on 21 July 1998
Yes - it is something of a remake of his first model. Yes - it seems a bit boring for McInerney to write once again about NYC and its strange inhabitants while secretly enjoying exactly those people to the max. And yes - he can't help being not able to decide whether this should be a funny or dead-serious book. But who cares ? Although "The last of the Savages" and "Brightness Falls" were his best, it's a great read, not only for the die-hard-McInerney/Ellis fans. Charming, funny, sad and very true if it comes to the feeling of being left by a beuatiful and fascinating woman (or a dog). I am now waiting for the remake of "Story of my life".........
on 22 August 1998
Okay, so it's "Bright Lights" rewritten for the 1990s, but it's still good - as good a reminder of life in the 1990s as Bright Lights was for the 1980s (plus ca change etc..). The book stands on its own merits, and has one of the most valuable characteristics of any book - it's a great read, and hard to put down. It's gimmicky, but also clever - very clever, in fact, to the point of extreme sublety in summing up the world of showbiz, glitter and what passes for criticism. There are no facts - only gossip, public relations and cliched reviews and comments. Jay McInerney should come back every decade and rewrite this book.
on 8 November 1998
Not McInerney's best work but a worthwhile read. What really impressed me, however, were the short stories. I was pleasantly surprised. I will surely revisit these many times. I know that Bright Lights, Big City was his most noted work,however, I feel that Brightness Falls was easily his most mature work. I would also reccomend Ransom, his first book although it was published after Bright Lights...
on 19 December 1998
McInerney shows in 'Model Behaviour' that social criticisme needs not to be shouted out, but works best when it is brought with subtilty. More over this work of fiction is in my perspective the prove that postmodern fiction is still interesting to read.
He uses bright methafores and some interesting meta-fiction that emphasis the dealings of this day and age.
All in all a very good book.
on 4 May 1999
The actual novel wasn't bad, and I liked the main character. However, once I finished the novel and started the short stories, I lost all interest in reading whatsoever. I think he should have just stuck with the novel and left it as that
on 16 January 1999
I devour anything McInerney writes and was not disappointed by this book at all. I'm not a big fan of short stories - why smoke a Robusto when you can have a Churchill? - but enjoyed his stories immensely.
on 26 October 1998
I can't believe how lazy this book is. The author literally takes the plot of his one and only hit book (*how* long ago was that now?) and totally recycles it for a new decade. Give me a break...
on 1 February 1999
I liked this book more than Story of My Life, but enjoyed Bright Lights, Ransom and Brightness Falls more. But even when not at his best, Jay still is well worth reading.
on 2 February 1999
This book was a great disappointment in every way. The highlight was the discussion of nematodes in Florida. A complete waste of time!