Format: Audio Download|Change
Price:£18.35

on 28 January 2004
To be honest, I always associated Bill Bryson with light travel books, so I was pleasantly suprised to find his refreshing writing style applied to etymology; not always the easiest topic to entertain with!
Having said that, there is so much more than etymology. The anecdotes are amusing, and you will find yourself repeating them to everyone you know. The work that debunks urban myths is fascinating and, as is often the case, fact is stranger than fiction; some of the truths behind words and phrases are truly special.
The lists of when words were first used did not appeal to me personally, although I am perfectly willing to believe that there are people out there who would be interested, but they are fairly easy to skip.
The one thing I take away from this book more than anything else is respect for American English. As a young Englishman, I have been pre-conditioned into a certain disregard for 'Americanisms'. Yet after reading this book, you will see how useful many of these words are, and the ones we choose to attack are very limited. I think the book is worth reading for this information alone.
In conclusion, a good read that you can take your time over.
on 14 January 2001
A very impressively researched and entertaining book. It sets out as an exploration of what happened to the English language when it got to North America, and achieves this goal admirably. However, it also provides a wealth of insights into the growth phases and catalysts which caused the US economy to grow to the super power it is today. This aspect of the book provides (perhaps unwittingly) many valuable historical perspectives on recent internet- driven developments - and how they may pan out. I read 'Mother Tongue' first. 'Made in America' is a perfect follow up.
on 2 August 2002
I read first read this book a few years ago but still find myself going back to it time and again. My copy is so well thumbed it is falling apart. Billed as a history of American English, this book is much more than that. It is one of those books which entertains and informs. I learned more about American history from this book than I did from a whole set of textbooks on the topic. I would recommend this book wholeheartedly to anyone. It is his best book by far.
on 6 January 2003
I think I read too many English boarding-school books when I was a kid. At least I got a snobbish attitude about the superiority of British English over American English from somewhere.
This book was a revalation, it showed me that my snobbishness was just that, and without foundation. Things that I had firmly believed, like that 'trash' was an Americanism, were swept away (and now I think, what would it matter if it were?).
Made In America is full of fascinating detail. I couldn't stop myself from reading passage after passage out loud, and I've bought copies for gifts. Anyone with an interest in language, history, or culture would get a kick out of this book.
on 26 March 2001
As an American having spent years in both England and Ireland, I thoroughly enjoyed this book exploring the American usage of the English language. Bryson, as only he can, relates many of the untold stories of the founding of the United States and how as a society we morphed the language to fit our ever-changing needs. He takes us on a journey through the events that enlivened and matured our language into what it is today.
Interesting, light-hearted yet immensely learned- it is the type of book you'll be referencing and discussing at dinner parties for years to come. Brilliantly written to appeal to readers on both sides of the pond.
While different from the travel books that Bryson is so famous for, this new genre of writing is no less wonderful.
on 3 May 2016
This is both an account of American English (which is what I got the book for) and American history. Difficult to say which predominates. It's not written in as much of a wry style as many of Bryson's books so I found it a little dry. Not Bryson's best work in my view, but a scholarly account nevertheless. I remain a fan of Bill Bryson, this is the only book (so far) I haven't fully enjoyed.
on 20 June 2003
Made in America was the first of Bills non-travel books that I read. In this book Bryson traces the history of the American language and how modern U.S English has evolved from the British English that the original settlers and immigrants would have spoken. Bill deals with many linguistic theories and looks at many words that come from other languages and are now part of modern U.S English. Bill also looks at other things like why there are so few ascents in America and yet every region in Britain and in fact in most parts of Europe has a distinct ascent.
Along the way Bill also looks at a lot of American history in his usual funny and informative style. Looking at American cinema the history of roads and even the story of Dr Kellogg the inventor of Corn Flakes and it turns out Dr Kellogg was the only crunchy nut. These historic parts of Made in America as well as being very good to read are also essential to the purpose of the book looking how Americans had to come up with new words for there new inventions and contraptions.
All in all a good read historic, funny and informative.
on 2 December 2016
I am a great fan of Bill Bryson so it is maybe unfair for me to comment. But - I think I have every book he has written and this is the latest. He is generally known for his acute sense of humour and sharp observation, so this book is a bit of a surprise. One is suddenly aware of his wide interests and deep research that he has put into this book on the development of the American English language. Quite fascinating.
on 26 August 2006
For a description of the book itself see the paperback version. Suffice to say if you are reading this entry then you probally want the audiobook specifically. This really is complete and unabridged and comes as one of those chivers audio packs you sometimes get in libraries aimed I think at the hard of sight. It is not in a standard CD case like regular audiobooks. This is read as are 'The Lost Continent: Travels in Small-Town America' & 'Notes From a Big Country' by William Roberts. Comes on 14Cd's divided into approximately 5 minute chapters on each for ease of finding your 'bookmark'.
on 23 September 2004
This is quite an engaging read. Approaching primarily it because of my interest in language and also in American culture, I was not disappointed by this work which offers the reader information on such diverse topics as travel, immigration and American food. Principally of a linguistic focus, it traces some of the etymological history of some of the more common (and uncommon) terms in the American and English languages. A worthwile read, and enjoyable too.