on 10 February 2018
Fabulous!
Bought to replace the cheap rubbish MOTU supply with their 828mk3 Hybrid audio interface - shame on MOTU for that.
I use it between the interface and my wonderful Mac Pro mid 2010. No problems at all with this cable.
The cable MOTU supplied with my interface caused random audio artefacts when touched.
This cable can be wiggled as much as I like with no artefacts.
The cable I bought is the FW800 9pin to 9pin 2 metres - and is exactly as described.
Very happy with this purchase.
on 5 December 2017
Had been running an external drive over USB since a mac upgrade. (Mac changed from 4 to 6 pin plug at the time and I didn't have the right cable.) Having just upgraded the internal drive to an SSD, the external drive became onerously slow in comparison. Having switched the wires and selected firewire on the external drive, the result was instantaneous. First indication was the drive access went from occasional 'tick' to staccato drum roll, images started streaming off and appearing in Photo. Perfect. (Not sure what it will do to the several year old drive - but then, that's what Time Machine is for...!)
on 13 January 2018
Works perfectly to connect my Panasonic digital tape Video camera to my 2011 iMac. I can now download my mini digital tapes to iMove and transfer the result to other media. Much cheaper than buying Mac adapters and cables!
on 22 September 2012
No problems with this product - no gold plating on the outer bit of the mini plug, but the contacts appear to be gold plated. No fancy flourishes, perhaps might not stand so many insertions/removals as a costlier cable, but at this price, buy a few just in case. Cables usually die of abuse, rather than old age.

As another reviewer said, be aware of the fact that there are a couple of mini firewire plugs - this is the 4 pin sort, suitable for most firewire camcorders. Worked fine between my macbook pro and an old Canon MV600. Many DV camcorders can function as a webcam when plugged in, which is handy.

Summary - it's a cable, it works fine, it's a really good price and it arrived unfeasibly quickly. Can't fault it.
on 2 May 2014
If used to connect DV camera to Mac, the camera appears to be recognised by OSX, and some controls are available in Adobe Premier, but won't capture, and iMovie does not detect the camera at all.

Found that the similarly priced Belkin cable did work and DV camera is detected by iMovie and imports without any problems - hence it's an issue with this cable, and not the Mac or camera.

It may work with other Firewire devices, but didn't work with a DV camera.
on 3 March 2016
I bought this cable to connect an old DV video camera to my MacPro so I could import the DV video tapes.

Works perfectly and a fair price.

Update Feb 2016 - I dug this out the other day to import a couple of tapes for a friend, still working now just fine (and so is the 10+ year old Sony camera !)
on 2 March 2018
The cable worked perfectly with my video camera, but needed a thunderbolt lead for Imac. I have been able to put all my old videos onto my computer.
on 6 March 2011
This cable is a chunky qaulity cable with fairly decent screening and solid connectors (not gold). I use it to connect my Sony mini DV camcorder to my iMac. Works a treat.

2 points to note:
I ordered a 2m cable and received a 5 metre one. I'm not that bothered, but if not having a mess of cable is important to you, be insistent in the comments when ordering.
The cable is pretty thick and stiff - all good stuff, but if you want a neat cheeky little one for travelling in your backpack, bear this in mind.

All in all, I'm very pleased.
on 2 April 2013
Having just purchased a new iMac (late 2012), I wanted to be able to connect a Sony TRV30E camcorder to the new iMac via the Apple Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter.

Having read the very helpful reviews, I just wanted to reiterate, this cable simply works. No other adapters are required, the 9 pin connects perfectly to Apple's Thunderbolt adapter and the 4 pin fits snugly to the Sony camcorder.

When I opened iMovie '11, the camera was seen immediately. If you have a Sony camcorder or 4 pin Firewire connector and want to import DV video into a new iMac, then this is cable is an essential piece of kit.
on 27 March 2013
Bought this to connect my MacBook Pro to the Mini DV Camcorder which I borrowed from a friend to convert videos. The cable is of rather good built quality and worked well on simple Plug-n-Play bases. Why spend over £20 for such cables from Apple when you such cables on Amazon via Resellers here!

This cable does what it says, great for connecting Mini DV Camcorders to your MacBook Pro and it's cheaper than a meal at McDonlads!