on 10 February 2010
This book has a foreword by John Piper, and is then split into chapters on different subjects, each written by different authors (CJ Mahaney, Jeff Purswell, Craig Cabaniss etc). I found the book to be very helpful; the authors share their own experiences with the reader and then each gives counsel which is biblical, practical and pastoral. I found the chapters "God, My heart and Media" and "How to love the world" most helpful but the whole book is very good. Another added bonus is the low price!
on 3 April 2013
Written by pastors, including a foreword from John Piper, the six chapters address a range of topics from music and media to choices of clothing. With humour but always thoroughly biblical, these leaders counsel Christians to keep short accounts of their walk with the Lord in every aspect of their lives.

In the opening chapter, C. J. Mahaney challenges the reader by asking if we apply scissors to the Bible. In other words do we cut out or ignore the verses that challenge us?

"The drift towards worldliness," writes Craig Cabaniss in the chapter entitled, 'God, My Heart and Media', "is subtle, gradual and internal. And if we assume we're immune to it, that's a sure sign the drift has begun."

Indeed, this is the key message of the whole book. We may not even realise how far we have drifted towards worldliness in our walk with the Lord.

Within its 169 pages, the writers of 'Worldliness' identify specific problems, provide pertinent illustrations and testimonies, and offer biblical solutions for dealing with each area. At the end of the book useful appendices are provided, including topics for discussion. "What," asks Jeff Pursewell in the closing chapter, 'How to Love the World', "is our relationship to be with the world? How are we to relate to it? How can we imitate God's love for the world?"

'Worldliness' is well worth reading. It offers a timely reminder that we are in the world, and by implication, involved with it, but if our testimony is to be effective, we must not allow ourselves, insidiously to be taken captive by its culture and values.
on 27 July 2011
This book is an anthology dealing with the subject of worldliness in the Christian life. Rather than lists of questionable practices, the authors deal with Christian Principls and attitudes. I found the book deeply challenging my life, and my desire to live for Christ in holiness. I am just a learner (as we all are) and this book has helped me to make progress towards "the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus" Philippians 3v14.
on 11 February 2010
This book is a blessing for any christian who is stuck in thier sinful ways and needs help to grow spiritually. It really does enlighten you about some bad habits and wrong doings that you do but don't know because it's not explicitly set out in the bible. I would recommend it. Hope you have a good read.
on 7 April 2010
There's quite a lot packed into this small and low priced book. Well written and a topic not easy to cover. Very thought provoking and encourages you to really look at your life and whether you have been more seduced by the world than you might think. Whether you have been a Christian for a short time or a long time I throughly recommend this book!
(Please note that the book is not by John Piper although there is a foreword from him).
on 29 August 2013
This book was noted in another book I was reading. There is a very balanced view of what worldlines is and isn't. I thought the chapter on women dressing modestly was a bit out of balance, seeming to blame the ladies for the shortcomings of the men! While I would rather not see the ladies with EVERYTHING hanging out, men need to learn self control as well. Otherwise a good book and I highly recommend it.
on 28 September 2013
my wife loves this as she is a book worm the item arrived well packed and in a short while my wife was in reading mode
on 26 September 2014