on 22 October 2017
I vaguely remembered this one from the dim, distant past as possibly not one of Pratchett's best but, in the Discworld series it fills holes and ties characters together (pity I read it out of sequence with "The Maskerade" but, that's the way things go sometimes) and was still entertaining.
on 18 July 2014
This is one of the books that i read for the first time since getting back into Terry Pratchett and what a corker.As

i've said in a previous review,i hadn't read any Discworld books in quite a while and i have to say i really enjoyed

this.

Following on from the last witches story it sees the Vampires coming to Lancre and they're up to no good.Agnes

Nitt,Granny Weatherwax,Nanny Ogg and Magrat all get a look in with the introduction (unless i'm mistaken) of

Mightily Oats.

Great stuff!
on 2 March 2014
A re-read because my paperback version disappeared a few years ago in a mysterious offspring-leaving-home-ain't-my-bookshelves-empty event. I didn't actually enjoy it so much first time round, but have to say I've found more to it on this re-read. Esme Weatherwax is as always lovingly drawn - suspect she's based on a favourite real-life granny somewhere. Like most Pratchetts, it's so characterful you wonder how his head has space for them all. Very much reading-for-leisure-and-pleasure, but with enough subtlety and sub-plots to occasionally stray into Deep Meaning. Funny and insightful.
on 19 March 2011
AUDIO CD.
This has to be in my top 3 of the abridged audio books-and I have about 20.
I choose this one because it manages to hold my imagination for the most part.
It does have a dip about two-thirds of the way through (I'm sure this must be due to the editing, judging by the book readers reviews), but it doesn't last too long.
Has a good story line,and a good ending. We're with The Witches and a new character to me, IGOR.
I LOVE IGOR!
HE IS A ONE OFF. I don't know where Terry Pratchett plucked him from but I really feel Sir TP enjoyed writing this character.
The wit surrounding Igor is a triumph AND WITH TONY ROBINSONS Slurpy,interpritation -AN ABSOLUTE JOY!
ps.(Would love to have howling wind, wolves, the sound of the horse-drawn carriage etc in the background though.)
on 16 June 2014
I love the way Pratchett writes vampires in this book, and in following novels also. I believe this is the first of the Discworld novels to really delve into vampire lore on Discworld; Feet of Clay had a vampiric antagonist it's true, but this I feel is the book that started it all, along with the intruduction of Igor into the Discworld canon. Igors have to be my favourite secondary characters in the series. For anyone suffering from post-Twilight depression, this should cheer you up no end.
on 19 December 2015
The witches of Lancre are back for a dusting-off, and it sadly all seems like one novel too many. Doesn't have the holding power of earlier Pratchett books, and fails to cover any new ground. A book that could have written itself, given the formulaic nature of its cast and situations.
on 17 August 2017
To my mind, one of the best of the witches books. And the witches are some of my favourite characters on the Discworld. Warmly recommended.
on 4 March 2014
Having read most of Terry Pratchett's books over the past year, I having been filling in the blanks, and this book is one of those. It stars the witches of Lancre, as well as the King and his wife, and the Wee Free Men. The interesting part of this book is the vampire family who embed themselves in Lancre, and is the first proper chance I have had to read about the vampires of the DiscWorld.
The story itself is gripping, well paced and stars Nanny Ogg as one of the main protagonists. The humour is there, and it's great to see another Igor in the book. Definitely one of the better stories in the series, and great to find out about the more 'traditional' vampires too, who the residents of Uberwald prefer over the 'modern' ones!!
on 6 September 2012
This is the lastest story about Granny Weatherwax, Nanny Og and Magrat as well as the character Agnes and her inner voice Perdita (who made a very brief apperance in Lords and Ladies).

The Three Witches have made their way back from their travels (Witches Abroad) and the latest celebrations from the Castle have been turned into a rather political affair, including members from the Werewolf Economies from Uberval. The guest list includes some rather unsavoury yet suave characters hell bent on taking over the kingdom and extending their reaches into L'Ancre.

Granny, Nanny, Magrat and Agnes as well as a host of other brilliant characters including a Missionary of Om, The Wee Free Men Pict-sy's and Hodges Arrr have to save the day!

You will need a cup of tea at the end of this book, for reasons I will leave you to uncover!!
on 10 April 2017
Not a fan of the narrater, but always enjoy these TP's work