Format: Audio Download|Change
Price:£15.75

on 14 March 2010
I just could not get into this book: perhaps I tried to read it at the wrong time; perhaps I'm just not that interested. A surprise, as most of Alain de Botton' other books have sucked me in immediately and I had trouble putting them down ["The Pleasures and Sorrows of Work" was the only other one that I struggled through at the time].

It has its interests, and eccentricities [some very strange, to my mind!, designs:], and Alain de Botton's insights, as always, are quite profound and challenging: with this one the emphasis being that architecture is not simply a design out of nowhere,but shows who we are ansd what our beliefs are; and moreso, that is can make us feel a certain way. Interesting in a way, but it just didn't grab me.
on 27 July 2013
I wonder if this author who gets such great world acclaim is not actually a con and people didn't come to realise it yet. All he writes is shallow simplistic common sense appealing to some emotions never answering any questions, a waffle that is never scientific and not really useful to remember just some random aphorisms. Boring as hell.
on 22 June 2015
Thank you, item as expected.
on 3 November 2015
Very good...lovely book
on 8 December 2015
Beautifully written.
on 16 January 2009
de Botton provides wonderful insights into philosophy and the built environment. I really enjoy his personal observations and the blend of pictures, formal "academic" text and witty personal narrative.
on 4 January 2013
I chose this as a gift and the recipient was completely delighted.It arrived quickly , a great book,and no problems at all.
on 5 February 2015