Learn more Shop now Shop now</arg> Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop now

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 7 December 2009
Them Crooked Vultures Just been reading through the reviews and I guess I'd class an album as Five Stars if it was complete. All killers and no fillers. Unfortunately there are a couple on this, Interlude with Ludes should simply have been left out. As most Albums these days seem to hover in the nine to ten track territory, this is doing pretty well. Spinning in the Daffodils although good in its self, could perhaps have been used on another release as like other reviewers I was expecting this album to end on a high note.

That aside, its one of the best rock albums in a few years. Yeah it has a stella cast, but it could have all too easily been half baked. I read a Guardian review which seemed to miss the point, the obsession with referring to TCV as a "Super group" is a fallacy. It's no more relevant than calling "Masters Of Reality" (Olivieri, Goss, Homme) a "Super Group". Josh Homme has made a career out of many different projects with a constantly rotating line up. I lost interest in Rock for many years, having seen Janes Addiction, Nirvana and many others in the early 1990s, must say it was hearing Josh Homme with Queens late 90s that made me take notice again.

As for the review by "Joe 90" I would like to hear what Rock albums he's discovered over the past couple of years, as I doubt they'd be as competent as this album is. From the offset, "No Body Loves Me" is a great track spiky, sleazy and really well arranged, "Mind Eraser No Chaser" a comment I think, on Ritalin and other proscribed anti depressants and youth is great, especially Grohl's vocal. "New Fang" is a great straight ahead rock song, with some strong lyrics n hooks ala Homme. JPJ's bass just holds this album together effortlessly, like the first half of "Physical Graffiti" the one Zep album which features less of plants annoying "oh baby's" ect.

The Real stand out's for me are "Elephants" which starts with a spiky punk inspired riff, before giving way to a heavyweight riff which I would say sounded like Toni Iommi playing Kashmir (Which I'd love to hear)and also features Dave Grohl really thumpin the pots n pans.....Lots reviews, I guess coz of the Zep contingent, liken his playing to Bonham. I feel since Songs For The Deaf and this he's more of a Phil Rudd (AC/DC classic line up) heavy as hell. Not over fancy or flashy and can lock down a serious groove, it's what he's best at and for my money how drumming should be, primal.

"Scumbag Blues" and "Caligulove" both somehow have a real Cream quality to them, which to me is no bad thing. They both stand out and have great hooks. It's like damming Zep for sounding like Bert Jansch or Lead Belly. My favourite track on the album is "Dead End Friends" which wouldn't sound out of place on "Songs For The Deaf", love the line "I follow the road all night hoping to find which puzzle piece fell out of me". On the whole it's a great album, or I wouldn't have bothered writing this. I think Chris Goss's latest "Masters Of Reality" album is well worth a punt as well. This album is defiantly the most exciting I have heard all year, can't wait for the next rumoured instalment next year! Nor can I wait for the live experience! Thanks!!!!
on 13 July 2016
What a Line up Josh Homme (Queens of the Stone Age), Dave Grohl (Foo Fighters) and John Paul Jones (Led Zepplin) all in one band and the result is stunning. No member of the band over shadows each other and at the same time there own time to shine.

Josh Homme brings many Stoner rock ideas from Queens of the Stone age to the band, as well as adding a fresh sound which is allmost blues rock. Which can really be head on Elaphants and Scumbag Blues.

This is an album for anyone wanting who loves Stoner and Blues rock as well as fans of the bnads that the line up are in.
on 10 July 2011
Having read a lot of reviews of this one when it came out, I'd more or less decided I wouldn't like it. Then it was given to me as a gift - good move, as it's much better than a lot of the reviews (and some of the band members' own interview comments) give it credit for. The first couple of minutes are a little disappointing - most CD's lead off with a strong track, but No One Loves Me & Neither Do I sounds like a jam session recorded in an empty (and echoey) rehearsal room. Then, near the 3-minute mark, the track explodes with a monster riff - and you realise why it's the lead track.

Tracks like Mind Eraser, No Chaser are well-constructed rock tunes, and those like Elephant are riff-driven monsters that wouldn't be out of place on Physical Graffiti or Songs for the Deaf. It's worth putting the whole disc on, as it ends with two tracks that combine the riffage with the songwriting. Gunman and Spinning in Daffodils round the album off with a mixture of power, drama and humour.

Them Crooked Vultures have made a great album, that builds on the strengths of each member - Grohl in particular spends the whole album doing what he does best - playing rock drums better than just about anybody else, ever. Homme handles all the lead vocals, and John Paul Jones does what he did in Led Zep - unobtrusive but rock-solid bass and characteristic production flourishes.
on 4 February 2010
I waited a while to review this album to avoid being trampled by the hysteria. I've read all the reviews. Some helpful, some not. Some amount to nothing more than an uninformative rant. Chances are if you are a fan of Kyuss, QotSA and Led Zeppelin you're going to like TCV but why 5 stars? Seems to me that we (reviewers)can be motivated by a range of complex considerations when we are invited to rate a collection of songs. Being limited to a range of 1 to 5 is a bit of a cop out really. This album contains many of the elements that I hear on my favourite Kyuss album, my favourite QotSA album and my favourite Zep album but all these musicians have previously been involved in making better albums than this imo and It's not possible to compare it to previous TCV albums, making it a difficult one to rate. It's not the best album ever made nevertheless it is a very special hybrid of musical excellence that can only be provided by musicians with the experience and track record of Them !! Very special indeed.
on 17 July 2015
It took me a while to get into this but now it's one of my favoroute albums. For those that don't know, TCV is a three part supergroup consisting of Josh Homme (Queens Of the Stone Age, Kyuss, Desert Sessions), John paul Jones (Led Zeppelin, Donovan, King Chrimson) and Dave Grohl (Nirvana, Foo Fighters, Queens of the Stone Age).

The album is quite diverse and contains some truly unique playing!
on 23 December 2009
Three incredibly talented musicians doing what they're brilliant at - creating music. This isn't a stunt to advertise QOTSA or Foo Fighters etc; and don't buy it just because you're a fan of each of the bands, sounds nothing like any of the three bands. It sounds like three musicians blending their skills and having fun, with a thunderous twist of course. A mesh of hardcore rock one minute, classic blues the next, heavy goth rock, then even a twist or two of classic American country rock thrown in there! Josh Homme and John Paul Jones merging their talents in beautiful harmony with Dave Grohl beating the living daylights out of the drums by bringing them back to life! It's fresh, original and truly addictive.
on 17 June 2013
I came to write this after reviewing ...Like Clockwork by Queens Of The Stone Age. I was surprised to hear this album getting negative comments over there so I headed this way to set the world to rights - but happily that doesn't seem to be the majority view.

It makes me wonder (oooh and it makes me wonder) if fans of Led Zeppelin and/or the Foo Fighters picked up a copy of TCV expecting to hear their respective favourite band, only to discover it's thoroughly Queens Of The Stone Age (with some wandering Kashmir style John Paul Jones keyboard playing - Bandoliers - being the only atypical ingredient). I suppose if the boot was on the other foot and I found I'd got a Foo Fighters album, I too would be disappointed; so if I can add anything to the previous comments, it would be to target my recommendation specifically to fans of the whole QOTSA back catalogue.

Some people describe this album as a grower; I would describe QOTSAs Era Vulgaris and ...Like Clockwork as growers, but with this album the majority of tracks grabbed me at the first listen, with the last four or five tracks taking a little longer. I find the arrhythmic Reptiles a bit jarring, and Interlude With Ludes slightly derivative of Era Vulgaris's I'm Designer (as well as being a skippable spaced-out novelty). I love the rest, Josh Hommes compositions thump along like an engine as usual; and it has the original and the best Elephant song on it, none of that Tame Impala nonsense.
VINE VOICEon 15 July 2010
It's so difficult to review this record when, if like me, you love QOTSA, the Foo Fighters and Led Zep. All amazing bands with varied, but consistently brilliant out put.

This, in theory should be a cast iron classic, but for me it slips into the lazier side of Josh Hommes output. Over long songs, fairly tried and tested style and maybe two or three stand out songs that don't quite do enough. Yes the playing is excellent, you'd expect as much, but the songs just don't break new ground from their existing bands.

As a completist fan of QOTSA, I'd say go for it, but don't expect it to change the world.
on 30 November 2009
Can't fault this vinyl version, the art on this is lovely

and as for the album in my opinion it is an instant classic, buy it now. right now. seriously just do it.
VINE VOICEon 30 November 2009
It took me only 2 minutes and 44 seconds of `No one loves me and neither do I' to realise that this album and band are a wee bit special. It's the moment when they come out of the bridge and the whole band explodes playing the main riff again - a simple but magical moment that highlights the sheer musical savvy and creativity of these 2 geezers and an old git.

No one teaches this at music school and it highlights for me what this band is all about - 3 guys having a ball, and we're the lucky gatecrashers. Lucky to hear the experience and blistering bass of Jones, lucky to hear Grohl behaving badly behind the drums and lucky to hear Homme who has surely reached his peak here. Individually these guys are good but together they are great, with I think the rhythm section of Jones and Grohl and the way that they sound like a proper band that being the key to this album - making it a contender for album of the year (maybe even the decade).

On my website (musicforthemonth) I have recently complained that I'm not always happy with new albums as there's rarely enough good tracks to make me want to play it again and again, With the exception of `Interlude with Ludes' - one song that I don't particularly rate - the rest are all great songs - I have even added 2 songs to my monthly music mix on musicforthemonth and could have added 4 or 5 more.

So... this is a well produced album by 3 master musicians loving what they doing. It's almost like a master class for musicians everywhere on how to make music.