on 1 April 2008
My son and I have been waiting for the second book from Derek Landry since finishing the first Skulduggery Pleasent.

We devoured it as soon as it got into greedy hands. Neither of us were disappointed. It starts at a fast pace and doesn't slow down carrying you away on this exhilirating adventure.

Derek Landy has a brilliant way of creating belivable characters. My son describes Skulduggery as a skeletal Dr Who without the time travel, just the quick wit and whacky humour.

If you haven't read this book yet then please do. It is a book you can share as a family, as it is not age dependant.
on 24 September 2009
I absolutely adored Skulduggery Pleasant; I counted down the days until the sequel was released, bought it the second it came onto the shelves and had read it within hours. (:

`Playing with Fire' lives up to the original book and more as we carry on where we left Valykrie, developing her powers and fighting bad guys, bigger and more horrid than before. With the help of her reflection she spends each day battling with evil, but will she start to miss the home life the `fake' her is living? Or will the mysterious beings, magic powers and constant time off school be enough to keep her happy?!

Each page is bursting with action and thrills and the hilariously quick witted humour of Derek Landy runs perfectly with the mysterious storyline. The characters from the first book stay put and new ones are introduced, from the lovely to the bizarre. Each chapter is described with fantastic detail, and the fight scenes (which I usually find boring in books) are packed with adrenaline, excitement and fear.

I haven't enjoyed a children's fantasy book series this much since Harry Potter. Read all of them. Instantly.
on 28 July 2009
My daughter is 11yrs old and so I had a peek at a couple or three chapters to make sure they were ok (censored them in other words).
I only meant to read a couple of pages, the books were so enthralling that it took some one else to remind me I'd bought them for my daughter.

When my daughter read them, I had to ask her to mark the page and save some for tommorrow- she would have read all night.
Brilliantly written and VERY enthralling.
BUY THEM FOR YOUR CHILDREN!
on 19 May 2012
I'm going to avoid discussing plot etc. and just say this book is utter escapism. More fun, excitement and dark humour from Derek Landy. Read this in about two days. To help you with your buying decision these comments are coming from a 29 year old fan of harry potter, hell boy, buffy the vampire slayer and discworld. If you like any of these you'll probably like this.
on 24 October 2011
SKULDUGGERY PLEASANT:PLAYING WITH FIRE was absolutely awesome! There was loads of action, humour, adventure and a storyline to rival HARRY POTTER. There was a gripping battle at the end that will look brilliant when the films are made! I can't wait! I'm ordering book 3 right now. I highly recommend the SKULDUGGERY PLEASANT series because they are scary, funny and action-packed with a cool and original stroyline. I laughed over and over again! AWESOME! 10/10!
on 20 November 2013
Some books go down hill after the first with the same old thing happening, well not with Derek Landy writing! They just get better and better, more thrilling and darker, with the same genius wit that makes the normally boring bits the complete opposite of boring.

If you read the first one there is no way you can stop now!
on 30 September 2013
Let's get it out of the way from the start: I'm from the Douglas Adams & Terry Pratchett generation (never really took to Tolkien). I should be too old to read these, but they are so easy to read, whilst offering just enough of a challenge to spark imaginative intelligence. This is the second book (and my second). The goodies are engaging and unique; the baddies, however, are perhaps a little one-dimensional; and bear a striking resemblance to the baddies in Book 1. Despite this, the story moves apace and there are a few little teasers on the way, giving the reader a chance to try and second-guess the plot. You will probably be wrong - as in all good tales. Stephanie/Valkyrie's back-story is engaging and adds some welcome comic relief to the action. I'll be reading Book 3 soon... then maybe 4... and 5...
on 2 December 2013
This is the second book in Skulduggery series. In my opinion Derek Landy is one of the best writers. Thanks to him my daughter now in love with book! This book has an interesting plot (as all the others)and each chapter is full of excitements and adventures. Also I want to mention that vocabulary is very rich (especially for those who's English the second language).
on 6 October 2008
This book is fast paced action and it delivers. If you're expecting an exceptional use of the english language then prepare to be disappointed. It is a fun and delicious fantasy story that combines many different elements the young girl on a quest, the oddball hero and the battle between good and evil, all used to great effect. It is not a pretentious book but a simple read no word weaving only action. But read this before bed and be prepared to have a smile on your face. I was left wishing I was Valkyrie Cain and I wanted to be 10 again so I could reenact some of the fight scenes without looking too silly.
on 4 July 2009
I thoroughly enjoyed the first Skulduggery Pleasant book and I looked forward to this one. However, I found myself a little disappointed. The sharp and witty dialogue is still present which really lifts the novel as a whole but I do think there should be a balance between action and slower-paced moments of reflection. This book, especially in the second half, seemed to be one fight after another. At one point there was a series of chapters which all included big fist, magic or sword fights and then, following that, there was actually a chaper entitled 'Fight'- it grew a bit tiresome to be honest.
The action is non-stop but at the detriment of character development which is a shame as they seem like pretty cool characters on the whole.