on 23 November 2017
I currently have eighteen tanks of my own that get weekly water changes. For the past several years I have used only Start Right by Jungle Labs in my tanks because it is the cheapest conditioner that meets all of my specifications.

I also clean other people’s aquariums, and on occasion my customers will move and be unable to take their aquariums with them, for two different customers the answer lay in giving me the aquariums and all their fish and equipment. One of these customers had a fresh bottle of Aquasafe, the conditioner she used for her partial water changes on the weeks I didn’t vacuum her gravel. I am not one to waste aquatic supplies if at all possible, so I stuck the bottle in the drawer with all the things for my downstairs tank and started using it, keeping Start Right in the upstairs tanks.

At the time I started using the Aquasafe, Start Right had no additives in it for enhancing a fish’s slime coat (it has since been added), which is very nice if you have recently netted or picked-on fish. Aquasafe has aloe to enhance the slime coat, and so I quickly fell in love with it. My downstairs tank is the one all visitors see, and the one my young son has access to. While the gouramis in that tank are pretty tough troopers, I still do everything I can to pamper them in the slightly more stressful setting than the isolated upstairs fish have, and they do seem to appreciate this new conditioner.

It is important to remember that a water conditioner makes water safe for fish, but that does NOT mean that a tank is ready to be inhabited directly after filling and conditioning that tank. Most fish deaths occur through a misunderstanding or complete ignorance of the cycling a tank must go through. A tank, when first set up, has nothing in it to break down the ammonia from a fish’s waste. The bacteria that does that job takes time to get in the tank, and until then there should be either no fish in it or frequent partial water changes to keep ammonia levels down.

When setting up a tank the water conditioner must be in the water before the cycling process can begin, as all the things that are harmful to fish are also harmful to the bacteria the fish need in the tank. Follow the dosage on the back of the bottle when filling the tank, and when doing partial water changes you need only put the amount of water conditioner in for the new water, not the entire tank capacity.

Since I started using Aquasafe in my own tanks I have also offered it to my customers at a slight additional charge and a large percentage have chosen to pay that in order to have Aquasafe in their tanks.

Aquasafe comes in a screw-top bottle, it is available in most Wal-Marts in both 3.3 ounce and 8.4 ounce bottles. I buy the 8.4 ounce bottle for $5.64 and it treats 500 gallons. I have not seen any conclusive evidence that Aquasafe is better than my old stand-by, Start Right, but it is obvious that it does the job it is supposed to do and is reasonably priced, so well worth purchasing for your routine fish care. If you’d like to get a higher quality conditioner than this one, Stress Coat and Seachem Prime are the usual favorites for aquatic professionals, though their price reflects that reputation.

In short, Aquasafe will get the job done at a pretty good price and the product stands by the manufacturers claims.

Note: this product is approved for use with both saltwater and freshwater fish. My opinion reflects its use with freshwater fish only as I have no experience with saltwater fish
6 people found this helpful
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 10 January 2018
In my opinion, this is an essential bit of kit if you are keeping an aquarium of any size. 5ml for every 10 litres of water. There's a line in the screw top that indicates the 5ml point, so it's really easy to use. The water does turn a slight blueish colour, but it's not noticeable once it's in the aquarium.
4 people found this helpful
on 20 March 2018
Quickly and safely arrived this morning. Had bought it to make it easier to water my potted plants by quickly removing the chlorine from the tap water. The front and back of the plastic bottle was covered with instructions so I thought it would be best to take a quick look - only to find that the instructions were in various languages but not one word in English - except where it said "Made in Germany". So apparently the English language no longer exists so I will try to avoid buying anything else made in Germany.
on 23 April 2018
The one & only Tetra Aquasafe! I was really happy to find this so cheap to what it costs in the shops, practically half price! OK, so it's not in English so many are saying & complaining about, but it's 100% the exact same product!!! If you already know about this product then it does not even matter it's not in English. So simple to use. You can even google the dosages! But for those who like to moan go spend twice the amount just so you can read it :)
on 19 November 2015
Apparently tap water is not good for fish this makes tap water magically turn into water which has come from another non tap source for example a well I guess it works my fish haven't died yet
5 people found this helpful
on 6 October 2015
Can't be beat for quality and cleanliness, Possibly the best tape safe product on the market. 10/10 for very fast delivery 10/10 for information on sale of item 10/10 for product and quality. And believe it or not the wilko's tap safe as well as there weekly cleaner is also very good quality for the money. But this is simply the best product for keeping those nasty chemicals out of your pond or aquarium water.
on 25 May 2016
Quick delivery - Excellent job of making tap water safe for aquarium use and claims to support fishes natural protective mucus, I always use about double recommended amount to be safe and leave a full 24 hrs in my container water when doing water changes. would recommend.
on 23 June 2017
Good general purpose dechlorinator with added aloe vera - 5ml treats 10 litres and is suitable for cold water, tropical, fresh and brackish water. This can also be used with marine water if you turn your protein skimmer off while changing water.
One person found this helpful
on 22 December 2013
Very very good value for money. Large bottle which will last quite a while and makes the small bottles I purchase from my local pet shop look a right rip off. Having a discus tank means I have to do more regular water changes than a normal tropical set up so the cheaper the water conditioner the better. I will definately be buying this product again. Its difficult to give a product review on something like water conditioner but as its a neccesary product and my water quality is good and I don't often suffer any fish loss I assume its doing its job. In summary great value product delivered very quickly just a few days before Christmas.
on 4 June 2015
Use this every time and your fish will stay really healthy. I have a small tank and do weekly water changes (30%) to keep the water clear and the fish happy. I use with Safestart every time and my fish swim about a madly as they did when I got them. If you have a childs medicine syringe (the one without the needle!) it fits perfectly in the bottle opening and ensures you put the correct amount of liquid in the new water. Remember to give it 20 mins to work.