80 to buy seperately.

In practice. I have concluded my requirements were sound, The scanner is delivering a 4 transparancy set scan at 3000 dpi with ICE dust and scratch removal in about 11 mins. Time to get a coffee once started. The jpegs print well at 10 x8 and obvioulsy look fine on my 46 inch tv where most viewing is done with the family. My only dislike is the transparancy holder that encougages finger marks on the plate. I also invested in a rocket air pump to blow away hairs etc. Overall I am very pleased with the V600 and now just need time to tackle the 8000 slide library.. and oh yes i do need a light box to help with sorting of keeper slides from the rest.
[[ASIN:B002TAA3MY Epson Perfection V600 High Resolution 6400 x 9600 dpi Scanner]
on 6 February 2011
I have just bought one of these to replace my old Perfection 3200. The 3200 was a really good scanner but when I upgraded to Win7 64bit the Epson scanning software was not compatible. Epson provided a driver but could not offer an upgraded software package. So for me, the scanner was rendered useless. I tried various third party scanning software such as Vu-Scan and Laser Soft but there really is no substitute for the proper stuff. I found that even simple copying was a labourious task with poor results. I really had no option other than to replace the 3200.

The 3200 had given me excellent service so I wanted a scanner that gave at least as good a performance. Trawling through reviews I zoomed in on the V600 and the many positive comments settled it and I decided to buy one. I am absolutely delighted with my purchase. I thought the 3200 would be hard to beat but this scanner is light years ahead. I scan lots of photographs and negatives of classic cars and had up until now been happy with the results but wow, every little gleam, every piece of chrome and shiney bodywork simply leaps off the screen in a way that I didn't think possible from a scanner in this price range. I am so impressed that I am actually re-archiving many photographs, negatives and slides that I had previously thought to be of a very good standard.

Scanning slides and negatives was always a bit of a trial. It was really difficult to eradicate dust and spots. Epson's own dust removal tool was pretty lame and often removed fine details in addition to dust. So, I would spend literally hours cleaning images up with Photoshop and this would take the pleasure out of the whole exercise. I had read many articles on Digital Ice and despite general praise for it, I was quite cynical. Boy did I get a suprise. It actually works and the amount of time spent cloning on Photoshop has drastically reduced. I keep it set to the default, 'medium' setting and this produces excellent results. It should be mentioned at this stage that Digital Ice will not work with Kodachrome slides. This is something, as I understand it, to do with the yellow dyes in this type of film. This is a pity as I have many Kodachrome slides.

Now you will note that I have only given four stars rather than five. This is due to the fact that the scanner is made of some very, VERY cheap looking and feeling plastic and I really do wonder how robust over time it will be. The 3200 was built like a bus and weighed a ton but you got a feeling of solidity and reliablity with it that simply is lacking in the V600. The flims carriers too are of poor construction in comparison to the 3200. I seriously doubt that they will endure long, daily scanning sessions. Shame on Epson for this and in my view they have tarnished an otherwise great product. Clearly there have been some major cost reductions. They should realise that scanners at this end of the market get much more use than the cheaper ones and quality of build does count. If you buy one, and I hope you do, exercise real caution when using it or you could find yourself with a big, expensive broken toy.
44 comments| 77 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 May 2011
Bought Jan / Feb 2011 with the sole intention of scanning Medium Format (120) roll film, since buying i've decided to go to the Ilford B+W system and now i'm developing all my own film aswell... lots of negatives to scan...
Excellent product, some comments about the frames to hold the negatives could be true - they do feel a touch flimsy but be careful and they don't fall apart, the software however is a let down, the software sees the framing of 35mm well enough but it applies the same mask to 120 film... pointless... Get a copy of Vuescan - so much more control over the variables and scan rates)

Incidentally - on a 120 format film a 12800DPI scan yields a 400MB TIFF file, stick to 6400DPI and convert into JPEG (using Adobe lightroom to sort exposure compensation etc...) and you'll be left with approx 8MB depending on how much of the image you crop out

The depth of resolution is excellent on this scanner, i struggle to see how the next scanner up can improve - maybe it makes coffee aswell??
on 19 February 2012
I got this to scan a few more old family photos that turned up after I'd sold my Epson V700. (Doh!)

I like the faster warm up compared to the V700.

It does a decent job. I've scanned maybe 40 negatives and 300 prints.

As with the V700, the results are not as sharp as I'd have liked.
It's also pointless using very high resolutions.
600dpi is probably the limit for normal sized prints.
2400dpi for negatives / slides.
Going much beyond those settings doesn't really extract any more information.
You just end up with huge files and slow scanning.

However, by chance, I discovered something really annoying.
When scanning at 600dpi, the actual resolution is about:
594.54dpi across (X)
599.11dpi along (Y)

This means that people will appear slightly thinner for "normal" orientation when the scans are viewed on a screen or printed.
And if you rotate 90/270 before scanning, people will appear slightly fatter instead.
It's not huge, but it's noticeable, especially if you scan both ways on and compare them.

Looking at some scans done by the V700 reveal that it looks like it had the same problem!
However, an old Canon 3200F that I used about 7 years ago was spot-on, but with poorer colour accuracy etc.

Interestingly, I found someone else complaining about similar / worse problems with a V200 here:
[...]

Most people probably won't care, but I wanted to let you know.
33 comments| 79 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 January 2011
Having worked in the graphic arts industry for over 20 years. A couple of years ago I moved on, and lost the facility to scan transparencies. After taking on a project with a significant number of colour transpaencies in it, I needed a piece of kit to handle it. Whilst I looked at the V700 the budget didn't stretch that far. So opted for the V600, as it met most of my criteria.

On arrival, which was earlier than the ETA, managed to get installed really easily, and get a few medium format transparencies on it to test it. And WOW! I wasn't expecting the performance which it gave. (Even on a G5 Mac). Whilst the quality isn't quiet upto high end pre-press/ repro drum scanner, it was better than acceptable. So much so, it has now created alot more work for me, scanning a significant library of transparencies.

For the price point, a product which performs really well (especially with my expectations!)
on 3 June 2010
I bought this for home use, to scan in photos for a photo book being constructed in Aperture (on an iMac, Snow Leopard, 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo and 3GB RAM). I knew I would be working with some very old photographs (more than 100 years old), old format B&W negatives, slide film and 1970s colour prints. With a lot of material, I didn't want to wait too long for each scan.

The scanner worked fine on all prints and negatives, but consistently introduced a red line down all of the colour transparencies. Thinking that a newer driver might solve the problem, I tracked down one on the Epson website (v 3.81, rather than the ver 3.80 supplied on the CD). It didn't solve the red line problem, but it did introduce some very strange 'light bars' across the preview image. These weren't replicated in the scanned images, but they did make it much more difficut to operate the scanner and were clearly not something to be lived with. I tried rolling back to the original installation using time machine, to undo problem No: 2, but could not get back to ver 3.80 of the software.

I called Epson, who were very helpful, and we agreed that the red line problem was probably a hardware fault - they hadn't heard of it before. Amazon were excellent about the return. DHL collected the old one the next day and Amazon had already despatched the replacement scanner, so I had a new scanner very quickly.

Undoing the software fault was problematic, but eventually successful. The short story is to use the Epson scanner installer, in uninstall mode, and then reinstall the software from scratch. It's not enough to just drag the Epson app folders into the bin. Now I'm running Ver 3.80 of the scan software, with no light bar artefacts in Preview and no red lines on the colour slides. Hooray.

Now that I'm running correctly, my comments are:

1. The scanner is excellent. Quick and does a great job. I've scanned about 300 images so far. I have played with all the various settings and concluded that, most of the time, the scanner does a great job all on its own.

2. Epson were very helpful - thank you! However be wary of the later driver on their website!

3. Amazon should be commended for the speed of replacing what turned out to be a faulty product.

Thumbs up all round. Great product, and I just write off my original 'red line' problem to bad luck.
on 22 October 2013
Despite the one star this is a good scanner. The problem I have is it's durability or should I say the lack of it, considering it has had only light use I would not have expected any problems after using it for only 18 months. However I find when using the top scanner for scanning negatives or transparencies I get a dark line going through the entire strip making them unprintable. After spending £200 on the V600 and it being only six months out of guarantee I can't say I'm happy.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 9 December 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Computer - Mac Book Pro, OS 10.9, 4GB memory.

Like so many others "of a certain age" I have boxes full of old negatives and slides that I haven't clapped eyes on for over 25 years.
Up until now it has been difficult or expensive to get these images reprinted, and I originally purchased an "ion film to SD" scanner to try to get some of these images back onto paper.
That was 'OK', but it was 2 years ago, so when I was given the opportunity to try out this scanner from Epson I was curious to see if there would be any difference in the images I got out of this one compared to the ion.
There certainly is!
I love almost everything about this scanner. It looks good and it is easy to operate.
It is solidly built, and weighs enough to sit still on the desktop - I do sometimes worry about lightweight scanners moving slightly as the motors and gears whirr inside them. It has the ability to scan paper items and also film/slides.
You can use it on "auto" (and even in auto you can set some controls), so it will do almost everything an average person will probably need.
But - it also has access to manual controls (professional mode) which gives the more advanced (or fussy) user much more control over the final output.
For scanning flat images on paper, card, old photographs simply place the image (image side down) in the machine, close the lid and launch the supplied EPSON scan software. Select you preferred mode and away you go. The lid is hinged in such a way as to allow quite thick items to be scanned, like thin packets and boxes.
For scanning slides and film the procedure is similar, but you also have to take out the thin pressure plate in the lid to reveal the second light source. Then place your negatives or slides into the plastic frame that comes with the scanner, put on the scanner bed , close the lid and press the scan button. The light in the lid shines through the slides/film into the scan chamber below, which is what generates the image.
It's a bit like having a slide projector on your desk, if you see what I mean?!
The scanner also comes with a version of Photoshop Elements, which is a great bonus, as this currently sell for about 50 pounds.
I have added some of my results to the 'customer images' section of the page so you can see what I am getting.
review image review image review image review image
on 25 February 2016
Admittedly, I've only been using this a few days, so can't yet rate its durability, but my gosh, the scans I'm getting of my ink and graphite drawings are amazing!!

My drawings are sized A3, whilst the scanner is A4 sized, so I scan only a part each time, and then in Adobe Photoshop, I do File - Automate - Photo Merge and it magically merges the scans together, even filling in the empty bits with cloned background. I can't tell at all where the stitching occurred. And, when I choose the 'remove vignette' option, it also gets rid of the darkening that may otherwise appear along the edge of the scans.

In the Epson Scan software, I use "Professional Mode", set the DPI to 300 (it can go higher), and the pixel width to 6,500. The resolution is amazing -- so much better than what I've achieved with my camera and Scottish sunlight. I hardly have to do any processing in Photoshop (apart from "healing" the all too visible bits of stray charcoal, etc.). I just add a "Levels" layer and sample with the "white" eyedropper the white of the background, and voila! It's ready for printing.

The Epson software was a bit difficult to set-up -- the software that came on the CD kept crashing. So, I uninstalled it and instead used the latest version from the web: [...]
I just downloaded and then installed everything on that page.

To run the scanner, plug it in, connect it to your computer via the USB cord, and then turn it on (a rather awkwardly placed button the side). Then you can start using the Epson Scan software.

Included with this review is a portion of my scanned A3 artwork. Ink, charcoal and iridescent pastel. I "healed" a bit of the white underneath the beak, but left everything else as-is.
review image