on 21 May 2010
I bought this to grind spices. Last weekend a friend and I were cooking and needed some ground star anise - large, hard pointy stuff. It took us ages (and a lot of hard work, even taking turns) with a mortar and pestle to grind just 2. Tonight, I used my newly arrived grinder and pulverised about 12 star anise in 20 seconds. Brilliant. The gadget is great and also suprisingly quiet. The downside is that it's tricky to clean. The lid is fine as you can wash it properly - but the bowl can't be immersed in water to clean it. I used a damp cloth in the end. I recommend it, though - it does what it says and saves an awful lot of time and hard work.
11 Comment| 69 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 June 2012
This grinder is exactly what I needed. Grinding up seeds (pumpkin, sesame, sunflower, linseed) is very easy to do. For the price paid it is an absolute bargain. I would say it has been used nearly every day for a minute or two. A word of advice, if grinding things up very finely, don't go beyond 20-25 seconds. Even though it says 30 seconds on the lid. Just give it a bit of time in between. I have found that 20-25 seconds is more than enough time to grind to powder. If you grind several loads at a time (like I do) it is very simple and not time consuming at all. Will be having a crack at coffee soon.

A down side is when cleaning the grinder, it is not possible to remove the blades. A brush gets the majority of trapped powder out and a wipe clean with a damp cloth does the job. It is just a bit more awkward.

I used to store the grinder with the cap off and the plug in the dish. Not realising that the plug had cracked the plastic cap onto of the blades. Since then bits of the cap and plastic surround have broken off. Today enough of the plastic surround was broken that the blade came loose and so the grinder is now broken and pretty much useless

Overall, a good grinder but treat it with more care than I did if you want it to last
on 11 April 2017
Perfect
on 3 January 2012
Fine for spices - rubbish for grinding coffee for more than one person. I also found that grinding was not consistent and some particles are small whilst others are quite large - I've tried various quantities to see if there was an improvement, but there isn't!
on 13 August 2017
Not sure about the 5cm lead that won't reach any plug socket
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 July 2017
Quality as expected!
on 5 August 2010
Small and compact doesnt take much room in your kitchen, I use it to grind coffee and it does just that, the speed is excellent, can grind coffee within 30 seconds to the consistency you need. You get to control it by the button on the front, its very safe. A very good product at a reasonable price.
on 28 May 2011
I am getting good use out of this little grinder. I use it for nuts, seeds and coffee beans. It does not have a particularly powerful motor, but does a good job grinding nuts and seeds finely and is excellent value at the price. It grinds small gritty seeds very finely, such as flaxseed and sesame. I use it in a pulsing action, such as 20 to 30 short bursts. This helps protect the motor from overheating. I have had problems with that before in other models. Large nuts like brazils need cutting up first so I usually do them in a small blender/chopper and then transfer to the Lloytron for fine grinding.
The lid is a bit fiddly to take on and off as noted by others, but no big problem and I find it easy enough to clean. Addendum: I've had this grinder for some months now and it continues to work very well. I'm sure the pulsing action I use helps protect the motor. Only use it for dry ingredients and take care not to overload it. Adding stodgy things like dried fruit will put too much strain on the motor.
on 30 November 2010
Bought this grinder via Amazon in July 2010. Used it once to grind some spices then stored in kitchen for 4 months. Tried to use again recently and the grinder rotor just doesn't spin any more. Also, the cord storage mechanism is a dog and the plastic on/off switch which also acts as a top cover latch is flimsy and not likely to last very long before breaking. Absolute rubbish product.
on 20 November 2011
this isnt a 'burr' coffee bean grinder- this is a blade grinder, i cant imagine why it has burr in the description
44 Comments| 33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse