on 21 August 2017
I'm finding this fascinating reading, despite the fact that I have seen the TV series (which, incidentally, is faithful to and brings out the spirit of the book). The book adds detail and commentary on the exploits of one US platoon in the fight to recapture the European mainland after the D-Day landing, including the intense training of the members of the platoon under an Officer in US who came to be hated by them because of his rigour, but whose determination to turn raw recruits into a fighting machine was significantly responsible for their ability to fight the war in overwhelmingly difficult circumstances because of their felt brotherhood. Thoroughly recommended. It will be helpful to read another book which gives a wider account of the campaign before reading this closely-focused and personally-based book.
on 3 October 2017
Stephen Ambrose's detailed and descriptive analysis of the 506th regiment of the 101st Airborne is a riveting account of oral and linear history that chronologically investigates the cultural and social impact of fighting a war on all fronts. It is truly a testimony to Ambrose's historical credentials that this book is still receiving recommendations after 25 years since its release, of course, the popularity of Hanks and Speilbergs mini-series the band of brothers undoubtedly aided its popularity. However, by all accounts, the thematic analysis of brotherhood within war can only be told through inter-personal accounts, which this book certainly achieves. By focusing on a niche of the entire American campaign, he has managed to capture the very essence of war-like conditions, the implications for soldiers fighting side-by-side, from the regiment's inception in Toccoa to the blistering heights of Berchtesgaden. Historically, we tend to focus generally on the concepts of warfare, the political and top-down military history, but here we find a very raw and pure form of historical narrative, that has set a precedent for future historians.

Oral History like this, of course, has its downfalls and subjectivity, however one most surpass the implications of bias and interpretations in order to fully accept what Rankean historians tell us to do, "to tell history as it happened". Historians search desperately for conceptual analysis of the bonds of brotherhood in war, analysing "why we fight", and the culture of war. If I were to give recommendations for budding historians looking for an example of a methodological oral testimony of WWII history, it would be this book. Whilst it may spare us of much emotional trauma due to it the colloquial style of writing, it serves as a reminder to all of us, the brutalities of war and furthermore its allure. In years to come, we will look what on this book and realise that history is not just great men, but companies of great men.

However, on an added note, historians looking for further analysis of the geopolitical implications of war, its beginning and end, the war from the Axis perspective, then I would recommend looking elsewhere, perhaps Ian Kershaw or Richard J. Evans. Of course, this is an American historical testimony with its focus on its own campaign, therefore in order to fully grasp the context of WWII, further reading is a must.
on 27 April 2016
One of the best WW2 books ever written, you really feel like you are there with the men that fought in the war and you feel for their sacrifice. Stephen Ambrose has captured the stories and facts about this group of men that lets the reader really feel how it would have been had we been in the soldiers shoes. Amazing read.
on 20 January 2017
Forget the series, though it was great, the book tells the real story of Easy company. I've read my original copy so many times I had to order another to preserve it. And even now when I read the chapter about Bastogne I get a lump in my throat. I will never stop loving this book. And to quote Mike Ranney when asked by his grandson if he was a hero in the war, No but I served in a company of heroes. If that doesn't make you cry nothing will. I'm off to read my second copy.
on 23 February 2015
Good book especially for the U.S reader . Admirable account of what they went through . Quite resented his portrayal of British military . Then again there was huge anti British sentiment before, during and well after the war . Loses 2 stars from my patriotism as we are made out to be fairly irrelevant .
on 2 May 2012
I watched the TV series and enjoyed this decided to follow up with the book. I was not disappointed and amazed at what I had read on DDay these guys actually did that stuff for real and the Characters really came to life for me. At times your waiting for the next guy in the company to be killed or injured as it apparent once in the fighting to survive you needed lots of luck and good fortune as well as the Currahee training mentality.
Its a great book full of real characters who survived a horrific war, they have made friends for life and this really comes over well.
on 25 July 2013
I have travelled the paths in Normandy with this book as my companion....None of us now reading this history will ever experience what these guys experienced during this time. Ambrose has an enthusiastic ability to assemble the individual accounts from so many veterans of the conflict to make a compelling read.
As this is of course the basis of the mini series, many readers will be able to visually experience that which ones imagination may have difficulty with.
on 30 January 2014
Excellent read and seemingly quite factual.

Having seen the tv series it is very helpful to put real life faces to the characters.

I would recommend this book

As an additional thought is there not a similar well written book and well made film made on the war time activities of our UK forces?

Almost anything Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg do is very good!!
on 2 January 2017
I am a great fan of Band of Brothers and the book is a good read and if you have watched the mini series too you can really visualise events and understand the characters.
on 8 January 2012
I have read this book previously in paperback but decided to make it one of my first Kindle downloads. The only downside to the Kindle version is the lack of photographs - I know that other books have managed to include photographs in the Kindle version so it's a shame that the publisher has chosen not to do so in this case.

Highly recommended for those wishing for the stories told in the TV series to be fleshed out further. I have now also purchased the book written by Major Winters.