on 2 June 2017
My grandson did his Duke of Edinburgh expedition in these socks without any trouble at all.
on 15 February 2017
I've got 8 different hiking socks. I settled on this model and bought 6 pairs over time replacing all others. These socks are the perfect compromise between comfort, size and breathability. If I find a better model I'll update this review.

Of course if you don't blister easily then you shouldn't bother and buy more lightweight socks but for us non-ubermensch this gives the extra protection that make a difference between hobbling home or enjoying the rest of your holiday in comfort.

They are the perfect height for full size hiking boots and they fold in half easily making for compact storage in your backpack. There is no bulky seam over your toes.

They dry quickly and you can wear them the next day even without putting them up in a dry room. The first pair I bought has gone through over 10 washes by now and it's in perfect condition, almost like new.
on 14 December 2014
These socks, along with a thin application of the Compeed anti-blister stick on key areas I know usually blister on my feet, meant that after a 100km hike over 25+ hours, my feet were in severe pain, but with no blisters. These socks are durable, keep your feet comfortable (not holding in all sweat).

To put this into perpective, everyone I was walking with or encountered (a hundred or so people over the course of the day) complained of at least one blister - I didn't have a single one. I can't recommend these socks enough.
on 15 August 2016
I've struggled with awful blistered for years, especially when wearning formal shoes (which I have to do almost every day). I've tried every type of hair brained remedy to get over this but nothing has worked until recently but as combination of these socks and these ENGO Blister Prevention Patches - Six Pack has done the trick.

I would usually get hot feet, then blisters, within 5 minutes of walking in formal shoes, then later in the day I'd be in a ton of pain. I tried each product separately and got decent results, but using them together has been a real eye opener. I can walk for an hour now with no side effects - this really has been revolutionary for me.

The socks are quite tight but fit really well, I've even worn them for more than one day when circumstances have called for it and they've done the trick. They wash really well too. They feel a little bit stiffer than normal socks, it's difficult to explain but they certainly do the trick for me so I'm not bothered. The socks are expensive but they have revolutionised my quality of my daily life so not a bad trade off.

Try this combination out if you suffer like me; you'll be glad you did I'm sure.
on 28 April 2017
Despite owning three pairs I actually after a few used find them a little too hot and bulky for my running shoes - yes the two layers work , but unless you running more than 25km a week I'd say an over investment - stopped wearing them after 6 runs
on 23 May 2014
I was advised to use these socks when I put in an entry for the Caledonian Challenge last year. The events aim is to raise money for local charities through the Scottish Foundation in the main, and entails a sponsored 54 mile hike, to be completed in under 24 hours. The challenge starts at Inverlochy on the Caledonian Canal and the first stage is into Fort William and the first check-point in Glen Nevis. The remainder of the challenge is on a reverse of the West Highland Way and ends in Glen Fillan, just to the South of Tyndrum.
Using some zinc oxide tape over the rear of both heels and changing the 1000 Mile socks at each of 5 check points left my feet in pristine condition at the end of this trek, some 20+ hours later. Of course the selection and breaking in of the boots had a lot to do with this but the sock selection was equally important. Brilliant!
on 26 May 2015
Gave me blisters 5km into a 100km charity walk. Became so severe I was forced to drop out at 25km. Boots were well fitted warn in and would not normally produce blisters at this distance.
Spent a few days on crutches, the socks are the only piece of equipment previously untried so I am sure the blame falls to them.
review image
on 7 March 2017
Great socks. Keep my feet dry on long walks. I have got blisters wearing them... but it was during torrential rain, in trainers. They do job if you look after yourself aswell.
on 2 May 2017
Got blisters quicker than a regular walking sock. 15 mi into my 32 mi walk. Tried adjusting several times. Not very impressed!
on 26 November 2013
Let's be honest when you're talking hiking/mountain climbing, £10 isn't really an expense worth quibbling over.

I see that certain reviewers had a bad time with the socks, and whilst I do not doubt the integrity of their claims (which i'll come to later), the socks performed to a very high standard for me.

I wore them on a 10 day hike through the pyrenees during which I completely lost the trail (where it had been destroyed by flood) and ended up tackling some serious terrain. I didn't get a single blister and was in fact disappointed when I eventually switched to my medium weight hiking socks.

The reason that I do not doubt the negative reviewers is that at one stage whilst tackling a particularly steep section with all of my weight on my toes, I did start to feel some discomfort. You're talking fairly extreme stress though.

The science behind them seems to be the double layer, which allows any slippage/abrasion to occur between the two sock layers as opposed to between the sock and the skin. That may be wrong, but whatever it is it worked for me.

To sum up, I would buy them again and again unless they failed particularly horrendously over time. For £10 you'll be hard pushed to find better.