Customer reviews

Format: Vinyl|Change

on 23 June 2017
This is beautiful and awful in equal measure! It really is so bad it's good! Honestly Bob, what were you thinking ($$$ I guess)
on 7 October 2016
Excellent stuff.....Just bought a vinyl one so that it sounds so 'Christmassy' !
on 26 May 2017
Bought more as a charity donation
on 21 March 2017
Good value arrived quiet late
on 17 January 2011
These carols are arranged and performed by Dylan's superb backing band... In my view the best band he has ever had.. beautiful carols sung in an unmistakable Dylan style... i bought this as a Christmas present for a pal who was not a Dylan fan but he could not stop playing it!!
CONTENT:

“Christmas in the Heart” by Bob Dylan, released by Columbia Records in US in 2009, contains 15 christmas hymns. I have compiled a song listing (including album label & number, chart position & year of release)(BB200=Billboard Album Chart; UK ALBUM=UK Album Chart):

LP “CHRISTMAS IN THE HEART” (Bob Dylan)(Columbia 57323)(BB200 57/2009; UK ALBUM 40/2009):
01 Here Comes Santa Claus
02 Do You Hear What I Hear
03 Winter Wonderland
04 Hark The Herald Angels Sing
05 I’ll Be Home for Christmas
06 Little Drummer Boy
07 The Christmas Blues
08 O’ Come All Ye Faithful (Adeste Fideles)
09 Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas
10 Must Be Santa
11 Silver Bells
12 The First Noel
13 Christmas Island
14 First Christmas Song
15 O’ Little Town of Bethlehem

POSITIVE POINTS:

1 “Christmas in the Heart” was Bob’s 34th studio album and his first Christmas album. It comprises a collection of hymns, carols, and popular Christmas songs. All Dylan's royalties from the sale of this album benefited the charities Feeding America in the USA, Crisis in the UK, and the World Food Programme. Dylan said that, although Jewish, he never felt left out of Christmas during his childhood in Minnesota. Regarding the popularity of Christmas music, he said, "... it's so worldwide and everybody can relate to it in their own way." This album actually debut at #1 on Billboard's Holiday and Billboard's Folk Album Charts, #10 on Rock Album charts and #23 on overall album charts.
2 The sound is very well remastered, unlike his latest release, “Fallen Angels” with NO remastering whatsoever!

NEGATIVE POINT:

None.

FINAL THOUGHTS:

“Christmas in The Heart” was Bob’s 34th studio album release, with great sound. Being a Bob Dylan fan and a collector, this set was his first Christmas album release, and is a welcome addition to my Bob Dylan album library. This set is of course recommended to all Bob Dylan fans.
on 2 November 2010
Ok, I know that Dylan can do no wrong, but a Christmas album? Well, when I first heard about it, I was skeptical to say the least, and when it was released and I found it on my Amazon recommendations list, I passed the opportunity to buy it as I thought it was not worth it. Luckily it was given to me as a gift and my skepticism proved to be wrong.

This is a wonderful Christmas album, with well loved Christmas songs like `Little Drummer Boy' and `Winter Wonderland' to name just a few, it is an alternative to the usual Christmas music and it is so much fun to listen to. Apparently Dylan can do no wrong even where Christmas albums are concerned.

If like me, you did not buy this when it was released, get it now and don't spend another Christmas without it. And the best thing about it; Dylan is donating all royalties from the sales of the recordings to homeless charities; excellent Christmas spirit.

Have a very Happy Christmas!!!
on 31 December 2009
I love love love this CD. I adore Dylan anyway but this is something different. It's kind of like someone in the family having fun with Christmas songs-simple, pure, fun with the essence of the 1950's. Definitely not over produced, but produced from the Heart! It's made my Christmas -I can now evoke the Christmas feeling that I want year after year. Thank you Bob!xx
on 11 October 2009
So what's the difference between the regular and the Deluxe copy of this CD? The deluxe version contains 5 greetings cards bearing the same picture as the album cover which, I guess, are limited editions. Now back to the album.

Listening to a preview of these tracks a week ago I assumed that Dylan fans would buy this with a completely uncritical ear - and that these fans would probably be the same ones who'd hated 'Self Portrait,' now mellow and soft shoe shuffling along to 'Winter Wonderland' and bopping to 'Here Comes Santa Claus'. But then I realised that Dylan has constantly added new generations to his fan base so it is more difficult to make predictions concerning his newer listeners. I didn't know what to expect but then, I thought, 'nothing will surprise me with Dylan.' There has been a lot of merit in his last four albums - though I believe they are over-rated on account of The 'BobCat' factor which must opine that the master can do no wrong these days. This album can hardly be judged alongside his recent studio work as it is pure Christmas 'Product' and, without its status as a 'Charity Record' would be less easily forgiven - though to many of his fans Dylan can do no wrong.

'Christmas In The Heart' sounds as though Dylan has enlisted The Mike Sammes Singers/King Brothers and somehow pasted The Andrews Sisters into the mix. Where this album follows in the wake of his last couple of albums is in Dylan's ear for that 'Old Timey' music, reflected in the choice of album cover and in much of the music played on 'Theme Time Radio Hour'. This music oozes Christmas past.

With the album playing on a continual loop I came to a deeper enjoyment of it as I listened, 'The Little Drummer Boy' is quite affecting in Dylan's burnt out vocal, 'Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas' which I confess to quite enjoying though not necessarily in the spirit I should do. Dylan intones rather than sings it. 'Do You Hear What I Hear?' [Ahem] 'The First Noel',[with a heavy Andrews Sisters sound] 'Oh Come All Ye Faithful', a slightly strained vocal as Dylan tries for notes beyond his reach and rasps out the latin verse with comic pronunciation; a frantic 'Must Be Santa Claus', a croaked 'Oh Little Town Of Bethlehem' and a mellow 'I'll Be Home For Christmas''. - '[I Guess I've Got] The Christmas Blues' sounded as though it could be an original but now I have the full credits instead of an info free demo I find it isn't. Another 'stand out' track is 'If You've Ever Spent Christmas On Christmas Island' to the tune of Patsy Cline's 'Have You Ever Been Lonely' and awash with Hawaiian guitars The whole concept is a link back to the late forties and early fifties, in particular to Bing Crosby purveyor of many a Christmas album. Dylan has included three of the songs most closely identified with Crosby--"I'll Be Home for Christmas" (1943), "Silver Bells" (1952), and "Do You Hear What I Hear?"[1962]

So what do I think? Well it's a 'Christmas Album by Dylan' - art imitates history. For back in the late sixties there was a rumoured bootleg of 'Dylan's unreleased 'Christmas Album' and there was even mock up art work and a tracklist. But considering I'm impervious to Dylan's X Factor [I can't give him 5 stars automatically because he's DYLAN!'] this album grew on me with each listening and Dylan charmed his way so far into my consciousness that I was humming and singing along to myself as I went through the rest of the day.

This is a 'Good' record but not a great one,there are few 'Great' Christmas records, though, A Christmas Gift For You from Phil Spector [Digitally Remastered By Phil Spector], is certainly one that I'll be playing alongside Dylan come Christmas. Unlike some of my detractors I can't automatically award 'Christmas In The Heart', five stars just because it is by Bob Dylan and the royalties are all going to charity.
on 20 November 2009
An unexpected release? Yes.
A surreal album? Yes.
A grower? Surprisingly yes.

Hey - I'm a Dylan nut like a lot of you out there and was entirely sceptical of this project to say the least. Like you, I listened to the 30 second sound clips initially posted on Amazon. Like you, I shook my head in despair at what I heard. One for completists only I thought. However, give the album or selected tracks a few plays and it may just win you over. I kid you not. Go on - give it a go. It is Christmas afterall.

Thanks Bob and a Merry Christmas to you.
11 Comment| 37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse