on 21 March 2013
The point the author makes is solid, but this could have been an essay or a long article. I believe on some level that the author is absolutely right, to thrive and succeed today, we need to think differently about our career than our parents did and make a living producing work that can not be outsourced. The portfolio exercises are fun Edward de Bono derivatives, a couple of writing and drawing challenges were genuinely fun and surprising. However - in my view we will always need people who choose the "traditional" career paths, as they are often the ones who can build scalable businesses. We cant all work in service businesses, cutting each others hair, polishing each others shoes, doing each others advertising campaigns. Moreover, this kind of book will always be preaching to the choir. A programmer, doctor or solicitor is unlikely to prioritize time to read this book, and thus, this is a book for people already working in the creative right-brained field of business, giving themselves a self-congratulatory pat on the back for being smart enough to choose a right-brained career path. (Myself included. :)I would have given more stars, but the chapters kept losing me for lack of succinctness, the same points are made many times and from many angles. This is of course the mark of a well researched and intelligent piece of work, but I would have enjoyed a tighter edit more.
on 10 October 2014
Enjoyed Daniel Pink’s guide to right brainers and their inevitable ascendancy.

In some ways the book is more of a reference book than a traditional book. Each chapter closes with a ‘portfolio’ - a list of additional reading, web sites, clubs etc relevant to the material in each chapter. And I found myself being drawn into following up on a number of the suggested references from the portfolios.

The recommendation ‘my favourite business book’ from Thomas Friedman (author of the world is flat’) is not surprising. and, for the record, I enjpoyed Friedman’s book also. The theme is that left brain activity is being automated and/or displaced and that therefore in order to ‘prosper’ one needs to develop one’s right brain.

Six right brain activities are discussed:
Design, Story, Symphony, Empathy, Play and Meaning.

and lots of the observations/ ideas rang true with me:

Design: John Haskett: ‘human nature to shape and make our environment, in ways without precedent in nature, to serve our needs and give meaning to our lives’

Story: The general availability of facts reduces their importance

Symphony: Great entrepreneurs are systems thinkers, have a passion for the whole, recignise patterns, demonstrate intuitive, contextual reasoning

Empathy - with increasing automation IQ becoming less importance and EQ more important

Play - SW Airlines: ‘people rarely succeed unless they are having fun doing it’

Meaning - the difference between labyrinths and mazes

The book is thought provoking. Interesting to look at how various corporations have adopted and leveraged some of the ideas. And it will certainly be interesting to see whether the poets win out over the MBAs in years to come.
on 1 January 2018
Great book from one of my favourite journos. A great gift for the creative in your life....of a parting blow for an inattentive, but detail obsesseive soon to be ex-boyfriend.
on 3 May 2009
In this beautifully written book, Daniel Pink points to a shift that we already knew was coming. We have already moved from the industrial age, where manufacturing jobs dominated our societies, to the information age, where the programmers, engineers and medical professionals commandeered our economies into prosperity. However, three things - abundance, asia and automation - is pushing us to the next shift. One that the author calls the Conceptual Age, where creative, synergistic skills, domain of our Right Brain in physiological term, are becoming increasingly important. This book examines what this means, what will the key skills be and how our social preferences, education systems, jobs and ideas need to change to account for this shift.

I shall recommend this book as an essential read for business decision makers, educators and public policy professionals, or anyone wanting to make sense of the future without necessarily wanting to stand in the way of progress.
on 20 November 2016
A great book and a greater inspiration,
on 21 June 2011
I originally bought the audio book and was so impressed I bought the book...I sound like Victor Kiam. The book highlights the changes in society and the business world towards right brain thinking. The global aspects of the changes to industry were enlightening. A good read and as a right brainer evidences that I'm in the right place
on 7 September 2015
a must read, the future is here.
on 9 August 2015
very good
on 8 August 2015
very insightful book
on 2 January 2014
The book is written in a very readable style and full of eye opening insights. Really makes you think about people and their way of responding in various situations.