on 10 February 2016
Looking for a modern set of Beethoven' s symphonies (other than Abaddo's - my preference - I was lucky ordering Haitink with LSO. Despite some other reviewers' opinions, I consider it is technically superb - cristal sound, warmth, very good dinamic, I could listen to the finest details. Even if on my sacd player, it could sound not perfect, using a Senn HD 598 headphones, I felt I would be in the Barbican. Very good scene, each instrument is distinct - A pleasure to listen to.I have Abbado with BPO on dvd, so I consider this set to be the best option for a modern one on cd/sacd.

As for the music itself, what could I say? Some symphonies (#3. #4, #7, #9 especially) seems to me to be the top of the top. No matter how many complete sets I have, I will look for this one again and again. It' s fest!
on 4 February 2017
Some of these SACDs need playing back at a higher than usual setting and the sound is slightly different for some but all give a good impression of what happened in the hall. The performances are good to superb and the commit ment of the orchestra is outstanding. Haitink seems reborn!
on 15 August 2015
With the BBC Proms starting a few weeks ago starting with Beethoven I was reminded that I had bought this some time ago so finally sat down last weekend for a splurge of Beethoven. What can I say, pure quality and I loved every minute. It won't be so long before I listen again, especially as I now have it in an easier format to listen to so don't need to dig around for my CD player.
on 20 April 2015
Great SACD set of all 9 Beethoven symphonies. If you have a SACD player do get this for your collection. The detail is so much better and the sound stage is superior to the standard stereo CD recordings. Even if you don't have surround sound, a stereo system makes this version seem much more alive and involving for the listener.
on 30 September 2014
Revelatory would be my one-word summary of this Beethoven symphony cycle by the London Symphony Orchestra under Bernard Haitink. He may now be 85 but Haitink is never predictable or boring. (These recordings were made in 2005 and 2006 when the Dutchman was a relative youngster.) It's big band Beethoven but the sense of attacking the music that Haitink produces from the LSO shows just how much historically-informed performance has transformed the way Beethoven is played nowadays. And I was pleasantly surprised not to encounter the now almost legendary acoustical problems associated with the Barbican venue in London. The way the timpanis leap out of your speakers/headphones makes this an edge-of-seat rollercoaster experience. Try the 4th symphony for starters. At the time of writing, the whole lot ( and you get the Triple Concerto as a bonus) will cost you under £9 as an excellent MP3 download. It's the old story. Just when you think you couldn't possibly stomach yet another Beethoven symphony cycle, one comes along that blows your cynicism right out of the water. It's called genius and wasn't Ludwig van Beethoven the ultimate of the breed ?
on 13 January 2018
Bought for my Wife who loved it
on 27 April 2017
Superb. A rival to Herbert's iconic recordings.
on 19 July 2017
Excellent ,well packed and well recorded and arrived on time .
Regards Dave
on 29 January 2017
The Best!
on 2 May 2012
The London Symphony Orchestra, Bernard Haitink, Beethoven and hybrid SACD: a splendid combination. Although I had several symphonies on CD already, this box is now my default choice. Top quality.